British Speedway Forum
Halifaxtiger

1973 International Series

I uploaded the fantastic last race from the Sheffield England v Sweden meeting to Youtube some time ago and embedded the link on my blogsite

You can see it again by going to ...

England v Sweden (Sheffield) Final Race at SpeedwayOnDisc.Blogspot.com

Just watched it - great ride by Collins.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I had a tot up and theoretically the PL could put on a similar competition- England, Scotland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Sweden, Australia & Poland/Germany as teams............

Doubt it, somehow :(

I uploaded the fantastic last race from the Sheffield England v Sweden meeting to Youtube some time ago and embedded the link on my blogsite

You can see it again by going to ...

England v Sweden (Sheffield) Final Race at SpeedwayOnDisc.Blogspot.com

What a cracking race!

I was at Wembley too having done a bunk rather rudely from a friend's wedding celebrations in Southampton.

Earlier I had attended the famous Poland v Russia match at Halifax in which Zenon Plech made his UK debut.

Great stuff.

Coatbridge were probably excluded from having a match because it was too far North.Certainly the programmes from that time were scathing of the fact we were the only track not to stage an international

Tough on Michanek I thought-why not re run it??

There's no rule which then (or now..) could possibly have allowed a simple rerun with both riders..

The call had to be either that PC fell in a normal racing incident or that Michanek's manoeuvre was illegal meaning the Swede had to be excluded.

Of course the latter was the case... :approve:

Was it the next year we was back at wembley to see an all english riders win in the world team cup.

Well, no actually it was the same year: 1973....

Finally got to see England v Sweden at Wembley on a DVD I got off t'internet. Finally? When it was initially shown on the box it was on too late for me to stay up, something like that can seriously mess a kid up. Query: What was Ole Olsen doing in the pits all suited and booted? I know riders often pop in various meets to watch, help their mates, catch up on goss (!), but Olsen was in his Wolves leathers wearing his red neckscarf like he was ready to ride: a possible international guest? Curious....

Finally got to see England v Sweden at Wembley on a DVD I got off t'internet. Finally? When it was initially shown on the box it was on too late for me to stay up, something like that can seriously mess a kid up. Query: What was Ole Olsen doing in the pits all suited and booted? I know riders often pop in various meets to watch, help their mates, catch up on goss (!), but Olsen was in his Wolves leathers wearing his red neckscarf like he was ready to ride: a possible international guest? Curious....

Was Olsen riding in the second half? :unsure:

Dunno, would there be a 2nd half?...

Wasn't there a Victor Ludorum trophy?Might be wrong,but thought there was something like that.Long time ago though

Query: What was Ole Olsen doing in the pits all suited and booted? I know riders often pop in various meets to watch, help their mates, catch up on goss (!), but Olsen was in his Wolves leathers wearing his red neckscarf like he was ready to ride: a possible international guest? Curious....

That's because following the Final there was a second match, "Great Britain" (sic) vs, the Rest of the World.

What fantastic vfm this meeting was..! :approve: No wonder for so many of us it's the early '70s that's the golden age of Speedway..!!

That's because following the Final there was a second match, "Great Britain" (sic) vs, the Rest of the World.

What fantastic vfm this meeting was..! :approve: No wonder for so many of us it's the early '70s that's the golden age of Speedway..!!

Cheers for that, makes sense a rider like Olsen wouldn't be there just for a 2nd half. For a long time I thought any speedway competiion was called a tournament. It's true about the so-called Golden Age of Speedway, Wembley was used for loads of diff meets: European Final, test matches, Inter-Continental Final as well as World Finals and there was nearly always a huge crowd. By huge I mean 10's of 1,000's....

....and if I remember correctly, Olsen scored a full maximum. Great nights at Wembley in the 70s.

I know that quite a lot of the old Speedway Videos that had been available on YouTube seem to have disappeared recently so I have started to re-upload some of these ... I have started with the 1973 International Tournament Final which I have uploaded in five parts, so the whole TV recording is there not just the odd race.

All five parts can be viewed on the following page of my blogsite ...

Wembley 1973

Edited by speedwayondisc