British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

Silver Sash Match Race

Mr Morris and I have a problem with our collective memories:

Where was the original Silver Sash held?

Gawd knows!! I can remember Len Silver had it in the early sixties: Ivor Brown had it for a while as did Eric Boocock and Jim Airey and Ivan had a mortgage on it for years!!

There's bound to be some Anorak on here who knows: I know, I'll stick it in the History section!!

HELP!! :blink:

Mr Morris and I have a problem with our collective memories:

Gawd knows!! I can remember Len Silver had it in the early sixties: Ivor Brown had it for a while as did Eric Boocock and Jim Airey and Ivan had a mortgage on it for years!!

There's bound to be some Anorak on here who knows: I know, I'll stick it in the History section!!

HELP!! :blink:

As far as I know, Dave, the Provincial League of the 1960s was the origin of the Silver Sash. The National League's equivalent was the Golden Helmet.

More to the point though, why is it not in use today? The formula was simple: when the holder of the Sash rode in a meeting the opposing team's top scorer on the night would race him for the Sash after the meeting. I can't have been expensive to stage and it added a bit of interest to the meeting. Golden Helmet match races, by comparison, were pre-arranged and, I think, best of three races.

Since the 1960s speedway has all but lost everything other than basic league competitions. Bring back the Silver Sash! Failing that, how about a return for the Scottish Match Race Championship?

In 1966 both the Golden Helmet and the Silver Sash were raced for over the season. The Golden Helmet was dropped in 1967 and the Silver Sash became the only Match Race championship in the British League. Not sure when the Golden Helemt returned, but when I started going in 1974 they had the Golden Helmet but not the Silver Sash.

I agree with Ian. The Silver Sash was a great innovation for the Provincial League. It was a crowd puller in its own right and always brought an extra "buzz" to meetings. Tony Lewis held it for a while at Poole and the Sash defences seemed just as important as the matches.

Can't remember why it was dropped in BL days but I think it lost its appeal when various "rules" were introduced which detracted from the plain and simple situation when in the PL. Might be wrong there (memory sometimes dodgy these days!) so am quite open to correction if I am wrong!!

:)

The Silver Sash and the like were first ridden for in 1928, but for this thread we should say it started in the provincial league 1960. It was held on the holders own track or away track at the next official fixture.?

The first race was at Rayleigh April the 29th Reg Reeves beating Johnny Hole of Bristol... there were 14 races that year.. the sash ending up with Trevor Redmond when he beat Harry Bastable at Cradley Heath in September.

other holders that year .. J.Hole, Reg fearman, Ross Gilbertson, Doug Templeton, Tony Robinson, Jack kitchen, and Harry Bastable

Regards .....Anorak :rolleyes:

Hi BFD-thanx for bringing this topic forward.I can confirm with the others that it was associated with the Prov League but it survived for at least the first two years of the BL-65 and 66 but perhaps longer.I have the British Speedway Handbooks for 1966 and 1967(covering the seasons 65 and 66).The last Silver Sash race for 65 was at Wolves on Oct 22nd when Colin Pratt defeated Tommy Sweetman..the last one in 66 when Briggo beat Peter Vandenberg also at Wolves. Perhaps someone will know whether the SS survived beyond 1966. Interestingly the 1967 hand book shows past winners starting in 1955 and going thru to 1960(with the exception of 1958).From the list of winners it looks like it was a SAL competition-first winner shown in 1955 is Eric Croft-other familiar names are Colin Gooddy,Jim Gleed, Jimmy Heard, Leo McAuliffe.Last holder in 1959 before PL was Dave Hankins. As Nigel posted the first winner in 1960 was Reg Reeves.

The last PL holder was Ivan. The first British League defence should have been at Wolves at the start of the 65 season when Newcastle were the visitors.Ivan Mauger had already been injured and couldn't ride so the title went to Pete Jarman by default as the top Wolves scorer that night. The way it worked was the SS holder defended his title against the leading scorer of the opposition in (I think) the next League meeting-thus it was the first race of the second half that night.It was a simple system-these races always added to the fun of the night-pity they got rid of it. BTW the longest holder in the first season of the BL was Ken Mckinlay with 8 successful defences and next Eric Boocock with 7. Following this post I would like to be declared the honorary Canadian anorak of this message board!!!!!!!!

I mentioned the Scottish Match Race Championship earlire. This was a nominated evet, and was run on a best-of-three basis. In the Meadowbank days it featured contests between the likes of Doug Templeton and George Hunter for Monarchs against Charlie Monk for Tigers. These were eagerly-awaited events, and my recollection is that we were seldon disappointed.

I'd love to see it back this year, now that Glasgow have two credible riders in Messrs Parker and Grieves. Pit them against Ryan Fisher or THJ or Matthew Wethers or Andrew Tully and we'd see cracking races both at Artmadale and Glasgow. Would it add to the gate? I don't know, but surely it wouldn't cost all that much to run.

Similar events could be held elsewhere - maybe Wolves vs Coventry for the Midlands Match Race Championship etc. Speedway needs new ideas, and this would be an easy one to implement.

The Silver Sash came complete with its own little wooden carrying case and when a certain rider won it at Cradley he placed the box on his trailer while he loaded his bike and gear. Having completed the task and taking on some refreshment! he headed off home to Birmingham, forgetting the afore said box. I can't remember who contacted who, but it had made it back to the outskirts of Birmingham before bailing out and was handed in to Kingstanding Police station. When the rider went in to retrieve it a policeman was standing at the desk proudly wearing the Sash. Now, I bet that's one holder you wont find in the record books!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on tell us-who was the rider-it can't be Ivor Brown cos he lived in Wymeswold-I guess it was a visiting rider!!

The Silver Sash and the like were first ridden for in 1928, but for this thread we should say it started in the provincial league 1960. It was held on the holders own track or away track at the next official fixture.?

The first race was at Rayleigh April the 29th Reg Reeves beating Johnny Hole of Bristol... there were 14 races that year.. the sash ending up with Trevor Redmond when he beat Harry Bastable at Cradley Heath in September.

other holders that year .. J.Hole, Reg fearman, Ross Gilbertson, Doug Templeton, Tony Robinson, Jack kitchen, and Harry Bastable

Regards .....Anorak :rolleyes:

At the risk of being christened " super-anorak " to amplify the above comment Johnny Hole was the first nominated holder of the sash and his first defence of it was to have been against the Poole top -scorer at Knowle on April 15 but it was rained off. He lost it to Reg Fearman at Stoke on 21 May when sliding off when leading.

Hi, the following is taken from the complete history of the british speedway.

Golden Helmet (First Division) raced for between 1965 and 7/5/1987 (Mitch Shirra given as last holder, Barry Briggs was initial nominated holder).

Silver Sash (First Division) raced for between 1964 and 1969 (Ivan Mauger has both initial nominated holder and last holder). The book adds that ths Sash was merged with the Golden Helmet in 1971.

Silver Helmet (Second Division) raced for between 1970 and at least 1990 (initial holder was Ross Gilbertson who defeated Ron Bagley, holder at end of 1990 was Andy Grahame).

I'm fairly certain that the Golden Helmet has been raced for since 1990 and that a Bronze Helmet was also raced for by Third Division/Conference/Amateur League riders since 1990 but can't remember when.

The Golden Helmet (Div 1), Silver Helmet (Div 2) & Bronze Helmet (Div 3) were all raced for in the 40s and 50s when we had up to 3 divisions I think. There was also a Scottish Match Race held by teams north of the border

the legend that is ted laessing won it in 1968 anybody who remembers ted will find it hard to believe.

Was that because Ted wasn't that good then??I recall him at Newport in I guess 66 or 67.

Come on tell us-who was the rider-it can't be Ivor Brown cos he lived in Wymeswold-I guess it was a visiting rider!!

BOBBATH : Are you suggesting that Cradley were a one man team !! :shock::lol: