British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beesbarmyarmy

Wild Cards For 09

Apologies.. I did, of course, mean the 'run-off' or whatever that 'last chance' meeting's called... :rolleyes:

Many predicted he would struggle to make any kind of impression in that but, as you say, he scored a creditable nine points..!

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!!

Watching Greg Hancock become the first pensioner still riding in the World Championship in 2028 doesn't really appeal to me!!! :wink:

Greg would still beat Tai by at least half a lap! :wink::lol:

Think you will find Tai didn't ride in the World Cup Final, GB failing to qualify from the run-off where he scored a creditable 9 points from 6 rides ( though I think you will find he didn't beat any current GP riders).

Not strictly true. He beat Rune Holta in heat 22 of that match.

He also beat Jarek Hampel earlier in the evening, and I would argue that Jarek is a far superior rider than some of the qualified riders for next year, but that is slightly irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly NOT advocating that Tai is ready for the SGP series.

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!! :blink:

Watching Greg Hancock become the first pensioner still riding in the World Championship in 2028 doesn't really appeal to me!!! :wink:

As someone who does regularly travel to GPs, I can honestly say that I would love to see some exciting new blood in the competition, but more importantly I want to see the very best racing in it. If the exciting young riders are better than the current crop, then yes they should be included.

However, I'm not convinced that there are many ready for that. Emil and Chris were the obvious candidates. It appears that Emil is in and Chris isn't. I'm excited that Emil will be racing and disappointed that Chris wont.

You pick on Greg but what are you saying, that he should be pushed out because he is getting old?

Ignoring the GP series, Greg finished 3rd in the averages in both Poland and Sweden. He is clearly still at the absolute top of the game and fully deserves his place in the series regardless of his age.

Anyway, back in the "brilliant" one off world final days, did Ivan Mauger not win the World Title when he was older than Greg currently is?

Not strictly true. He beat Rune Holta in heat 22 of that match.

He also beat Jarek Hampel earlier in the evening, and I would argue that Jarek is a far superior rider than some of the qualified riders for next year, but that is slightly irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly NOT advocating that Tai is ready for the SGP series.

As someone who does regularly travel to GPs, I can honestly say that I would love to see some exciting new blood in the competition, but more importantly I want to see the very best racing in it. If the exciting young riders are better than the current crop, then yes they should be included.

However, I'm not convinced that there are many ready for that. Emil and Chris were the obvious candidates. It appears that Emil is in and Chris isn't. I'm excited that Emil will be racing and disappointed that Chris wont.

You pick on Greg but what are you saying, that he should be pushed out because he is getting old?

Ignoring the GP series, Greg finished 3rd in the averages in both Poland and Sweden. He is clearly still at the absolute top of the game and fully deserves his place in the series regardless of his age.

Anyway, back in the "brilliant" one off world final days, did Ivan Mauger not win the World Title when he was older than Greg currently is?

Is that not the point though Henry. In the 'brilliant' one off final days, on the night anything could happen and there was an element of anticipation with who would actually win it taking into account unexpected defeats, falls and engine failures. With the current format (and I am not anti GP by any means) it tends to be more less the same 4/6 riders that are going into the final race time after time come what may, which has created a sort of ‘sameness’ about the GP’s irrespective who actually takes part. I enjoy them very much, but with the 'semi's and finals' it kind of rules out throwing up some surprising, and more importantly 'different' or unexpected results. Unless, those 6 riders retire or move on.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Yes - just. Mauger won his final World title aged 39; the same age as Greg would have to be now if he is to win it again (ie cant now be any sooner than next year).

Does anyone, though, seriously believe Greg will win it again..? :rolleyes:

Personally I'd be delighted if he could - he deserves without question to be a more-than-once world champion; but the sense of inevitability about the GPs suggests he'll remain top four without a sniff at first place..

Which says it all really... :blink:

With the current format (and I am not anti GP by any means) it tends to be more less the same 4/6 riders that are going into the final race time after time come what may...

And that shows us that they indeed are the best at the moment.

For me it should be. .

Scott Nicholls

Fredrik Lindgren

Chris Holder

Chris Harris. .

Although hope Chris Holder is given another year (the same with Emil Saifutdinov and Jurica Pavlic). . so either Niels K. Iversen or Matej Zagar. .

Although Iversen along with Jarek Hampel, Krzysztof Kasprzak, Bjarne Pedersen probably wont stand a chance becuase of their nationalities. .

Edited by Wildcat

Apologies.. I did, of course, mean the 'run-off' or whatever that 'last chance' meeting's called... :rolleyes:

Many predicted he would struggle to make any kind of impression in that but, as you say, he scored a creditable nine points..! :approve:

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!! :blink:

There have been 14 seasons of GPs with 7 different champions.

In the period 1950 to 1963 there were 6 different champions

In the period 1960 to 1973 there were 7 different champions

In the period 1970 to 1983 there were 8 different champions

Hancock has been contesting every season, 14 of them, you would like to see a change?

Mauger raced in every final from 1966?(1965) to 1979, 14 or more, did you want a change then

Briggs managed more, Fundin at least the same. Were you bored of their prescence.

The World Championship, in whatever format should be contested by the best 16, whoever they are. The GP system, by and large, ensures that

The sport has always gone in cycles, today is no different

There have been 14 seasons of GPs with 7 different champions.

In the period 1950 to 1963 there were 6 different champions

In the period 1960 to 1973 there were 7 different champions

In the period 1970 to 1983 there were 8 different champions

Hancock has been contesting every season, 14 of them, you would like to see a change?

Mauger raced in every final from 1966?(1965) to 1979, 14 or more, did you want a change then

Briggs managed more, Fundin at least the same. Were you bored of their prescence.

The World Championship, in whatever format should be contested by the best 16, whoever they are. The GP system, by and large, ensures that

The sport has always gone in cycles, today is no different

Thanks for this Jeff.

Fuuny enuff I was thinking of doing a similar comparison!! :shock:

What is does show - contrary to some who've posted on here, though TBF, not yourself... - is that the idea that that one-off World Final produced maverick results and a string of random, undeserved World Champs simply wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

Indeed between 1950 and 1994 (effectively the 'modern' era of the WF), there were 22 champs (out of a potential 45) and more significantly, those 22 finished in other rostrum (ie 2nd. or 3rd.) positions a remarkable 44 times; with another six unlucky riders finishing on the rostrum more than once withiout claiming top spot.

So as the figures show for both the indiv. WF AND the GPs our sport has been blessed with world championships where only the elite have really been able to excel.

And sure, Greg is vey much among them... :approve:

I do think though that a bit of a bigger turn-over of riders if one is to be 'stuck' with a fixed 16 each year would spice things up..!! :neutral:

Thought the following may be of interest to Jeff & Parsloes, the recent 'Newsletter' page of Ove Fundin's web site:

"Recently I read an interview with my old friend Gunter Sorber, (Gunter was for many years FIM's top speedway official and one of the men behind the G P's) now he would like to see some changes to the way speedways world championship is beeing decided and I agree with most what he said. To begin with, every rider should have at least a chance to take part, not just because someone is good for the organizers ("we must have riders from the country were the G P is being held."..)

Why not go back to the old formula with qualifying rounds and then a final were the rider with the most points is the winner ?(not like today when the winner of the final heat is the winner, not the rider having scored most points) all the G P's could be qualifying rounds for the title race. Olympic medals are won in a "one off race" after qualifying for it. G P's own 200.000 dollars race is arranged that way!

What can one say about the fiasco with the German G P..... and the way it was rearranged in Bydgoszcz on a track that had had a G P only two months earlier.....I guess unlucky Greg Hancock is one of the riders that has a few hard words to say. But of course Tomasz Gollob was happy!! "

All of Newsletter Here

Edited by Jim Blanchard

And a pic of Ove enjoying the free ice at Vojens for the SWC Final

Ove Fundin

Ove Fundin's comments say it all..!! :approve:

Though he could perhaps have enjoyed that ice lolly rather more!!! :wink:

No Ove Fundin's comments are merely his opinion and it is no more valid than anyone elses opinion