British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DarrenCook

Gb World Cup Team

It's not the strongest GB team, and like many I was surprised to see King in instead of Rico.

The thing is though - with Rico in we'd come third. Without Rico in we'll come third. So what does it matter.

At least this way we can see which of the youngsters show they can perform on the real stage, and that can be taken into account in the race-off selection where Rico and possibly Nicholls will come into the equation and - once again - we'll come third. Or fourth.

FFS a wheel as not been turned yet, lets give them a chance.

They gotta come through at some point so why not now ..... everyone slated Middlo for not giving the youngsters a go and picking the team that picked itself, now they are in there some are still not happy.

"Richardson..... has been put on stand-by to lead Team GB in the SWC race-off at Leszno - barring any nasty shocks at Peterborough."

Looks like Team GB is already brimming with optimism and confidence then!

Yes we all know they are highly likely to finish third and that is the realistic thing to do, but surely you should at least put up the facade that you think you *might* be able to qualify straight from the first round - for the national press if nothing else?

It's not the strongest GB team, and like many I was surprised to see King in instead of Rico.

The thing is though - with Rico in we'd come third. Without Rico in we'll come third. So what does it matter.

At least this way we can see which of the youngsters show they can perform on the real stage, and that can be taken into account in the race-off selection where Rico and possibly Nicholls will come into the equation and - once again - we'll come third. Or fourth.

I think you make a good point there, Grachan. I couldn't see the sense last year of blooding the kids in the race-off, when there would be more pressure, rather than the first match. If you're going to do it, it seems to me that this is the right way round.

Having said that I would have picked Richardson like a shot but fair play to Rob Lyon: He set out his stall from the off, said we had to bring the young ones through and named his side accordingly. At least he practises what he preaches.

It's called pride ...getting stuffed at home won't do any good for anyone .

You should put your best team out at all times... what a negative attitude from team gb to go an say we are going to get beat so we wil put out a crap side

We should go to boro with our best side thinking we can win .

I think you are right both times there.

The question is if it is a matter of giving the youngsters a chance, why change it at the race off stage ?

You should put your best team out at all times... what a negative attitude from team gb to go an say we are going to get beat so we wil put out a crap side

That is why Rosco should have been team manager.

Can you imagine him settling for a defeat?

Guest Ashie Smashy

Hardly negative to be looking at the future, it is called forward thinking. As for Richardson, as others have said he may be doing well in the EL but on the big stage he is out performed on a regular basis, so who is to say he would do any better.

Well whatever we say isn't going to change anything so will have to put up with this for at least this season before the powers that be can step in.

We should always put out our best team. Orion is spot on. There won't be union jacks at Peterborrough flying from the stands. It will be white flags of surrender.

And why have this at a track where GB struggle? Take it to Wolves and gve us a chance of qualifying. It's not as if the place is going to be packed out, is it?

I would also like to add that I normally go to these meetings to cher on TeamGB, and would have been there for this but for going away for a couple of weeks this weekend. I DO want Team GB to qualify. I don't want to come on here and write "told you so". But the only way to avoid abject failure from failure that is to put out a stronger team.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Well whatever we say isn't going to change anything so will have to put up with this for at least this season before the powers that be can step in.

We should always put out our best team. Orion is spot on. There won't be union jacks at Peterborrough flying from the stands. It will be white flags of surrender.

And why have this at a track where GB struggle? Take it to Wolves and gve us a chance of qualifying. It's not as if the place is going to be packed out, is it?

Bring it to Poole and give us a greater chance of winning. You'l be Gurranteed a big crowd, plenty of home support all the boys ride poole reliatively well, and given decent weather superb place for the boys to relax before the meeting!!. Poole in the height of Summer, best place in the World!!. :approve:

in my opinion we have gone from one extreme to the other ,last year everyone was saying to many has beens and not enough youth but now we have gone the other way to much youth not enough experiance i believe we have to give youth a chance to gain experiance but we also need the old heads there to help and guide

personally i would have gone with richardson instead of king to give a better balance

scott maybe a good rider but at the minute is struggling for form especially at international level

fingers crossed it works for british team and we make it to the final but that i think is the best we can hope for this year

and the team last season was:

Nicholls

Rico

Bomber

Kennett

Woffinden

3 youngsters and 2 'old' guys.............. I dont see how this equates to too many 'has beens and not enough youth' .......

as has been indicated maybe there was a reason for Rico not being picked such as his illness?? ........ if that is the case then im sure no one would want to undermine Danny's confidence by making press statements about it

Let's be honest. The OZ are gonna win this anyway aren't they so why not give the youngsters a shot at it?I take my hat off to Lyon for sticking to his guns.

Richardson will be in the team at Leszno, he is by far the best Brit in Poland, but as for Scott who knows, the way Lewis was talking last night didn't suggest Scott would be in.

well this is the interesting thing isnt it? is it actually a good thing to qualify directly? the stats say it isnt .... and I am certain that the Aussies are on the ball with that one

I'm fully expecting a young Oz team now and the possibility that the 3 main teams will be reluctant to win the qualifier

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/ind...t&p=1514924

what have we been doing for the last 20 years Orion and how far has it got us?

how about the last 2 years.... have you been happy with those?

would you really want us to win at pboro and go directly into the final at Leszno with no race off preparation... like 2 years ago?

2007 FIM WORLD CUP FINAL Leszno

Poland 55

Denmark 52

Australia 29

GB 15

Hardly negative to be looking at the future, it is called forward thinking. As for Richardson, as others have said he may be doing well in the EL but on the big stage he is out performed on a regular basis, so who is to say he would do any better.

His average home and abroad suggests he will do better.

Think Lyons should be applauded for bringing in the Lion Cubs ....

Is it just me that absolutely hates this way of referring to the younger members of the team? What do we call Bomber then - the elder statesman? OAP? :blink:

As has been said before thatis untrue rico record in world speedway is an outstanding one the facts show you that ....putting riders who are no good now and won't be no good in a couple of years is not looking to the future it's just plain stupid .