British Speedway Forum

Ok, so let me get this right. If hypothetically Newport didn't run the meeting, you'd rather the speedway world (for whom you say the NYC was put on anyway) didn't get to see a winter meeting in 2009, than it be run elsewhere on a one year deal.

Yes, I see your logic there :blink:

Apparently, there is one licence a month available to run a meeting in the close season - one allocated for the Brighton Bonanza in December. one to Newport for the NYC in January and the other to Telford in February.

It's been common knowledge for a while that there is no Brighton this year, so if Poole were so keen to keep alive a meeting for the good of speedway and speedway fans why didn't they ask for the December licence? If they wanted to take advantage of the holiday period they could have held it on the last weekend of the year, the weekend before the NYC. Even if the NYC was held the following week neither meeting would have affected the other as the venues, fan base and even travelling fans are so far apart that the meetings wouldn't have impacted on each other.

That way the South Coast would have gained an outdoor Winter meeting and the possibility of the NYC taking place at Newport would have been maintained.

So it does appear that Poole want to ride on the back of work put in by others for there own benefit. Tim did it for the fans, this venture seems to be for another reason.

When the Wasps ride again, we will no doubt have a fitting memorial for Tim and a meeting in his name - until then I and I'm sure others would not want his name or the title 'New Year Classic' associated with Poole's shallow money making venture.

Edited by judgejules

Considering everyone knows the take over dealings (and more importantly the BSPA) with Newport would it not have been appropriate for the bspa to have held off their decision until maybe the end of this month before they had awarded the NYC to Poole or any other club it had been offered to.

And maybe by the end of this month if newport were not able to offer an official promotion able to take it on then they could have reverted to Plan B ?

I just feel that the gun has been jumped.

Newport are desperate to have Speedway back in 2009 and the prospects are looking very very good, and i can imagine there are alot of people out there that would be supportive of us in wanting us to get it back but unfortunately sometimes in the world of reality you have to wait for the powers that be to take their time and finalise affairs and these cannot be rushed or pushed through the back door

Bspa should be doing everything in their power to assist the smooth return of speedway to newport for the good of all ,but unfortunately it does'nt work like that. If you are not a member of the old boys club at the bspa .

If it was another team but Poole everyone would say it was a great idea and good to keep a long running event going!

No other team would stoop so low as to pick a dead mans pocket.

No other team would stoop so low as to pick a dead mans pocket.

one encouraging thing about all this is the amount of newport supporters posting on this forum .if this is an indication of the interest in that area for newport speedway then the future looks bright once newport is up and running again

Where the hell have you been - everyone knows who the new promoter is albeit not yet completed but yet this is just a formality and why should it be assumed that Newport could not run the NYC - its not like its happening in a fortnight and the proceedings need to be speeded up and another promotion needed to step in - and if Poole hadn't stepped in then NO other club would have wanted to take it on - WELL SO WHAT - it would have taken a year out -

Of course newport fans are upset but they are not the only ones - The New Year Classic was a meeting that was put on for the whole of the Speedway world not just the newport fans.

but it still boils down to the fact that your illustrious leader had the respect for his own gain that prompted him and ONLY HIM (as all the other clubs had more respect ) to jump on the case and BAG the event.

Carry on putting him on a pedestal but you will be amazed how many out there that really wouldn't spit at the base of his pedestal - but he will knaw away at his own backbone and eventually his ar$e will make contact with his tonsils and his ears will explode with the sheer impact

:blink:

star,the last paragraph has just seen me spit my beer all over the screen :blink:

Absolutely brilliant :lol::lol:

For the umteenth time, Poole were the only club to submit a request to hold the meeting. that's why they won it.

Why not contact the Reading promotion and ask them why they let your club down by not applying to run it at Newport?

Change the record Shovlar :mad:

Or are you awaiting instruction from Ford on what to say next :rolleyes:

You are pathetic in your blind support of Poole speedway, open your eyes for god sake!!

Professional sport is competitive, people hate winners hence the hatred of Poole. Why not just be happy that there is the opportunity of seeing Speedway well before the season starts?

Surely other teams promoters could sort other meetings across the country?

Surely better a meting at Poole than no meeting at all?

Plus if you don't like it don't go, enough people will so Matt Ford won't be bothered. The meeting is primarily aimed at Poole fans, and most are happy so Matt Ford is happy. Fans of other clubs should ask why their promotion aren't so ambitious and seem willing to settle for the norm.

Utter rubbish. I have great respect for Poole's achievements on-track but the promotion have made two serious errors in my book regarding this and the "winner takes all" fiasco and deserve all the criticism they get for both, and that would be my point if they were first or last in the table. The only thing that annoys me about teams becoming successful is how a significant number of their supporters lose all sight of reality in the process and sput childish, gloating rubbish. It's not just a Poole speciality, sadly, just your turn this year. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ultimately the New Year Classic is a very minor open meeting only noticed because it runs out of season. It was a piece of Newport enterprise but I don't think too many would have noticed if it hadn't run next year. The potential re-opening of Newport is the priority not some otherwise meaningless open meeting, and I'm sure it will come in time. It would have been fitting and reward for the Wasps fans' patience for it to be in January, but but then you are a Poole supporter and somehow that gives you special status since your team has had a very good season and to hell with everyone else. Well done. I'm sure you played a vital role.

Rob McCaffery.

So let`s put all this in perspective.

If Newport run next season,they have already lost the New Year Classic.

Add to that,the Friday night before Cardiff,they will not be allowed to run against the PL Pairs at Somerset.

Add to that,the Welsh Open meeting if held on the Sunday following the GP meeting,will be affected by more than a few clubs running league or various meetings to capitalise on the GP being held in Cardiff.

Now,how are people going to believe that the BSPA are working for the good of the sport when three potentially money spinning fixtures are robbed from one club.

Plus if you don't like it don't go, enough people will so Matt Ford won't be bothered. The meeting is primarily aimed at Poole fans, and most are happy so Matt Ford is happy. Fans of other clubs should ask why their promotion aren't so ambitious and seem willing to settle for the norm.

Thanks Saint Charlie, but would the previous stagings of the Classic have been primarily aimed at Newport fans? I think not.

To put it simply, Poole (and the BSPA) may have made a considerable PR blunder here, To announce that Poole have 'won the race' to stage the New Year Classic is insensitive as basically all the old boys club have really done is allowed Poole to run a meeting in January. To try and run it under the New Year Classic banner then makes it then look like a smash and grab raid. I would be very surprised if most supporters don't feel that Newport is the home of the Classic. Emotions were always going to be running high in this thread upon this announcement, the rumour mill was working overtime once Matt Ford stated that he had a significant announcement to make and the Newport supporters biggest fear came true.

If its just that Poole have got the January license, then so be it, but dont try and make it the New Year Classic.

Utter rubbish. I have great respect for Poole's achievements on-track but the promotion have made two serious errors in my book regarding this and the "winner takes all" fiasco and deserve all the criticism they get for both, and that would be my point if they were first or last in the table. The only thing that annoys me about teams becoming successful is how a significant number of their supporters lose all sight of reality in the process and sput childish, gloating rubbish. It's not just a Poole speciality, sadly, just your turn this year. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Ultimately the New Year Classic is a very minor open meeting only noticed because it runs out of season. It was a piece of Newport enterprise but I don't think too many would have noticed if it hadn't run next year. The potential re-opening of Newport is the priority not some otherwise meaningless open meeting, and I'm sure it will come in time. It would have been fitting and reward for the Wasps fans' patience for it to be in January, but but then you are a Poole supporter and somehow that gives you special status since your team has had a very good season and to hell with everyone else. Well done. I'm sure you played a vital role.

Rob McCaffery.

And to quote you, that is 'utter rubbish' also. All I see here at Poole fans defending the decision by the BSPA for Poole to run against the comments that Newport had a sole right to the January meeting, whether or not it ran. No-one is gloating as far as I can make out. Right of reply I call it, to some pretty damning comments aimed at the club, and now it appears the supporters. The licence allocated to Matt is for one year, that is all; I am sure that if Newport return, then the chances are the meeting will return there in 2010, if the application is made. I can understand the upset eminating from Newport that some other party had made noises about wanting to run, but if the BSPA had a deadline for submission for any meetings, then they missed that if comments about the 30th Sept deadline for applications are correct (and knowing how the BSPA work with shared events and their allocation, I can well believe it). It's only 11 weeks or so away, how long before a yes decision could be made? November? December? Why did no-one make a declaration of intent (to the BSPA not the Speedway Star before anyone jumps in) before that deadline for a stay of execution on the decision? Any potential promoter of the event would have had to have BSPA membership, so would have been made aware of the deadline for winter events, surely? It's easy to blast Poole, but no-one, not even Shovvy, knows the full trail of events other than those involved or otherwise in the decision. I'm sure that in the coming weeks, more will become clear, either with silence from those supposed to have had things in hand, or strong accusations of underhand tactics, and perhaps some further comment from the BSPA to clarify things.

I can only agree with another poster who asked why didn't we apply for the December meeting. Would've been less bloody controversial that's for sure!

Edited by rabbit

WHAT A LOAD OF $Hite

who was available - this is nothing to do with the promotion - get a grip - you are blatently slating the Reading promotion

:mad:

Thank you for your eloquent reply. The point of my initial post was to emphasise that when the BSPA made their decision (and if you believe Steve Shovlar's information that Matt Ford was the only applicant for the licence), they (the BSPA) awarded it to who they felt was the best (and only) candidate able to promote the event. That's what my point about the current Reading promotion was aimed at, although I am disappointed with how the final meeting at Smallmead has been promoted. Go on the Reading forum and you'll find I'm not alone in these opinions.

Unfortunately and understandably emotions are running high and in an ideal world this event would and should be held at Newport. What is often forgotten is that speedway is a business, not just a sport. I can empathise with many that feel that the situation is an exploitation of an opportunity to make money - but that's what promoters run speedway for. It could be argued that Terry Russell and Matt Ford did exactly the same at Exeter a couple of years ago with the passing of Colin Hill?

The event is only at Poole for one year and I sincerely hope that we can all soon look forward to speedway returning to Newport soon once the legal processes relating to Tim Stone's estate have taken their course.

So it does appear that Poole want to ride on the back of work put in by others for there own benefit. Tim did it for the fans, this venture seems to be for another reason.

When the Wasps ride again, we will no doubt have a fitting memorial for Tim and a meeting in his name - until then I and I'm sure others would not want his name or the title 'New Year Classic' associated with Poole's shallow money making venture.

Of course Newport didn't do it for the money. :blink: Silly statement. This meeting helped balance the books and the reason other clubs didn't apply for the event every year. Newport had no god given right to hold this meeting every january. The reason they did was the goodwill of other promotions.

Thanks Saint Charlie, but would the previous stagings of the Classic have been primarily aimed at Newport fans? I think not.

And I am sure fans from all over the country, as well as Poole fans, will come along to this winter meeting at wimborne road, providing the weather is OK.

To put it simply, Poole (and the BSPA) may have made a considerable PR blunder here, To announce that Poole have 'won the race' to stage the New Year Classic is insensitive as basically all the old boys club have really done is allowed Poole to run a meeting in January. To try and run it under the New Year Classic banner then makes it then look like a smash and grab raid. I would be very surprised if most supporters don't feel that Newport is the home of the Classic. Emotions were always going to be running high in this thread upon this announcement, the rumour mill was working overtime once Matt Ford stated that he had a significant announcement to make and the Newport supporters biggest fear came true.

If its just that Poole have got the January license, then so be it, but dont try and make it the New Year Classic.

I don't think it's going to be called the New Year Classic. I think its going to be called the Champion and Champions.

I perhaps could understand Newport fans being upset if it was business as usual and Poole had come along and nicked it from under them. But this is clearly not the case. Newport at this current time don't have a club, and no one knows exactly when they will be back on track. It could be 2009, it might not. Probate can drag on for months on end. They currently don't even have a promoter, just someone who wants to be promoter. He hasn't even been ratified by the BSPA and has no promoting rights.

He obviously asked the Reading promotion to run the meeting, for for a reason only known to them they declined to do it as the BSPA only got one application, and that was from Poole.

Matt ford said clearly on his press release yesterday that it is only a one year deal ( so keeping the winter meeting alive) and that in 2010 it could return to Newport.

I can only think of all this hatred is aimed at Poole because we are the big successful club. If it had gone elsewhere, say Lakeside or Wolverhampton, or Somerset or Stoke, there would be very little moaning. But considering only Poole applied, other clubs clearly didn't want to bother with it.

Sorry to say but all this moaning is making Newport fans look like a very sad and bitter bunch.

Sorry to say but all this moaning is making Newport fans look like a very sad and bitter bunch.

I would say we have reason to be.

Some of the defence of their promotion make Poole fans seem a bit one eyed to say the least.

Lets just all hope for bad weather come the staging .

Because its only Newport fans who seem to think Poole are in the wrong over this? Reading the this thread and the one in the EL it seems not.

Take off the Pirate coloured blinkers and stop posting rubbish, Steve.