British Speedway Forum

It's a press release about Poole Speedway, are you saying there was no input by your ethereal promotion?

Of course not. Chances are they realised their mistake and the press release for speedwayworld.tv was tweeked.

But thanks for the spelling lesson. I've heard that next weeks lesson is how to look beyond the end of their own nose and realise there is a world outside of Poole, will you or the Poole promotion be attending?

Of course Poole didn't write those few lines on the BSPA site. That all comes from The BSPA press officer.

Poole press release can be found on their site and the speedwayworld.tv site, which were both released at 11 am yesterday. No alterations there.

Mind you any excuse to have a pop at Poole, eh? If it had been Stoke or Scunthorpe we wouldn't have heard a peep.

With the loss of the Brighton Bonanza this winter and if Newport stadium is available for use, isn't there room for another winter meeting? Indoor/Outdoor, it's still a speedway meeting!

Not knowing the sequence of events I'm not going to make any comment on the rights or wrongs of Poole running a meeting early in the new year. There have been enough posts made split between 3 threads already, some reasonable, some not so reasonable and some downright hysterical and I'm not going to join the throngs.

If Poole want to, have been allowed to and are able to run the meeting then good luck to them.

My feelings stem from a point of encouragement with the article in the Star to one of disappointment at the "loss" of the meeting, even if it is for only one year, as I genuinely thought that the continuation of the New Year Classic, albeit under a different promotion, would be a fantastic starting point for the new, new era of Newport Wasps.

Good luck to Poole, I won't be one of those hoping for a downpour, I hope it is a success.

Just disappointed we miss out on another part of Newport Speedway tradition and the opportunity to keep ouselves firmly on the map.

Here's to a better 2009.

Not knowing the sequence of events I'm not going to make any comment on the rights or wrongs of Poole running a meeting early in the new year. There have been enough posts made split between 3 threads already, some reasonable, some not so reasonable and some downright hysterical and I'm not going to join the throngs.

If Poole want to, have been allowed to and are able to run the meeting then good luck to them.

My feelings stem from a point of encouragement with the article in the Star to one of disappointment at the "loss" of the meeting, even if it is for only one year, as I genuinely thought that the continuation of the New Year Classic, albeit under a different promotion, would be a fantastic starting point for the new, new era of Newport Wasps.

Good luck to Poole, I won't be one of those hoping for a downpour, I hope it is a success.

Just disappointed we miss out on another part of Newport Speedway tradition and the opportunity to keep ouselves firmly on the map.

Here's to a better 2009.

Good god a voice of reason from an unlikely source. :blink::lol:

I don't think there's a single speedway fan in the whole country that doesn't want to see Newport back in the fold and prospering under its new promotion. They used to get big crowds and it is possible to get them back with a decent team in place.

However the NYC came too early and they haven't even declared their intent to run in 2009 yet. Meetings take time to advertise, riders need to be contacted, the buzz needs to be built up and Newport currently don't have a promoter, so couldn't run ever if they wanted to.

As the Poole promotion have said, it's only at Wimborne Road for one season, and could be well heading back across the Severn Bridge for 2010.

So rather the abuse and bad feeling being generated by a few Newport fans, perhaps they should chill out, arrange a coach between themselves and come and watch The Champions Of Champions on January 4th.

Hmmm... still bitching I see, good one Newport fans. :rolleyes:

Poole have only taken the January spot for a winter meeting, for just 1 year! I very much doubt it is gonna be called the NYC, as that meeting only has links with Newport, likes Poole's Blue Riband did for many years though im annoyed that Matt Ford cant be bothered to run our prestigious indi meeting.

And as Ford has a thing about not bothering with 'slot filler' meetings, this could be the only time we hold a meeting in the winter.

Of course Poole didn't write those few lines on the BSPA site. That all comes from The BSPA press officer.

And where did he get his information from, including the parts you were happy to quote?

If any other club including Stoke and Scunthorpe had behaved the same way then I would be saying the same things about them. Given that this is now a proven money spinner of an event and you say Poole are the only applicants then I wonder why there were not a multitude of others applying. There are certainly tracks that cope better with the weather and both the clubs you happen to mention are used to operating tracks in the winter months for training schools. They could probably both do with the income and yet they didn't apply, perhaps they, and the others, felt it would be a less than proper way to behave!

Well considering Newport are no longer running it would be a bit stupid keeping it there, don't you think?

Not at all, a decent crowd for a meeting at Newport could be just what it needs for prospective buyers of the club to take the plunge, the event won't be the same at Poole either and i hope once Newport is back up and running the meeting will revert to it's true home.

Steve I have just read your latest post and you are now just making it up as you go along. Whether a Promoter was installed in time for this meeting or not there was nothing to stop another promotional team running the event at Newport on his behalf. They most certainly would have drawn a huge crowd for this event but have been denied the opportunity. If you are so keen to see Newport Speedway prosper then surely you would understand that the income from this meeting could be the difference between their being able to run or not.

The truth is you have absolutely no interest in Newport Speedway and couldn't care less whether they disappear or not because you think the whole Speedway world should revolve around Poole. That's OK but eventually even the best supported teams go out of business without somebody to compete against.

If you want to organise a coach for people from Newport go ahead, I am sure you could fill at least half of the front row of seats.

As for Mr Norwood we will really see some bitching if Poole's future is ever threatened but like Mr Shovlar if it ain't Poole you don't care.

Well, I'm a Newport fan (of 43 years standing actually) and no bitching from me!

Its nice to know there are some sane Newport fans out there PCIG :)

Well, I'm a Newport fan (of 43 years standing actually) and no bitching from me!

I think your the exception. :wink: Hopefully some of the others will calm down eventually. Not holding my breath on it though!!

As for Mr Norwood we will really see some bitching if Poole's future is ever threatened but like Mr Shovlar if it ain't Poole you don't care.

You dont know me that well then Vince, I fully well care about the future of other speedway clubs as well as the sport itself, but your making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Poole have merely taken the January slot that is currently vacant as Newport aren't running atm, if however they get a back up and running during the winter months, then the slot will be theres to have again in 2010. The New Year Classic will always be Newport's, and Poole I believe wont be using that name for the meeting on January 4th.

I have no axe to grind with Poole Speedway. I've holidayed many a time in the region and been to Wimborne plenty of times and I too would like to have a successful speedway club that gets big crowds, has great nights like last Monday and wins trophies and I suspect many others would too.

There is undoubtedly genuine upset amongst many Newport fans but I do not have the facts of the situation and that's why I choose not to bitch about it.

When, or if, there is any official statement released by the BSPA, Poole Speedway and Mr Youngs and the Reading promotion about the correct chronology of the matter and it shows there has been shenanagins, then perhaps I'll have a different view.

Until then, good luck Poole and I hope the meeting is a success.

Poole press release can be found on their site and the speedwayworld.tv site, which were both released at 11 am yesterday. No alterations there.

Mind you any excuse to have a pop at Poole, eh? If it had been Stoke or Scunthorpe we wouldn't have heard a peep.

As I've said in this thread, my feelings would be the same regardless whos name was in that press release.

Again, like I've said previously, it comes accross as a bit desperate everytime you bring the "Mind you any excuse to have a pop at Poole, eh?" card out. I've had nothing to do with Poole apart from watching a few meetings down there, so I have no reason whatsoever to dislike them, I've actually admired the club from afar at their ability to build quality teams. I don't like their actions in this situation, pure and simple.

The fact that you selectively quoted the press release from the BSPA website speaks volumes for your character, and your way of moulding information available to further your own arguement.