British Speedway Forum

it was mentioned in this weeks speedway star that the "new promotion " for newport have asked malc holloway / mark legg ( reading ) to go ahead and apply to the bspa for a licence to run this meeting next january.

when i went to swindon on sunday i saw and spoke to malc holloway and he told me that the story was true BUT it was only then did he find out that an application had already been put in BEFORE tim stone passed away in april.

this application was from an ELITE league promoter (they ride down south !!).

when tim stone started this event 10 years ago he was taking a massive gamble on it being a success luckly it was and its stature as the only outdoor speedway event during the close season has grown to the event that those able to come make it being as much a part of the winter months as brighton and telford.

for someone else to apply BEFORE tims death is in my opinion greed and i hope that the bspa do the right thing in memory of tim and again it will be run at its rightful home of NEWPORT.

I heard that the application went in only three days after Tim's death which would be even worse. Whichever is right for the reasons stated by hawk I also hope they see sense and let the meeting stay at it's rightful home. Another good reason for Newport to hold the meeting is that it is one of, if not the only, tracks capable of coping with the weather at that time of year more often than not.

This event should stay at its proper home NEWPORT in memory of a goodman and promoter it should not be allowed to be pirated away down south

Who ever that promoter is, quite frankly should be ashamed. The NYC was Tim's brianchild and must stayat Newport. This ' Promoter ' should be named and shamed .

I know speedway promoters tend to lack any morals or decency and will screw over anyone they can but robbing a dead man? :angry::rolleyes:

Who ever that promoter is, quite frankly should be ashamed. The NYC was Tim's brianchild and must stayat Newport. This ' Promoter ' should be named and shamed .

Keep the New Yer Classic at Newport Thats where it Belongs End Of

Well considering Newport are no longer running it would be a bit stupid keeping it there, don't you think?

Well considering Newport are no longer running it would be a bit stupid keeping it there, don't you think?

Elite team down south... Hmmmmm wonder why you would possibly make a remark like that!

If that is the case then we would have to assume the rumour about the application going in 3 days after Tim's death was the correct one. It is either that or it was applied for while Newport was still running - either way it would stink!!!

Who says Newport won't run this season? For a promoter to jump in and take an event that was traditional to a track is dispicable. Tim Stone put a lot of time and effort into ensuring he put together a competitive field - not a field of stars - but a field that would run in all weathers and not complain, it only seems fare that this meeting should be left as a memorial to him.

Tim Stone put that meeting on for the good of all fans around the country, the location was good and people from the Midlands and even as far north as Belle Vue used to make the journey down to see the meeting. It was never a meeting just for the supporters of Newport Speedway it was a meeting for everyone. If the meeting moves from it's traditional home further down South all I can see is that the promotion is intending to run it for their own benefit and not for every fan in the country.

The track preparation for this meeting is immense. It's not a job that can be done in the normal amount of time and access to the track and stadium is needed everyday for a couple of weeks to prepare the track, has this been considered?

Sometimes this Speedway lark makes me sick to the teeth. Newport is an excellent place to run speedway but it seems that if there is an obsticle to overcome then officialdom is trying to make it very difficult to sort out. Newport had a license this season, we are not a track that has not entered the league this season. We are almost certainly running in the league next season too, so why all of a sudden are pushed out?

Theres only promoter would stoop so low. That stinks, why steal another clubs meeting ?

Edited by father jack

Some people seem to have no concept of right or wrong. And think stealing a dead mans idea is acceptable.

Absolutely Not - Newport were only taken out of the Premier League due to the circumstances but thats not to say that any individual meetings could not continue.

Just Why did Matt Ford apply to hold the "New Year Classic" at Poole, if he had done it prior to Tim's death that would have been laughable as why would any promoter in their right mind apply to hold a "duplicate" meeting so it can only be assumed that the rumours are true and it was "requested" just after Tim's death - talk about a grave digger for financial gain.

STINK - yes I think it does

Edited by star

Wouldn't it be better to hold fire and see what this announcement from Poole is first? Seem to be a lot of people jumping off the deep end here and making accusations and assumptions, that as yet are neither confirmed or denied as far as I can see.

Edited by rabbit