British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

What Me Miss About 70s Speedway

I am :lol::P

Do you want a big spoon :rolleyes::D

Yes,at WFC.

Slaphead should know if Viv is still alive.Although i haven't seen him post for a while.Maybe Blazeaway can ask.or i will ask my Mum :) He is/was my mums uncle

sadly jim passed away sometime ago

I believe FB was referering to the fact someone actually grabbed a hose pipe during a world final and watered the track with it, he obviously hadnt heard the story before. I dont think for a minute he was disputing the fact PC would have won if that hadnt happened.

Yeah, sorry Chunky, i'd never heard that story before, i'm not knocking PC :wink:

I only started speedway in the mid 80's, but here goes:

London speedway. Travelling to Wimbledon and Hackney on a Wednesday and Friday evening to see the Rockets get slaughtered.

Three team tournaments.

Close meetings at Rye House.

The Grand Slam

Meetings against then arch enemies Arena Essex.

Away meetings at Milton Keynes, Long Eaton, sadly no longer with us. Both within easy reach of home.

Ronnie Russell's excuses after another home defeat.

Edited by Shadders

I believe FB was referering to the fact someone actually grabbed a hose pipe during a world final and watered the track with it, he obviously hadnt heard the story before.

That's why I had the angry face, 'cos of that damn idiot grabbing the hose!

Steve

sadly jim passed away sometime ago

Yep, from a blood clot after a routine hip replacement. Jim was a good friend.

Steve

The long seats, typically used by riders from the old Eastern bloc countries.

The "technical" term for those was banana seats. Memories, eh?...

Asking riders for their goggles

Alan Cowland's white leathers

Nigel Boocock's blue leathers

Just joined the forum, havent been to a speedway meeting for YEARS because I havent lived near a track for so long but I remember those blue leathers and that wonderful smell of Bees petrol.mmmmmmmmmmm

Guest sjl
Just joined the forum, havent been to a speedway meeting for YEARS because I havent lived near a track for so long but I remember those blue leathers and that wonderful smell of Bees petrol.mmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm know just what you mean!!! Bees petrol to me just meant Col Cottrell (rip) alongside Nigel Boocock (musn't forget the infamous Les Owen -- did his bike spend more time over the fence?) :wink:

P.S welcome to the forum choccy

Edited by sjl

....and that wonderful smell of Bees petrol.mmmmmmmmmmm
If you wanted a close up sniff of that unbeatable smell, I could arrange it.

Keep posting choccy and watch out for hustlers on Wordscraper

Guest sjl
If you wanted a close up sniff of that unbeatable smell, I could arrange it.

Keep posting choccy and watch out for hustlers on Wordscraper

Be afraid :lol:

Before the days of teletext and t'internet i had to go into the kitchen at 11 p.m. and tune into Radio Luxembourg to get the night's speedway results , which they gave after the news .

And keep your fingers crossed that the 'fade' didn't come at the wrong moment. :wink:

Has anyone mentioned Wembley yet? Sticking speedway pictures on the car ready for the journey down south, scarves hanging out of the windows. The papping of the car horn every time another Wembley bound car passed us. It was always "passed" in our case because the top speed in our Beetle was 60mph. :wink:

Happy memories, but I still wouldn't want to go back to the one off final at Wembley.

Only for the big meeting though :blink:

Think old Ted Hubbard lost a Second Division Riders Championship because of the rain.Seem to remember Cyril Maidment always out their taking the bags of sawdust out of the tractor and putting them on the bends

He wasn't old back then :wink: he made the rostrum on each of his 3 visits yet never won it :cry: still will always be the best rider in my eyes :approve: (but then I am bias :lol: )