British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

What Me Miss About 70s Speedway

I have about 40 or 50 in the cellar.All sorts.Even an Ivan Mauger/Newcastle one.

Plus maybe one or two of Tommy Jansson, I would think. :)

I still have some treasured momentoes Jim :approve: Just a pity the memories have faded somewhat :cry:

The white jobbies left by the greyhounds at the Blantyre dog track, something to do with calcium in their diet apparently :shock::P

The white jobbies left by the greyhounds at the Blantyre dog track, something to do with calcium in their diet apparently :shock::P

Someone told me you don't see white dog crap any more because dog owners no longer give bones for their pets to chew on, so the calcium theory could be correct.

Edited by Shadders

Remember rosettes??

All too well-Big Sister passed me down a Martin Ashby green faded thing -said it was an honour whilst Dad got her a spanking new Scott Autrey one-was well chuffed at the time as a hand me down on my British Leyland Jacket but think she was just humouring me being 5 years younger and trying to keep me quiet-Why the hell should I wear a Martin Ashbey rosette when I couldnt remember ever seeing him race apart from the odd Bank Holiday meeting just cos big sister told me to.

I dont hold grudges 35 odd years later but I wanted a Scott Autrey one and current like she had.

I wore the Martin Ashby one until about 1980 :oops:

Also used to have a Falcons triangular felt pennent mounted on the handlebars of my push bike whilst playing cards attached to the back forks of the bike with clothes pegs that used to clatter whilst you peddeled along.

Those were the days....... :oops:

Edited by Nevs

tight blue levis,

it really was that good then, beam me back scottie!

Hey, pandelboy, remember sitting in the Bathtub in yer first pair of Levis?

Scored a r :oops: t after an Aldermaston march on the strength of my faded skintight blue jeans - Sheila cracked me up - "Oooooh, are they Levvies?"

good fridays and easter mondays poole vs exeter truly great days the poole blue riband having an unknown eastern european team ride at poole and blow us away the knott family for being truly great promoters and men of their word and honour many modern promoters take note christer lofqvist john langfeild odd fossengen nigel boocock begnt jansson et al i could wax lyrical all day the 70.s were deffinentely halcyon days big big sigh !!!!1

Guest sjl
I have about 40 or 50 in the cellar.All sorts.Even an Ivan Mauger/Newcastle one.

Photographs or rosettes? Have any BEES ones? :blink:

Photographs or rosettes? Have any BEES ones? :blink:

Rosettes.I do seem to recall a black/yellow(goldish more like)one,at least(could be Wolves or Newport though).Quite a few for some reason are red/blue.Guess they must be West Ham ones.Haven't looked at them in donkeys years.I will have a look tomorrow

Edited by iris123

Rosettes.I do seem to recall a black/yellow(goldish more like)one,at least(could be Wolves or Newport though).Quite a few for some reason are red/blue.Guess they must be West Ham ones.Haven't looked at them in donkeys years.I will have a look tomorrow

I had a Jim McMillan one and a Charlie Monk one when i was a wean :approve: Although Charlie's photograph , whether on the front of the programme or on the rossette , would scare the weans . :lol:

I had a Jim McMillan one and a Charlie Monk one when i was a wean :approve: Although Charlie's photograph , whether on the front of the programme or on the rossette , would scare the weans . :lol:

I know what you mean about Charlie :rolleyes:

Old Hurri-Ken was also a bit scary.I mean not only him,but there seemed to be a few back then that looked like they were 60 years old or something :blink: I wonder if the youngsters today think thesame about Buzz Burrows or Greg Hancock :unsure:

Old Hurri-Ken was also a bit scary.I mean not only him,but there seemed to be a few back then that looked like they were 60 years old or something :blink: I wonder if the youngsters today think thesame about Buzz Burrows or Greg Hancock :unsure:

naah.. Greg is a pup. nothing compares to seein Jack Millen sitting on his tool box just lookin for somebodys a** to kick, for fun. Usually the older tough ones used to send glares around the pits whilst smokin a fag, just lookin to see if anybody was lookin at them. that was all it took. howz about an angry Bruce Cribb, (absolutely a jewell of a man when not angered) or havin Arthur Browning coming after ya? enough to make ya wet yer pants for sure.

hey, :wink: welcome back JB!

I know what you mean Doug. When I was a young sprogg going down to NX, I use to think that about Cyril Roger and Cyril Brine; what are these 'silly old duffers about'. Most likely - bless 'em - they were actually half the age I am now, and were still very fine riders.

One of my prize posessions is a Peter Craven, Belle Vue rosette, which I would not part with.

(Well, many thanks for that Sandman... :) )

How I wish I had saved along with my old programmes!!
How I wish I hadn't! I've now got over 30 years worth of Bees programmes (home and away) plus other major meetings. They're all nicely boxed and happily sitting in my loft. What the devil do I do with them when I move house???