British Speedway Forum

I hope the Melbourne venue is confirmed. It will be good to have a Grand Prix meeting in the country which is universally acknowledged as the foundation land of the speedway racing.

I like the idea of having a GP in Melbourne but for me there are two problem. First, it pretty stupid to put it as the last GP. It has happend more than once that it is already clear who is goin to be World Champion before the last GP, for example 2005 when T. Rick. won. Who is actually interested to pay plenty of money and take atleast a week off to watch a GP when the drama is more or less over. The second problem is the date, its more than a month after the second last GP and the end of for example the Swedish season. Many people have already spent their speedwaybudget and are, after been watching speedway for six months pretty feed up with speedway.

Personally, I would prefer to put the GP in Australia in march or beginning of april. That means that everybody start from zero, plenty of europeans are willing to go to Australia after a bloody cold winter and ,atleast for me, I have been longing for months for watching speedway...

but I guess BSI has a good reason to put the GP the 14th of November.

Not half - I would definitely make strenuous efforts to go there :)

Nice to see the land of Oz back on the calendar, after all they did give us the very first back to back Speedway World Champion, none other than the legendary Mr. Jack Young (probably the greatest rider of all time). Surely his feat of winning the world championship as a second division rider with those Merry Monarchs will never be repeated. Ah those were the glory days!! :wink:

probably about 2 weeks after Cardiff. SWC this year started at July 12th.

So, GBGP end of June, SWC in Poland two weeks later eh? :unsure:

In that case I feel it only fair to warn you................nah, stuff it, it'll be my little surprise!! :rolleyes:

Besides, after what's happened lately I wouldn't want property values to drop. B)

Date doesn't clash with any other major sporting event in Oz that weekend.

Edited by BigFatDave

I like the idea of having a GP in Melbourne but for me there are two problem. First, it pretty stupid to put it as the last GP. It has happend more than once that it is already clear who is goin to be World Champion before the last GP, for example 2005 when T. Rick. won. Who is actually interested to pay plenty of money and take atleast a week off to watch a GP when the drama is more or less over. The second problem is the date, its more than a month after the second last GP and the end of for example the Swedish season. Many people have already spent their speedwaybudget and are, after been watching speedway for six months pretty feed up with speedway.

Personally, I would prefer to put the GP in Australia in march or beginning of april. That means that everybody start from zero, plenty of europeans are willing to go to Australia after a bloody cold winter and ,atleast for me, I have been longing for months for watching speedway...

I agree. After 10 GP rounds it gets increasingly unlikely they'll be anything left to play for when it gets to GP 11. They'd do well to put it in late February. It could be like the Daytona 500 of the SGP - a big event that actually occurs very early in the season.

Having said that, I suppose the local audience will view it as a self-contained event: The Australian Grand Prix. Featuring the best riders in the World. As a footnote, it also happens to be the final round of the Speedway Grand Prix.

the deal for melbourne is not done and dusted yet,a hiccup has occured that threatens the event,expect an official announcement soon.

Good to see a GP in oz, where the sport started. Why not have it as the first GP instead of the last. Could have it towards the end of the season in oz, and the riders not already in the country, could go early and race in a few meetings before hand, to get their eye in.

Edited by srbramble

the deal for melbourne is not done and dusted yet,a hiccup has occured that threatens the event,expect an official announcement soon.

I wonder what that could be. :wink:

I agree. After 10 GP rounds it gets increasingly unlikely they'll be anything left to play for when it gets to GP 11. They'd do well to put it in late February. It could be like the Daytona 500 of the SGP - a big event that actually occurs very early in the season.

The list posted earlier gives 12 GP dates! :o

I would think that you will not see a German Grand Prix next year. Then they could make the Oz GP more interesting by putting the £200,000 race there next year

thats 11 to many ,lets get back to the proper world championship and get the sport we love back from the bernie clone olsen

The list posted earlier gives 12 GP dates! :o

Around the same time as the OZ GP in 09, there is a possibility of New Zealand GP just before and one in Malaysia just after I beleive! Need to be genuine tracks!

Around the same time as the OZ GP in 09, there is a possibility of New Zealand GP just before and one in Malaysia just after I beleive! Need to be genuine tracks!

i have no idea about NZ stadiums but they did build a new stadium in Malaysia.

i have no idea about NZ stadiums but they did build a new stadium in Malaysia.

But hasn't all the speedway in Malaysia gone down the swanney?No meetings this year after the government pulled out of funding the sport? :unsure:

But hasn't all the speedway in Malaysia gone down the swanney?No meetings this year after the government pulled out of funding the sport? :unsure:

i have no idea i just remember that they built a new speedway stadium in Malayisa.

The correct version is:

25 April - Lonigo

9 May - Leszno

30 May - Göteborg

13 June - Kopenhaga

27 June - Cardiff

1 August - Praga

15 August - Malilla

29 August - Daugavpils

12 September - Krsko

26 September - Bydgoszcz

10 October - Gelsenkirchen

14 November - Melbourne

Where did this list come from? I need to book up my annual leave for next year asap and this will be very useful if it is correct