British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

One Off World Finals

I miss the excitement of the old one off World Finals even though I accept that the best rider did not always become World Champ.Would be interested in how many of these WF's other forumlanders attended and which they thought was the best. For my part I attended 5 (65,75,78,81,82). I thought they were all great but I guess the last ever Wembley one was the best-aktho I was glad to see Knutsson win his only title in 65.

I went in 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981, 1983...

Start getting a bit confused with the years then. Best take a look at Wiki.

1985 in Bradford. I went to that one.

The 1987 one in Amsterdam. Seen more people at Blunsdon on a cold, windy evening.

1988. Vojens.

The last one I went to was 1990, when Per Jonsson won it.

I think the Wembley ones had a special atmosphere. It was a real treat seeing Peter Collins win in Katowice. And Per's win was a good one too. Also always enjoy the way people get so narked about Egon's win in 1983, so, in its own way, I like that one too.

(Edited to remove 1982. Not sure why I put that because I wasn't there. Was at Reading Festival. Watched it on Betamax when I got home)

Edited by Grachan

Right Grachan, but I reckon Egon is one of the "unfair" ones-I'd add Szczakiel to that list too-and surely Tommy Price, Fred Williams(twice) only won because of home track advantage.I wish I'd been to as many as you tho.

I think to win a World Final twice you have to have more than just home track advantage going your way, so respect to Freddie I say.

For me it was:

1983 - and I am one of the thos that gets narked about it! :wink:

1985 - decent bit of drama, Gundersen's Heat 20 win was one of THE greatest

1987 - had all the atmosphere of the Shropshire youth grass-track championships

1990 - cracking night's racing

1992 - so-so racing made very enjoyable by Havelock's surprise win

I know. :)

For me it was:

1985 - decent bit of drama, Gundersen's Heat 20 win was one of THE greatest

1987 - had all the atmosphere of the Shropshire youth grass-track championships

1990 - cracking night's racing

1992 - so-so racing made very enjoyable by Havelock's surprise win

I get equally narked by those who cite Havelock's win as a surprise. He may not have been the favourite, but given his form that season it was fully merited.

:)

Hopefully I can stop you being overly narked then. Nobody likes being lumbered with some narkiness. God knows I've been stuck with mine for 25 years now...

Havelock was making his debut, it was his first season operating at that level, he had very little experience of racing in Poland, so yeah, I'd say it was slightly surprising. However, that doesn't mean to say it wasn't 100% deserved. That particular year he was seriously in form and on the big day he produced it when it mattered. Fair play and bloody well done say I!

Edited by falcace

I went in 1975, 1976, 1978, 1981, 1983...

Start getting a bit confused with the years then. Best take a look at Wiki.

1985 in Bradford. I went to that one.

The 1987 one in Amsterdam. Seen more people at Blunsdon on a cold, windy evening.

1988. Vojens.

The last one I went to was 1990, when Per Jonsson won it.

I think the Wembley ones had a special atmosphere. It was a real treat seeing Peter Collins win in Katowice. And Per's win was a good one too. Also always enjoy the way people get so narked about Egon's win in 1983, so, in its own way, I like that one too.

(Edited to remove 1982. Not sure why I put that because I wasn't there. Was at Reading Festival. Watched it on Betamax when I got home)

1982 - LA or reading festival that must have been a tough decision!!!

1982 - LA or reading festival that must have been a tough decision!!!

Not really. Not for me in 1982 - and I got the house to myself for 2 weeks. Oh yes!!

Edited by Grachan

Re Grachan's note-and Wembley home track advantage- how about Jack Parker should have been Champ in 49, Graham Warren in 50, Split Waterman in 53-think that would be a better reflection of the best riders of the day.

Wembley 1981 - if only for two awesome races - Olsen vs Penhall and Knudsen vs Penhall

I went to a couple of world finals at Wembly in 69 and in 1981 after giving up on speedway in 1971 only returning to the fold in 2003. also went to Cardiff in 2006

Of the one off and the GP I prefer the one off final.

I wish I had known more about the 81 world final as it was a one off for me and I only recognised a couple of names at that time!

Edited by Custom House Kid

Only "one off" world final I went to was 1990 at Bradford. Gutted when Moran lost the run off lol.

What I remember though that although that season Per Jonsson was flying in the World Championship rounds his form for Reading was below it's usual. Seem to remember he only averaged about 7.50 and didn't make the BLRC.

ahh good memories..

1972 @ Wembley

1975 @ Wembley

1978 @ Wembley

1990 @ Bradford

still prefer the one off World Finals which i believe were scuppered by holding them at various unsuitable venues

world final at cardiff anyone! lol

what about having a grand prix & a world championship Obviously called something else? wolrd matchplay type thing