British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hackett

Setanta - Polish Speedway

People who have watched it :unsure:

Despite it still being four bikes going around and around, they have this strange tendency to change the order that they are in as they go around!

Quite, but being big tracks they can get pretty strung out too. :D

Riders get strung out on our tidlers too. Polish speedway is light years better than the elite league and as the tracks are larger they can put more dirt down. without it becoming dangerousl

It's a shame that Sky Sports has a stranglehold on ALL British Speedway being shown live in the UK.

Its a shame Sky are too tight fisted to put any real investment into speedway. They spend a fortune on cricket a complete waste of time sport that will put you to sleep in seconds and has even more confusing rules than speedway does. I would like to see more speedway meetings from the EL and PL being shown on Sky on a more regular basis and more money being put into both leagues by them.

Its a shame Sky are too tight fisted to put any real investment into speedway. They spend a fortune on cricket a complete waste of time sport that will put you to sleep in seconds and has even more confusing rules than speedway does. I would like to see more speedway meetings from the EL and PL being shown on Sky on a more regular basis and more money being put into both leagues by them.

More people watch Cricket than Speedway on sky, so of course they are going to put more money into cricket. I'm sure some cricket fans feel the same way about speedway as you do about cricket.

Sky is very football dominated, then they have cricket, golf and tennis, leaving speedway unfortunatly down the pecking order.

"I would like to see more speedway meetings from the EL and PL being shown on Sky on a more regular basis and more money being put into both leagues by them"

Speedway isn't a big enough sport to be shown 2/3 times per week on sky, even if you throw money at it

How is it not big enough? they could have the Monday night speedway as usual and show a PL meeting either Fri Sat or Sun they have 3 channels dont forget. And ofcourse more people watch cricket on sky, thats because it is on more often everytime you go onto Sky there is a cricket match. Its a terrible sport.

Plus in addition to racing why not have a speedway round up program. It could talk about speedway from CL, PL and EL and even take in some of the foreign leagues. It would be like a football style goals round up program with all the highlights and news.

I am all for Setanta showing Polish or Swedish speedway, would make great viewing no doubt about it !

How is it not big enough? they could have the Monday night speedway as usual and show a PL meeting either Fri Sat or Sun they have 3 channels dont forget. And ofcourse more people watch cricket on sky, thats because it is on more often everytime you go onto Sky there is a cricket match. Its a terrible sport.

Plus in addition to racing why not have a speedway round up program. It could talk about speedway from CL, PL and EL and even take in some of the foreign leagues. It would be like a football style goals round up program with all the highlights and news.

Lots of cost and very few viewers and therefore little advertising revenue

Its costs a fortune to broadcast live and if there is no return then it will not happen

Whatever you may think of cricket it pulls in the viewers and therefore the advertising revenue

Lots of cost and very few viewers and therefore little advertising revenue

Apart from the average 80,000 that watch everyweek, according to the official viewing figures.

Speedway regularly ranks in the top 5 of Sky Sports weekly broadcasts

Would be good for sure, but a cautionary note, once you have subscribed to Setanta, they are a bugger to cancel. I had a free month's viewing on a freeview box which you had to claim once you had cancelled your subscription, which I did, got my months free viewing then they started to take money again, so I have had to cancel the direct Debit and have a logn converation with a man from Setanta about whether i meant to cancel or to quote him, was it "an error of judgement"

anyway rant over, but beware :P

It's all to do with track preparation i would imagine . I've seen Leszno on the telly and there seems umpteen racing lines , likewise Bydgoszcz is universally accepted as the most entertaining GP normally . Then you see some EL tracks and they're as bald as a coot . :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's all to do with track preparation.

I have seen a good few matches from Poland where the track was uber-slick, but the racing was still good.

I think the biggest factor is the shape of the tracks. Most of the Polish tracks are big and wide, and are in stadiums where they are the primary tenant, so the tracks take up whatever space they need, rather than being squeezed into the inside of a dog track or into a small area outside of a football pitch.

Isn't Setanta free on cable?

Not sure I would say "free", but it's included with the XL TV package that Virgin Media provide.

Edited by HenryW

Speedway is still one of the top five most watched sports on Sky behind Football, Rugby Union,Super League and then sometimes cricket depending on the type of match. It has been proved that Sky viwers like fast action sport as the 20/20 cricket gets on average 20,000 more viwers than 2 day games

One thing that Sky doesnt like about speedway is it can decide to run on alternative days to suit their programme schedules and also they would like to upgrade the Elite league coverage to HD but they can not get the tracks to invest in the new lighting required for this as most dont own the stadium

I am all for Setanta taking on the Polish speedway but I think they may have cooled on this chance now with the change in the money world

Apart from the average 80,000 that watch everyweek, according to the official viewing figures.

Speedway regularly ranks in the top 5 of Sky Sports weekly broadcasts

But in the scheme of things its not a lot which is why the footy, superleague, rugby union etc get the sorts of programmes that I suspect speedway can only dream of

You might as well watch videos on Youtube, the quality is about the same as Setanta outputs.

The main problem with a round-up programme is that you need cameras at every meeting - it wouldn't be cost effective.