British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
asturmer

Dennissigalos

I have been in contact with Dennis Sigalos, remember him? He is alive and well, living in Orange County California and riding moto x bikes with his young son on a regular basis!

I have posted this note about Dennis as a couple of people had told me he had perished in an accident, which of course is misinformation!!

Not that I'd heard any rumours, but that's good to know. Dennis was always one of my favourite Americans. So, has he given up on the speedboating?

Steve

Great rider Dennis I remember him when he first signed for Hull. Never looked out of place in anybody's company on the track. Guested for Belle Vue three or four times in 1980 and top scored every time.

Glad to hear he is doing well.

Siggy was and is a very rich man and always had the best equipment, maintained superbly by his mechanic Kenny, and rode with a silky smooth style.

Believe he only road in Britain from 1980-85 but built up a big fan base. Americans were really flavour of the day then. He was on the podium in an Individual World Championship and I was in the pits at Liverpool, Australia when he and Bobby Schwartz won the Pairs.

John Berry replaced John Louis and Billy Sanders with Sigalos and John Cook and most Witches fans believed there was no love lost between Dennis and Billy, but that was so very far from the truth as they got on really well and shared workshops in Bucklesham for a couple of years. S&S formed a great double spearhead at Ipswich when Billy returned in 1983 (when Billy finished runner-up in bothe the Individual and Pairs World Final), before dennis was sold to Wolves and Billy captained Ipswich to the double in 1984.

I believe that after Siggy retired due to a reported ankle injury he went on to become a world champion in some form of Powerboating.

Scott Autrey will always remain my favourite USA rider, but Siggy was certainly up there with the best, if only for a very brief time.

Not often you will hear a Kings Lynn fan sing the praises of an Ipswich rider, but Dennis Sigalos was a very stylish, classy rider who rode the Kings Lynn track as well as any visiting rider ever. I think he went something like 27 races undefeated there sometime around 1980 or 1981, remember both Michael Lee and Dave Jessup were virtually unbeatable around Saddlebow Road at that time.

Siggy was by far one of the nicest, most genuine of all the Americans who came over circa 1970's era.

Most Witches fans had their reservations when Siggy and Cookie replaced genuine legends JL and Billy. Siggy was a class act, he was not only a superb racer, but he integrated with the locals and was a true delight to deal with. he and the later returning Billy were great friends, and to this day Siggy remains a hero in the area.

Unlike riders today, he saw teh club as more than just a way of making money..he loved the laid back countryside, and was always willing to front up at any social,publicity event.

he has a fabulous lifestyle in California, and deserves everything which he has achieved in his career both on and off the track.

Top Man Siggy

Siggy first came over to the UK in 1979 and won his first ever race for Hull, at the Boulevard. He also rode for the Vikings in 1980 starting to blossom into he rider we all remember before being sold to Ipswich (along with John Cook) as part of a part-exchange deal with Billy Sanders coming to Hull. Going slightly off thread, it was reported Billy was unhappy at Hull but I've read, and seen on video, interviews where he said riding for Hull "was much more enjoyable than he thought it would be" and he regularly exchanged a thumbs with team-mates after successful races....

Now that is a blast from the past.................had a lot of admiration for him and Cookie.............true professionals and great showmen................

RP

Also confirming what I thought, Siggy took, and holds for all time, the track record at the Boulevard; 68.6. His No.1 fan at Hull was "Mrs One N" so called because she had "Denis Sigalos" printed on a t-shirt - with just the one n. Her family ran a chippie just round the corner and a bit from the Boulevard in Hawthorne Avenue and had speedway photos all over the walls, especially pics of Siggy.....

One of the classiest Ipswich rider I've seen in my many years spectating at Foxhall!

It was a shame we didn't see more of him but I'm sure his wealthy financial state meant that once he had any serious injuries like he did he wasn't going to stay in the sport until he stagnated!

One of the classiest Ipswich rider I've seen in my many years spectating at Foxhall!

It was a shame we didn't see more of him but I'm sure his wealthy financial state meant that once he had any serious injuries like he did he wasn't going to stay in the sport until he stagnated!

He did pick up a couple of injuries which as you said he would not have to put up with and continue racing with! The last time I saw him was at Brands Hatch where he was racing a Formula Ford, before returning to the U.S.

really a nice fella from what i could tell. i do know he was teased a lot about looking like Barry Manilow. :lol: