British Speedway Forum
Halifaxtiger

1973 International Series

One of my earliest childhood memories of speedway was the run off between Collins and Michanek.

Did anyone get to go to this and, if they did, just how good was it ?

This is the one from the final

Tough on Michanek I thought-why not re run it??

I went to the Final and a few of the "League Matches" which led up to Wembley.

This was an excellent tournament with all the World Stars coming over here to ride in it. The only senior track not to have a meeting allocated to it was Coatbridge, but why I do not know. Some tracks had two meetings so it should have been possible to stage one of the matches in Scotland. It was all sponsored by the Daily Mirror who were backing Speedway at that time. This bought countrywide recognition. Unfortunately a couple of the early matches fell victim to the British weather but it soon turned for the better. The Grand Final @ Wembley finishing in the Collins - Michanek incident divided opinions and some still say Mitchanek "did no wrong". Rather like Carter - Penhall in fact. Also on Final night the Empire (Eng/Aust/NZ) Select took on The World Select consisting of the other Countries in the Tournament.

It would be impossible to have such an event nowadays I suppose. If it could happen there would have to be big backers for sure, Speedway just doesn't get that sort nowadays

Edited by star ghost

I remember this because it was my first Wembley meeting, It was probably the first time England (gb) didnot contain certain new zealanders IM BB RM etc;

Peter Collins was the new up and coming superstar and Michanek the established super hero(world champion1974?).

Looking at the replay now it does not looklike much of a shunt.

But on the night the crowd were to a man on there feet screaming off at Michanek.

I think the classic race at hyde road, between the two was shortly after this meeting.

I seem to remember it was a double header also featuring a second half gb versus the rest of world. Maybe the powers that be considered the main event was not strong enough.

Was it the next year we was back at wembley to see an all english riders win in the world team cup.

I went to the Final and a few of the "League Matches" which led up to Wembley.

This was an excellent tournament with all the World Stars coming over here to ride in it. The only senior track not to have a meeting allocated to it was Coatbridge, but why I do not know. Some tracks had two meetings so it should have been possible to stage one of the matches in Scotland. It was all sponsored by the Daily Mirror who were backing Speedway at that time. This bought countrywide recognition. Unfortunately a couple of the early matches fell victim to the British weather but it soon turned for the better. The Grand Final @ Wembley finishing in the Collins - Michanek incident divided opinions and some still say Mitchanek "did no wrong". Rather like Carter - Penhall in fact. Also on Final night the Empire (Eng/Aust/NZ) Select took on The World Select consisting of the other Countries in the Tournament.

It would be impossible to have such an event nowadays I suppose. If it could happen there would have to be big backers for sure, Speedway just doesn't get that sort nowadays

Yes, I was at Wembley that night too. (South Stand Entrance 48 Row 11 Seat 5 - Yes, I still have my ticket!)

I have nothing to add to what star ghost says about the tournament itself. It did gain a lot of publicity for the sport.

As for the incident itself, I thought that the ref made the right decision on the night and, having just looked at it again, courtesy of frigbo's link, I still think it was the right decision.

Incidentally, my ticket cost £1.50.

Was this the tournament sponsored by the Daily Mirror,or am I barking up the wrong tree again. I seem to remember the Russians at Somerton Park around that time.

It was all sponsored by the Daily Mirror who were backing Speedway at that time.

Was this the tournament sponsored by the Daily Mirror,or am I barking up the wrong tree again.

Looks like it was, Diebowers... :wink:

Edited by norbold

Looks like it was, Diebowers... :wink:

:oops: Forgot I read that :oops::lol:

Ah well norbold,if nothing else,it proves my memory is fading as well as my eyesight :lol:

I was there too,on the back straight,entering turn 3.

Im on Michaneks side on this one.He and Sweden were robbed! My hero was,and still is Christer Lofqvist.He was sublime round Wembley.

For me it was an almost perfect tournament.Great meetings all over the Country.I managed to get to 5 of them,plus the Final.

Wonderful days.

Think I'm right in saying there was a brilliant match between us and Sweden at Sheffield in that series, which included a brilliant race with PC and Eric Boocock against Tommy Jansson and someone else, where both Brits were buzzing around the Swedes for all four laps before making outside dives. It finished 4-2 and effectively won the match. Think PC and Michanek ended all square in that one, but would love to read the heat details if anyone has them to hand.

BTW, PC was unquestionably dumped in that run-off. Not that I'm biased!! :wink:

i went to england v poland at hackney, new zealand v russia at reading and if my memorys working england v new zealand at wimbledon. i also went to the final at wembley, those were the days.

I was there too,on the back straight,entering turn 3.

Im on Michaneks side on this one.He and Sweden were robbed! My hero was,and still is Christer Lofqvist.He was sublime round Wembley.

For me it was an almost perfect tournament.Great meetings all over the Country.I managed to get to 5 of them,plus the Final.

Wonderful days.

lofqvist along with ronnie moore were my big heroes as a child. i saw his first meeting in this country against my beloved dons at west ham. his 15 point maximum for the hammers at wembley has to be one of the finest perfomances at a new track. although watching pavlic get a 21 point maximum at arena last night runs it very close.

Think I'm right in saying there was a brilliant match between us and Sweden at Sheffield in that series, which included a brilliant race with PC and Eric Boocock against Tommy Jansson and someone else, where both Brits were buzzing around the Swedes for all four laps before making outside dives. It finished 4-2 and effectively won the match. Think PC and Michanek ended all square in that one, but would love to read the heat details if anyone has them to hand.

here you go andy from an old programme i have in my collection i also think this meeting may well have been shown on TV at the time because i have seen the final heat you are talking about (on an aces of yesteryear video i think) and the picture is of TV quality and it was a superb race :approve:

ENGLAND 40

Ray Wilson 3 0 3 3 - 9

John Louis 1 2 1 0 - 4

Eric Boocock 1* 2* 1 1 - 5 (2)

Martin Ashby ef 0 1 - 1

Peter Collins 3 3 1 3 - 10

Reg Wilson 3 2 3 3 f - 11

Doug Wyer 0 0 - 0

SWEDEN 38

Anders Michanek 2 1* 2* 2 - 7 (2)

Soren Sjosten 0 2 3 3 - 8

Bernt Persson 3 3 2 2 - 10

Tommy Jansson 2 1 2 0 - 5

Bengt Jansson 1* 0 0 - 1 (1)

Christer Lofqvist 1* 1 2* 1* - 5 (3)

Bengt Larsson 2 0 0 - 2

1; Ray Wilson, Michanek, Louis, Sjosten 4 - 2

2; Reg Wilson, Larsson, Lofqvist, Wyer 3 - 3 7 - 5

3; Collins, T Jansson, B Jansson, Ashby 3 - 3 10 - 8

4; Persson, Reg Wilson, Boocock, Larsson 3 - 3 13 - 11

5; Collins, Sjosten, Michanek, Ashby 3 - 3 16 - 14

6; Persson, Louis, Lofqvist, Ray Wilson 2 - 4 18 - 18

7; Reg Wilson, Boocock, T Jansson, B Jansson 5 - 1 23 - 19

8; Sjosten, Lofqvist, Louis, Wyer 1 - 5 24 - 24

9; Reg Wilson, Persson, Collins, Larsson 4 - 2 28 - 26

10; Ray Wilson, T Jansson, Lofqvist, Louis 3 - 3 31 - 29

11; Sjosten, Michanek, Boocock, Reg Wilson(F) 1 - 5 32 - 34

12; Ray Wilson, Persson, Ashby, B Jansson 4 - 2 36 - 36

13; Collins, Michanek, Boocock, T Jansson 4 - 2 40 - 38

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Brian Collins International Speedway Tiscali site has details & programme cover scans for all the meetings under the section "1973 Tournament"