British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beesbarmyarmy

Wild Cards For 09

BSI/IMG must be happy Emil is such a talent & some Russian money is heading their way..

I feel the Brits have backed IMG into a corner this year. I just dont see how they can justify 2 wildcards........... comparing gp totals to previous seasons Bomber should not be getting a pick and rightly so as he never got on top of his machinery and just didnt look good enough .................... we all pretty much knew that if Nicholls got 9th he would get a WC ... but we also knew if Holta finished 9th he wouldnt

There is just no other Brit who could justify inclusion... it is too early for Ed and too early for Tai................ so for me Scotty is the only cast iron guaranteed WC so far for next season

the others in the hunt:

Sajfutdinov ................ such an exciting rider and you just know that the fireworks are going to happen in his races................... for me this all depends on money and commitments

Holder............. again this will depend on money... can Noddy raise the funds, machinery and team necessary to compete for a top 10 place?....... he has a golden opportunity now to stake a claim to a long GP career and would possibly be a bit silly to turn it down

Hampel............. absolute world class rider and would be unlucky not to be considered again...... could lose out on the strength that IMG are probably desperate to get the new young guns in......... will lose out due to the Poles already having 4 guys qualified

Lindgren........ didnt like his full on antics in the 2nd half of the season but ironically it was when he started putting himself in the frame .......... the bonus for him is that there is only one other Swede

NKI................ started looking good before his injury issues and can count himself unlucky............... for me he is in competition with Lindgren for a spot and the 3 already qualified Danes are not helping his cause

The crying shame here for me is that we have 5 guys to go into 3 spots while Walasek and Ulamek are in already............ yes qualifying is a good thing but the balance is obviously not right after the qualifiers from the last few seasons

so after all that I think Hampel and NKI will lose out due to the representation from their countries already and the 4 will be

Nicholls

Holder

Sajfutdinov

Lindgren

the only spanners in the works will be if Noddy or Emil decide they cant or dont want to be in it

allot of people in here moans about Scott not bothering with the qualifications, but they consider Emil and Holder for WC.

Shouldn't Emil and Holder qualify on their own just like Ulamek, Walasek and Bjerre?

IMO both Holder and especially Emil are a bit too young to be in the GPs just yet. Holder should wait to 2010 and emil possible to '10 or '11.

Just look at Lindgren and Kasper this year and Antonio and Hans Andersen a couple of years ago. All of them were good in the leagues but struggled in the GPs.

So for next season i would choose Jonas D instad of either Holder and Emil

If i could decdide in the future i would scrap all this WC nominations and just have a qualifying series replacing the qualification final.

allot of people in here moans about Scott not bothering with the qualifications, but they consider Emil and Holder for WC.

Shouldn't Emil and Holder qualify on their own just like Ulamek, Walasek and Bjerre?

IMO both Holder and especially Emil are a bit too young to be in the GPs just yet. Holder should wait to 2010 and emil possible to '10 or '11.

Just look at Lindgren and Kasper this year and Antonio and Hans Andersen a couple of years ago. All of them were good in the leagues but struggled in the GPs.

If i could decdide in the future i would scrap all this WC nominations and just have a qualifying series replacing the qualification final.

Good post Ghostie until you got to the Jonas D bit.Then it went right off the boil :wink::lol:

It looks like next years GP's will be far stronger than this year with no Dribble, Bjarne, Kasperjak, PUK or maybe Lindgren.

Replace 3 of those with Sajfutdinov, Holder, Hampel and it looks a really tough riding GP field. It could be a superb season with some hard and exciting riding.

Lindgren only had one decent result with 22pts but the rest of his results was awful. Very similar to Bomber last season.

I think Scotty should get a Wild casrd as he's next man down in 9th. He also looked far more on the pace after mid season, some of his riding was superb to watch. Totally fearless stuff.

Bomber should be out I'm afraid. He's had one good GP in two seasons and isn't doing enough. He is a racer but most tracks are too slick for him, so that is a shame.

This says all one needs to know about the GP 'system'. :rolleyes:

A rider wins the World Under 21s TWICE in a row (an outstanding achievement - and harder won than Pedersen's stroll to the senior title, surely.. :blink: ) and it's said he should wait another THREE years before being 'allowed' in the GPs.. :angry:

If I was said young man I'd say, you can stuff your world championship...: sounds like - and is - merely a old boys' club to me!!! :angry:

Great post, Ghostwalker. That's the way I see things - poor Jonas was going through the "proper" route of qualifying etc, yet it seems likely he'll get overlooked for others who didn't seem to show an interest!

(an outstanding achievement - and harder won than Pedersen's stroll to the senior title, surely.. :blink: )

Ridiculous comment.

A rider wins the World Under 21s TWICE in a row (an outstanding achievement - and harder won than Pedersen's stroll to the senior title, surely.. :blink: ) and it's said he should wait another THREE years before being 'allowed' in the GPs.. :angry:

If I was said young man I'd say, you can stuff your world championship...: sounds like - and is - merely a old boys' club to me!!! :angry:

Think you will find that Ghostwalker's comments about Emil waiting until 2010 or 2011 are very much a minority view. A cursory glance through posts concerning 2009's line up shows an almost universal agreement for Emil's inclusion.

But don't let that stop you from having another tiresome dig at the GP system.

One could point out (yet again) that both Sajfutdinov and Holder tried and failed to qualify as of right for 2009, one could also point out the utter folly of you suggesting winning the Under 21 Championship is a greater achievement than Pedersen's World Championship victory, but what would be the point. You still dream of a return to the old system - but I suspect that is all it will remain.

Ridiculous comment.

Why is it? :blink:

The Under 21 champion doesn't have the luxury of knowing consistent thirds and fourths in a season long series of meetings will get him the title.

Among his peers, he has to beat the best and get thru' QRs, very tough semis and then a proper 20 heat Final.

The trouble with those in favour of the GPs is you've blinded yourself to some basic facts.

Okay, it may (arguably..) be a fair way to assess the world's best to have several rounds and the top aggregate points scorer claims the crown; but nothing can replace the sheer excitement of the one-off Final. To get through such a challenge is the mettle of a true champion.. It takes a lot to know that EVERY race matters totally in pursuit of that ultimate goal...

Emil (no, I can't spell his surname... :oops: ) has proven twice he can win at that level and this is a huge achievement.

It is demeaning then for people to suggest that somehow he's not "ready" for the GPs. To do that really does devalue the championship you obviously rate so highly.

I also suspect, in part, it's because he is Russian..: can't believe anyone would be saying this of a Holder or a Tai if they'd won the World U21s two years running... :shock:

To be fair, Sajfutdinov had to negotiate a qualifier (which he won) against a field consisting mainly of Croats (not Pavlic), Hungarians and Slovakians. He then finished 4th in his Semi, where the non-qualifiers were Vaculik, Brzozowski, Kajoch, Baumann, Ksiezak, Klindt, Stichauer and Bogdanovs.

With respect to them, that is hardly a "very tough" semi.

As I posted earlier the vast majority of people expect and agree that Emil should be in the GP's for 2009. If anything the fact he is Russian makes him even more attractive to BSI/IMG as they will see that as a means of promoting the series in a new country. I hope if he gets a spot for 2009 he can be competitive at the top level - I will certainly be rooting for him.

Why is it? :blink:

The Under 21 champion doesn't have the luxury of knowing consistent thirds and fourths in a season long series of meetings will get him the title.

Among his peers, he has to beat the best and get thru' QRs, very tough semis and then a proper 20 heat Final.

The trouble with those in favour of the GPs is you've blinded yourself to some basic facts.

Okay, it may (arguably..) be a fair way to assess the world's best to have several rounds and the top aggregate points scorer claims the crown; but nothing can replace the sheer excitement of the one-off Final. To get through such a challenge is the mettle of a true champion.. It takes a lot to know that EVERY race matters totally in pursuit of that ultimate goal...

Emil (no, I can't spell his surname...:oops: ) has proven twice he can win at that level and this is a huge achievement.

It is demeaning then for people to suggest that somehow he's not "ready" for the GPs. To do that really does devalue the championship you obviously rate so highly.

I also suspect, in part, it's because he is Russian..: can't believe anyone would be saying this of a Holder or a Tai if they'd won the World U21s two years running... :shock:

I said that is was ridiculous to suggest it was a 'stroll' for Nikki to win back to back world titles via the GP system.

At no point did I say Emil was not ready for next years GP's - in fact I very much hope he is in them.

I liked the one off world finals, I like the GP system, for me they both have different qualities. I really couldnt say that winning a world title one way or the other produces a more 'definate' world champion. Again, I just think you suggesting the GP win was a stroll is rubbish thats all.

Erm...if you were a young man, you'd say stuff your World Championship because of what one person on an internet forum says?! Perhaps it were somebody in authority who had the clout to make the big decisions, then maybe. But I think it's safe to assume the young riders concerned will not be adopting the same attitude you are.

Erm...if you were a young man, you'd say stuff your World Championship because of what one person on an internet forum says?! Perhaps it were somebody in authority who had the clout to make the big decisions, then maybe. But I think it's safe to assume the young riders concerned will not be adopting the same attitude you are.

And with respect, do YOU know what actually young riders feel about a system which exludes them from competing in the GPs.. :unsure:

Eddie Kennett made his opinion pretty clear the other year when deciding against the long qualifying process, knowing that after all the effort, a paltry THREE places were up for grabs.

Does anyone truly believe he'd have done that if, say, eight places in a penultimate round saw him through..: into either a WF or indeed a season's long competition.

Becasuse when push comes to shove, we may well now be lumbered weith the latter but it DOESN'T have to be a such a closed-shop..!!