British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Best Season Ever

Well we've talked about best tracks etc-what about best season. This occurred to me reading the Ross Gilbertson thread and Ian's comments. In my case best season ever was 1965-when the NL and PL merged-many of us PL fans had never seen NL'ers race and I can recall being really excited about seeing their top liners-also strangely their riding colours because in the days of black and white Speedway Stars-while you knew intellectually that BV were red, white and black-you didn't know how they looked precisely in real life. While of course the NL top guys were good , the PL guys were no slouches either-however I will never forget Oxford's first ever visit to Newport-Ron How effortlessly scored a 15 pt. max and was the best rider I had seen to date-unbelievable. Any forumlanders have thoughts to share on the best ever season.

1965 for me too. The year the great and glorious Hammers pulled off the treble. :D

1965 was a bad year for me as the greatest track, and team, The Firs, Norwich Stars, was torn down to make way for some shoe-box houses, but at least Maurice Littlechild & Cyril Crane eventually got Saddleboe Road on the map

I'll go along with 1965 as being right up there alongside the best. And that was a great West Ham team, Norbold.

Two other seasons stand out in my memory though. 2003 and 2008 - the two years Monarchs won the league. Of the two, 2008 was the more satisfactory, because we won damn nearly everything else there was to win too.

For me 1980 was one of the best seasons. Not only did my team Rye House win the National League after a few years of being there or thereabouts (and with practically the same side each season) but we had a British 1-2 in the World Championship. For me things started to go down hill in speedway after the end of 1980.

Well we've talked about best tracks etc-what about best season. This occurred to me reading the Ross Gilbertson thread and Ian's comments. In my case best season ever was 1965-when the NL and PL merged-many of us PL fans had never seen NL'ers race and I can recall being really excited about seeing their top liners-also strangely their riding colours because in the days of black and white Speedway Stars-while you knew intellectually that BV were red, white and black-you didn't know how they looked precisely in real life. While of course the NL top guys were good , the PL guys were no slouches either-however I will never forget Oxford's first ever visit to Newport-Ron How effortlessly scored a 15 pt. max and was the best rider I had seen to date-unbelievable. Any forumlanders have thoughts to share on the best ever season.

Ipswich 1975. Six years of hard work paid off for John Berry when the Witches home grown team, yes I include Billy Sanders as a son of Suffolk, won every home League match using the same eight riders, and took out the League title and the Anglia shield.

John Louis was third in the World final, British champion, Pride of the East, Champion of Champions and Golden helmet holder. Billy Sanders was in the Inter Continental final and Tony Davey reached the British final.

Witches fans have never stood prouder, the pundits said Ipswich was a lost cause in 1969, JB, the late Joe Thurley and Ron Bagely took on the establishment and 1975 was their year of glory.

I support Ipswich by the way!!

Tony

To Norbold-re West Ham's treble-and they deserved it too!!!!-does anyone recall the K.O. Cup replay at Wimbledon when the Hammers having tied at home came back and won-Malc. Simmonds night I think.Do you also recall tho' how ex NL riders who seemed to be over the hill went to PL tracks and did great e.g. Jack Biggs at Newport. Re West Ham -their first visit to Newport was on the 25th June I sat my first A level that morning and I can recall thinking well at least I can go to speedway tonight-for the record Wasps won 42-36(sorry Norbold)

Any Brum fan old enough will more than likely say 1974, the Div 2/ KOC double year and rightly so.

Herne, Browning, Major, Hart, Day, Askew, Anderson. What a team.

Closely followed by 1975, first NNL champs.

Browning, Major, Hart, White, Day, Askew, Anderson, Grahame.

As they say, happy days.

Most responses so far relate to success and winning trophies....for me it has to be 1976 purely for a season of great racing at Hackney (not much hope of a trophy there!) and that long, hot glorious summer when we could travel the length and breadth of the country without fear of too many rain-offs. The year of the drought.

Zenon Plech and Dave Morton were both at their thrilling best.

Peter Collins and Simmo dominated the year at the top level, culminating in a long train journey to Katowice for many of us on the Warnersports Express,, but wasn't it all worthwhile! PC passing just about everybody from the back in '76, in the days when real racers still found enough grip to show their skill.

Michael Lee, the new rising young English star, and Joe Owen and his Diamonds sparkling wherever they went in the National League. For me, the NL meant Sunday afternoons at Rye House, where we saw the most professionally turned out team in the league with their indentical Infradex leathers.

While 1993 and 1994 were indeed two special seasons in the history of Glasgow speedway , back to back league and KO Cup doubles , my favourite season was 1991 . Watching a young Jason Lyons and Shane Bowes emerge as riders was very enjoyable and that season culminated in taking probably the best team ever to ride at 2nd division level , the 1991 Arena Essex Hammers , to a replay in the KO Cup Final . That season paved the way for what was to follow a couple of seasons later .

Arguably 1976 or 77. PC was on fire, the Aces team were just brilliant to watch - fantastic entertainment every time a winner, particularly at Hyde Road. I really enjoyed my speedway in those days.

While 1993 and 1994 were indeed two special seasons in the history of Glasgow speedway , back to back league and KO Cup doubles , my favourite season was 1991 . Watching a young Jason Lyons and Shane Bowes emerge as riders was very enjoyable and that season culminated in taking probably the best team ever to ride at 2nd division level , the 1991 Arena Essex Hammers , to a replay in the KO Cup Final . That season paved the way for what was to follow a couple of seasons later .

Agree with all you are saying mate, but I would plump for 1988. After the shambles of Craighead Park, then the debacle at Derwent Park. That first night at the plush surroundings of Shawfield in front of almost 8000 was a sight to behold and all of a sudden, from being a cinderella club we became the envy of teams up and down the country, riding in front of huge crowds every week, the return of the prodigal son Kenny Mac, Super Stevie Lawsons well deserved testimonial, the young Bowesie, Stevie winning the Scottish Open, first win on English soil in god knows how long, taking a massive support to Coventry to see Kenny McKinna claim a place on the NLRC rostrum everything just went right all season until the acrimonious end of course :rolleyes::P

Speaking of Bowes, I also remember reading this wee tale in 1988, about when Dick Barrie had just signed him and was showing him around Shawfield, when young Bowesie remarked that his father had a friend who may have ridden in Scotland at some point, "really?" said Barrie "would I know him?"....."I dont suppose so".....said Shane...."his name is Charlie Monk" :D

Edited by mervjankefanclub

78 & 79 - Bees took the title & defended it. Olsen was Champ in 78 & a very young Tommy Knudsen appeared on the scene & what a rider, him at #7 beating Ivan Mauger.

Bees v Hull for the title in 79 was awesome..............well at least through the eyes of a 12 year old lad :lol:

It was all so simple then, I suppose as I new less about the politics etc then & just enjoyed the racing/smell/atmosphere/exotic names, (Alf Busk). Fantastic days :approve:

1976 watching Newcastle. I was going to a lot of meetings that year,and it was great going away and knowing you were likely going to win.

Unbeaten at home, 13 away wins and 1 draw from 17, a superb team led by the fabulous Owen brothers.

Joe 11.78 and Tom 10.31.

Most responses so far relate to success and winning trophies....for me it has to be 1976 purely for a season of great racing at Hackney (not much hope of a trophy there!) and that long, hot glorious summer when we could travel the length and breadth of the country without fear of too many rain-offs. The year of the drought.

Zenon Plech and Dave Morton were both at their thrilling best.

Peter Collins and Simmo dominated the year at the top level, culminating in a long train journey to Katowice for many of us on the Warnersports Express,, but wasn't it all worthwhile! PC passing just about everybody from the back in '76, in the days when real racers still found enough grip to show their skill.

Michael Lee, the new rising young English star, and Joe Owen and his Diamonds sparkling wherever they went in the National League. For me, the NL meant Sunday afternoons at Rye House, where we saw the most professionally turned out team in the league with their indentical Infradex leathers.

Have to agree with you TMC, your comments on the balmy evenings of the long hot summer of "76 brought back fond memories for me.

This was the era when Citroen Safaris became the mode of transport and Afro hairstyles were fashionable among riders and speedway folk. Do you remember Peter Thorogood, John Louis , Kevin Bowen, the late Vic Harding and Peter Wigely all among the trendsetters!!Silencers, catapult tyres and Sportac leathers were other talking points

Not forgetting the Speedway Mail, Eddie Toogood and who was the other Speedway Star seller at Hackney and Rye, a rather large character?

Regards Tony