British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayTShirts

** Cardiff Gp Music / Presentation **

The best Queen appreciation concert I've ever been to. :rolleyes:

Land of hope & glory, great...........once.

Queen.... total overkill all night including the karioke singer in the interval & the firework display.

Chumbawumba everytime there was an accident was totally annoying (especially when riders weren't gettting knocked down & getting up again).

Family fortunes sound effect everytime the red light came on.........nuff said.

Ride on time before every bleedin' heat.........nuff said.

& as for the schoolboy nudge nudge wink wink song directed at Nikki P.........I wouldn't allow you anywhere near a public address system again. I presume you are the same guy that had Kevin Bloody Wilson complete with F words blaring out at Coventry the other week.....grow up.

Other than that, a first class effort.

:rolleyes:

Cheers :)

Johno told us to play those tracks specifically :)

In particular i would like to know why on earth it was thought to be a good idea to play music over the riders at the tapes and even into the first bend? Sorry for banging on about it but it really annoyed me and i would like to know the reasoning behind it.

Thanks for replying superbart, have you an answer for the above question please.

Looks like no change then :rolleyes:

Edited by paulc

Yes, I found that a little strange myself! I thought Great Britain consisted of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Not just England.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, not Great Britain

FTM GIVE US A WAVE 1.gif

Hi Shaz cant give you a wave for two reasons

1 I don,t know how to find the icons cos I ,m not very p/c trained :unsure:

2 We haven,t got a wave on our p/c :lol:

But I can give you a big hug and a kiss it was great to see you at the weekend and also eveyone else I have lost contact with since Oxford closed down

That didn,t come out very well cos I obviously don,t want to kiss and hug the guys

But Shazzybird and all other girls I know come and get it xxxxx :wink:

Cheers Mick - shame that cost cutting prevents a better track. So one rider complains and all the 'shale' has to come off ?? - do we get to guess the nationality of the complainer ??

Hi Paulc - pity you couldnt get a more original forum name :wink::wink: and I hope you support a better team than Paulco (speedway and football) :wink:

Hi paulr thx for replying I would not want to reveal the rider in question as that would be very unproffessional on my part but he was actually nominated by the majority of riders to speak on their behalf as in their opinion the work done by us, on their suggestion, on the track by going the opposite way was the best way of getting the surface as good as possible for the semis.

Edited by Fat Tractor Man

In case anyone was wondering the flames at the Pits Gate and on the start line were Bl***y hot .I was stood about 10 feet away on the slope by the pits gate and got an instant tan in about 1.2 seconds.

:D :D

I did wonder - Question answered ;)

At the end of the day the people who are important re potential rebookings etc are IMG ...

So, not a lot of point in asking for opinions then. :blink:

Other than that, a first class effort.

:rolleyes:

Lt: spot on my man, spot on

Thanks for replying superbart, have you an answer for the above question please.

Looks like no change then :rolleyes:

We did want feedback its very useful, I simply meant its IMG who could potentially book us in the future so the main aim was to impress them.

Re the above, Yeah IMG requested music from tapes to stop after the riders reached the first bend, we were allowed to make suggestions but they were our employer on the day and we did as we were told.

Again thanks for the input we really want people to enjoy the day, thats my final word on it for this year, hopefully we'll have the chance to discuss it again next year if we get the privelidge and if not we'll be there cheering on the Brits as we have been every year ;)

Edited by Superbart

Good job well done Superbart, but with a bit of room for improvement for next year...

e.g Motorhead's "Bomber" for Chris Harris, "Nickles and Dimes" by Dolly Parton for Scot Nicholls, and you'll have to get a band to do a bespoke version of "Tai Me Woffinden Down" for next year, 'cause he's going to be there for the next one, and find something a bit more Aussie for the real Aussies. Mind you, it does kind of rely on these guys winning races.

Is it all cheesy? Yes of course it is. Just as cheesy as any pantomime. Just as cheesy as "You'll Never Walk Alone" at Anfield. But I think that people like it that way on the whole. It's called entertainment. If anyone wanted originality, they could have gone to see the Zutons at Canock Chase instead.

The Last Night of the Proms stuff was great. "You're a Blanker" was very risque, and I was holding my breath for you on that one mate! But hey, you got away with it, so the boundary is set back a bit more now.

Only let down was the accoustics. As someone said, it all sounded rather tinny. It needs discussions with a proper PA company to do it all justice, especially as the stage etc all faces the cameras and the rich people on the home straight, whereas us mere mortals are in the poor seats on the bends and the back straight. We got too much tinniness and too much echo, and not nearly enough bass. Oh, and it's not Perry Barr...you CAN turn the volume up a notch or two too! The neigbours won't complain...

SuperBart,

Great job at Cardiff, you have made one of the best British sports moments in history playing 'Land of hope and Glory' as Chris limped off of the track. SKY will use that for years! 'I'm a Blanker' made us all laff'

A fantastic atmosphere made very much better by your music!

Good job fella and I hope that you get the gig next year! Even my family who watched it on SKY commented on how the music fitted the bill!

Been at all of the Cardiff's with my rider, but this was the best by far!

Good job chap!

I thought it was really good.

Music is very much down to peoples tastes, No matter how good it was people will always moan about something. somebody will love say the individual riders music but the next person will find it not there cup of tea.Even if he followed up every suggestion something else would then be pointed out. 45,000 people in the stadium and i would imagine 70% were happy and enough were joining in with the songs. Cardiff is the best GP of the year and a few of the riders commented how good it was. Chris helped towards creating the atmosphere and i am sure he has learnt a great deal from his 1st GP Presentation as Birmingham is very different to doing Cardiff. I hope he gets the chance to do 2009.

The meeting was held up a few times with the crashes and there was alot of time to fill.

Congratulations Chris, alot of time and effort has gone into your work. Try not to worry about the moaners on here as they come out thick and fast. Let them have no music and Peter Yorke next june and see how happy they are then.

Cardiff has that party atmosphere about it, we wait all year for it and you would think for 1 night people could lighten up a little. Maybe they can sort a Victor meldrew section for the non party music lovers with headphones with classical music...............

Edited by Coventry_Bee

I think you'll find the majority of folk couldn't give a monkeys about the music.

I thought the fence had been well inflated & was regularly topped up, the hot dogs were kept uniformily warm, the infield carpet could have been rolled out more neatly, and the trackstaff looked lovely in what appeared from a distance to be cast off jockeys' hats (yes, I know they were official SGP merchandise).

All of which contributed as much to the evening as The Bloke With The CDs.

So the irritating music continuing into the races was IMGs idea? So that's okay - following the instructions of IMG will ensure that it'll be your CDs that are an incidental part of the evening next year. The key part being incidental.

Just to step in here, as the thread has clearly got a bit silly :rolleyes:

We took this booking following the Speedway World Cup at Coventry in 2007. IMG were suitably impressed with the presentation on that evening and many of our traditions were used at Cardiff on Saturday.

The people who booked us liked what we did at Coventry, they were also very happy with Saturdays meeting at Cardiff too.

The SGP team are extremely professional and every last detail is thought through in advance, including final preparations on the day to check that every part of the show goes to plan, our intentions were also discussed during these meetings.

Yes we acted on their instructions as our employer for the day.

Yes I feel the day went very well.

And Yes I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your feedback I would also like to say to those forum members who have afforded constructive criticism that it is very much appreciated. We know what we like, we know what many other people like but as this forum demonstrates, Speedway fans are a very mixed bag and needless to say we are never going to please everyone all the time, we know that is not possible. As Chris (Superbart) has stated, we value your feedback and we are pleased that the general consensus is that the majority appreciated our efforts.

We do not plan on replying to each and every question thrown at us, this thread could continue for weeks or months if we did that, there was over 5 hours worth of music and jingles played over the evening any one of which may be scrutinised, however needless to say that the event was massive, and we have taken on board some of your points for future meetings.

We are aware of the issues that people have brought up that they did not enjoy and will assess whether we want to change or consider it necessary to change our presentation in the future. These decisions will be made with the mass audience taken into account rather than the minority however.

The reason for the thread being started was not to stroke our egos, merely to gauge an honest opinion of the cross section of fans that come onto these forums, some are young, some are old, some are rockers, some are clubbers, some correctly :shock: thought Nicki did nothing wrong on the night and others think he is a cheat (save that for another thread LOL) some are very intelligent and others not so, some of us look for problems and some of us are extremely politically correct, some of us are game for a giggle and some fun, some of you wanted it quieter, and some of you wanted it louder.

We certainly hope to be a part of the Cardiff 2009 SGP (incidental or otherwise), the 2008 event has been the highlight of the speedway side of our lives so far.

These forums are a great place to complain, moan and whinge and so we are extremely proud that we have received some great comments, that is certainly a rarity in our new internet world! My personal thought was to leave the original thread as it was as some nice feedback was coming through naturally, asking for your specific opinions on this new thread was our decision so that we could get specific feedback, of course we prefer the positives but all the negatives have helped as well.

Please do not misjudge this post as attempting to defend ourselves, we do not feel that we have to do that, but I did want to make my own personal feelings known as well as those of our combined efforts. Thank you also for your kind suggestions not to be to downhearted by the feedback, that was never going to be the case.

Thanks and we hope to entertain you some time soon. :wink:

Rich

have to say music was topclass this year hope youre back next year, my 10 year old said unprompted the musics better this year. well done.

Yes, best year ever music wise, also nice and LOUD! :approve:

I can't help but think back to last year when Chris won. The atmosphere then was amazing but what a difference it would have made if the patriotic songs had been played then. The fans would have lifted the roof off. :lol: