British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paul84

Chris Harris And Scott Nicholls

He needs someone to tell him a few home truths, rather than sycophantically reassure him of his greatness.

That is because Neil paid to go to the GP's to be with the riders, I guess Jim doesn't feel the same passion for Britain!

As for Scott, I personally don't think that having Kelvin next to him in the pits is the right move for him, can't really see Mr Tatum as a motivator! Scott needs someone who can get him to focus more, now I really don't know who that would be, I would love to say Mark Loram, but he has enough to deal with in getting himself fit for now but there must be someone that can help Scott out, I have such faith in that lad to do well, he has the skill to beat the best, he has the aggression, he just needs someone to get him to pull all that together on the track!

Gary havelock was with nicholls in 06 or 07 in the GP's and actually did help nicholls out a fair bit ... more than tatum has... :unsure:

Gary havelock was with nicholls in 06 or 07 in the GP's and actually did help nicholls out a fair bit ... more than tatum has... :unsure:

Well, he fronted up for interviews to tell the world that they were chasing the right set-up, while all Tatum MBE seems to do is carry his crash helmet.

Harris is having a poor year I think. There was going to come a time when things caught up with him. He is still fantastic to watch mind. Nicholls is just a steady team rider, in the EL he doesnt beat the top stars if you look but gets a decent average from beating the rest...In Poland, GP and Sweden theres 3 top riders in each race...and he struggles...I would have both in my team tomorrow. They ride best in our league!

Edited by superguest

In Sweden theres 3 top riders in each race...and he struggles...I would have both in my team tomorrow. They ride best in our league!

Well, unless you're against MasarnaAvesta. Mind you, Nicholls isn't currently riding in Sweden, is he?

I was staying at Vastervik at the weekend.

Bjarne Pedersen was staying at our hotel. Someone spotted his mechanics in the bar at the hotel the night before the Grand Prix, and they asked his mechanics where Bjarne was. "He's been tucked up in bed for the last hour", came the reply. It seems Bjarne went to bed around 8.00pm.

On the other hand, Chris Harris was spotted at a bar in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Is it any wonder we can't compete with the Danes?

All the best

Rob

In Chris's defence I understand he cant sleep before a GP. Did your friend say whether he was drinking or not. I suspect the answer was NOT.

So does he lay in bed and toss and turn orgo out - tire himself out and when he hits the pillow he then will fall asleep.

Everyone does differenlty and I have been quick to jump when we have seen riders out late at night -but now I am more tolerant!!

That is because Neil paid to go to the GP's to be with the riders, I guess Jim doesn't feel the same passion for Britain!

That is slightly unfair.

I suspect Jim is just as passionate for Britain but doesnt have the same personal income as Neil.

As you say Neil had to pay for himself (along with Poole Tourist Board - who whoever it was called) maybe Jim doesnt have a sponsor to help either.

Well, he fronted up for interviews to tell the world that they were chasing the right set-up, while all Tatum MBE seems to do is carry his crash helmet.

How do you know what role / influence / impact Kelvin Tatum has on Scott Nicholls? No offense intended but to me when i read such a flippant remark it just makes you sound a bit ridiculous, and difficult to take anything you may write with any degree of seriousness. Granted his results the last two GP's haven't shown any marked improvement (which is from what i can tell is when Kelvin has certainly been with him in the pits, though admittedly i don't know how long he may have been helping him before) but to me your comment reads as disrespectful both to Scott Nicholls who obviously is trying to improve his set up and performance and to Kelvin Tatum, who as a former Individual World Champion (albeit longtrack), British League and International Top Liner OBVIOUSLY knows a thing or two about what it takes for a successful set-up.

Even if Nicholls GP results don't significantly improve while receiving help from Tatum, (and i do acknowledge that Speedway is a results business) i would still imagine even then it would be very difficult for any outsider to the Nicholls Camp to quantify what influence Kelvin Tatum may or may not have played in that, or indeed what other aspects of Nicholls set-up he may have helped with. Somethings take time or who knows maybe he would be struggling even moreso without help, or perhaps he has just reached his GP level. I hope not, since as an outsider looking on there doesn't appear to be too many stand out reasons why he shoudn't more consistently win races. By this i mean when i watch him ride the bike there doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with his style / skill or determination, and also when i see him being interviewed i interpret what i see as a person who is trying to reinforce self belief in himself in the face of difficult results and who appears motivated, and indeed somewhat frustrated by his current run of form.

On top of this i also see someone who is obviously not scared and indeed willing to ask for others help and advice in order to improve his results - by previously recruiting Havelock and now Tatum. For me then, those ingredients seem on the surface to all be right - style / skill / determination, motivation and a willingness to receive help. Of course what i don't know about is why he consistently doesn't get out the gate and often seems relatively down on power! - And of course i guess this is where your Havelock's and Tatum come in. Good Luck to them i say.

I was staying at Vastervik at the weekend.

Bjarne Pedersen was staying at our hotel. Someone spotted his mechanics in the bar at the hotel the night before the Grand Prix, and they asked his mechanics where Bjarne was. "He's been tucked up in bed for the last hour", came the reply. It seems Bjarne went to bed around 8.00pm.

On the other hand, Chris Harris was spotted at a bar in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Is it any wonder we can't compete with the Danes?

All the best

Rob

No prizes for guessing which one pulled and which one didn't then is there :lol:

Didn't do him much good did it? He might aswell of went out on the p$ss :wink:

:lol:

Middleditch used to go to the GP's to be with our riders . Haven't seen hide nor hair of Lynch this season though .

If you notice Middlo still goes :wink:

So does he lay in bed and toss

:blink:

I suspect Jim is just as passionate for Britain but doesnt have the same personal income as Neil.

As you say Neil had to pay for himself (along with Poole Tourist Board - who whoever it was called) maybe Jim doesnt have a sponsor to help either.

Sandie ..... Middlo paid for himself like he is doing now. Poole Tourist Board sponsored him but I wouldn't of thought it would cover the price of air fares or hotels for the GPs as well as the SWC meetings.

Sandie ..... Middlo paid for himself like he is doing now. Poole Tourist Board sponsored him but I wouldn't of thought it would cover the price of air fares or hotels for the GPs as well as the SWC meetings.

I know that and appreciate that. But for it to be said that Jim Lynch doesnt have as much passion based on him not being at the GP's is. I believe, I little insulting.

If the BSPA paid for the flights and the hotel accomodation and he still didnt attend then Yes, fair enough, but until then I dont think it is a fair comment to say he doesnt have as much passion.

Just my opinion of course.

Well, unless you're against MasarnaAvesta. Mind you, Nicholls isn't currently riding in Sweden, is he?

Might be now, Mr.Hammarby has put his hand in his pocket.....

I don't know what the score is between Scott and Chris, pure guess work is that maybe Scott got a little bit miffed about Bomber's British Grand Prix win, apart from that win Bomber's Grand Prix record has been very average, but there was alot made about his Grand Prix win, and I think that might have gotten to him.

If there are differences between them both unlike the Danes, the two don't seem to be able to put their differences aside in the World Team Cup, which is sad.

As for Bomber been out while the early hours, nobody has actually said whether he was drinking, but I know the Grand Prix at Cardiff 2007, I was told that there was a Danish rider out very late, so I don't really put much into that.

As for Jim Lynch I think that I seem to remember reading that Neil Middleditch paid his own way for the Grand Prix, which is again a shame if it is true.

I think now is the time to forget about about British success in Grand Prix, maybe keep Bomber in there, as this is only his second year, but that is always assuming that he can get an invitation, but I question whether or not he feels in his own mind whether or not he can compete at this level or not, I am not totally convinced that he does. For me Scott has had his time, he is going backwards and not getting any better in fact he is getting worse, maybe it is that he now has a family and his priorities have changed, having a family can do that to some people.

For me the time is right for us to start looking at the younger riders from this country, and getting them prepared and ready for the Grand Prix series, riders that spring to mind are Tai Woffenden, Adam Roynon, Joe Haines and Lewis Bridger, there are others that I think that might push their way forward, but these riders need to be the nucleus of our future, this is what the Danes did they stuck with a group of young riders, nurtured them, and now and when you look they now have four riders in the Grand Prix series, and who is to say next year they won't have five riders.

People seem to be forgotting Bomber's podium finish at Wroclaw last season.....so he can't be a one-show pony.

Well a wee word with the sports psychologists that look after the British cyclists might be the order of the day .

Maybe a spell at Ivan Mauger's training camp listening to the old maestro about how to ride a speedway bike and get out of the gate could be a good use of their time!! Mauger wasn't a natural, but he learnt how to do it.

For me the time is right for us to start looking at the younger riders from this country, and getting them prepared and ready for the Grand Prix series, riders that spring to mind are Tai Woffenden, Adam Roynon, Joe Haines and Lewis Bridger

You'd never see him out on the piss the night before a GP would you?!!! :rolleyes:

Maybe a spell at Ivan Mauger's training camp listening to the old maestro about how to ride a speedway bike and get out of the gate could be a good use of their time!! Mauger wasn't a natural, but he learnt how to do it.

Mauger had drive, determination and will power, something completely lacking in the global superstar and Harris. Nothing was handed to Mauger on a plate. They've had it too easy.