British Speedway Forum

Unfortunately, when riders abandoned the leather race suits, injuries of this type were always going to happen. Whilst I understand Snappers comments, Snyper also has a point.

The way that Nicki's leg was trapped, even a cotton undersuit was not going to protect

his leg. I have seen riders get burnt from contact with spinning rear wheels, even with

a full leather race suit on. And YES, I've raced and have been there, done it, read the

book etc.

Regarding what should and should not be worn, that is unfortunately down to the individual rider. If he wants to skimp on protection, some do as it can restrict movement, then I am afraid that is their lookout.

I fell more often than I would have liked during my stint on track, never got a serious burn to speak of, not even a case of gravel rash, as the leather suit protected me.

Then I saw kids racing in Kevlars and even the most innocent slide off usually resulted in

several layers of skin being taken off and believe me thats bloody sore. I did that on a road bike and couldnt sit down for weeks.

There are pluses and minuses on all sides, but I personally would advocate a return to

full leather race suits... thats just MY opinion.

Edited by tomcat

I hear what you say Topcat.

There could be several arguments on the issue of leathers vs Kevlars...

1. Problem with leathers is washing - Kevvies can just be bunged in the washer.

2. Leathers are more restrictive, heavy and hot

3. Kevlars are not as protective

I do think riders should be more responsible for wearing proper undersuit protection though.

Yes it may be more bulky to start with but you do get used to it.

I remember being laughed at for wearing padded shorts with leggings underneath and a box....

to be honest it looked like id pooped a weetabix under my kevlars, but I wasnt gonna hurt my butt.

I also remember strapping a pad to the downtube of my bike, Jernej Kolenko used my bike at Exeter and took the pad off, he lifted at the start of his race and cracked his area - he swiftly told me to put it back on lol.

I apologize for deviating from the original topic of the World Cup - but it seemed fitting to discuss protective clothing

to be honest it looked like id pooped a weetabix under my kevlars, but I wasnt gonna hurt my butt.

:lol:

tbh I find it a bit odd that leathers seem to have completely disappeared....... when you outline it as you have above there is an argument for both and usually in that scenario both are used

I take it that the same protection isnt available for those choosing to wear leathers? that because the leathers are already skin tight that nothing could be slipped in other than a back support??

looking at the moto gp riders they have managed to combine the both it seems ... but I wonder at what cost

:lol:

tbh I find it a bit odd that leathers seem to have completely disappeared....... when you outline it as you have above there is an argument for both and usually in that scenario both are used

I take it that the same protection isnt available for those choosing to wear leathers? that because the leathers are already skin tight that nothing could be slipped in other than a back support??

looking at the moto gp riders they have managed to combine the both it seems ... but I wonder at what cost

With the leathers they generally build padding into the actual suit. So they dont normally wear body armor.

I think the main factor is due to cost - a leather suit can be around £700+

New Kevlars are around £500 with second hand coming in at about £100....but this would include all the different designs, colours and sponsor logos.

because of so many second hand kevlars about its obvious what guys starting out would go for just to reduce costs.

And not many leather suits are suitable now for speedway - due to things like speed humps etc.

Something to note - if you turn the throttle forward you can actually increase speed as the rear wheel catches up with the engine.

The same principal is applied to get the bikes to slide in the corners, whereby the throttle is blipped (a quick snap forward and back) to give the rear wheel the required boost to break away and slide.

To slow you have to roll the throttle off by about half and that could have made him drop off a lot - especially as they were entering the bend where you need an increase in speed. He was sort of in no mans land, although he could've avoided the crash...

I was more surprised that Nicki didnt switch to the inside and it did look as if he was going down that path and yet stuck to the outside and went for a gap that wasnt there.

THANKS FOR TEACHING ME TO SUCK EGGS :shock:

did you notice that Emil wore his own race suite during semi final 1?

The SGP rules however says that

Team colours

It is compulsory for all the members of the different national teams to wear their team colour uniform in the pits’ and on the track during practice and race day.

To create a national team identification and feeling, all members of a team, including the riders, must use and incorporate their national colours into uniforms, racing suits, etc.

so why did FIM allow Emil to have his private race suite?

did you notice that Emil wore his own race suite during semi final 1?

The SGP rules however says that

so why did FIM allow Emil to have his private race suite?

Because he would have spat his dummy out again if they had said no!!!!!!!!!!!

But you are right The rules are clear and he should of not been allowed to race or had his points deducted from the team score.

But he is the golden boy at the moment so can get away with it. Untill the next one comes along.

THANKS FOR TEACHING ME TO SUCK EGGS :shock:

What a happy chappy you appear to be. :shock: I would imagine most folks steer away from you at the bar. :lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was a time when the SCB ruled that you could not ride in anything else other than Leathers, but they relented on that about the same time as they relented on the use of the laydown engine.

perhaps not many of you can remember those rules, it is some time ago now.

Leathers still are the better protection, road racers are not allowed to use anything other than leathers, and as regards cost, that is a ridiculous argument when it comes to protection

The money Nikki will lose from being laid off by that burn, he could have bought himself several sets of leathers

Edited by Team Man

You have misread the rule.

The "Team colors" refers to the race jackets....

its the same in the Grand Prix, in that they have to try and wear their Race Jacket at all times.

It is not to say that you have to all have the same styled race suit.

As I said before it is obvious Emil has different sponsors this season, and the Russian race suits were made for last season and do not feature anyones individual logos.

Would you be a high scoring rider not able to display your sponsors????

Emil also has a Russian flag on his chest of his black kevlars - so it incorporates his countries colours into his suit does it not??? lol

As I said before it is obvious Emil has different sponsors this season, and the Russian race suits were made for last season and do not feature anyones individual logos.

Emil also has a Russian flag on his chest of his black kevlars - so it incorporates his countries colours into his suit does it not??? lol

Maybe i am being thick here.....but if the suits feature no logos,that seems just what he needs to have his sponsors logos put on them :unsure::blink: So i don't really believe your explanation somehow.Surely they could have made a new set anyway.I mean if Czecho can get a set of suits surely Russia could have got one made this year if Emil lost his one from last year without the sponsors on it? :blink:

Maybe i am being thick here.....but if the suits feature no logos,that seems just what he needs to have his sponsors logos put on them :unsure::blink: So i don't really believe your explanation somehow.Surely they could have made a new set anyway.I mean if Czecho can get a set of suits surely Russia could have got one made this year if Emil lost his one from last year without the sponsors on it? :blink:

Budget cuts maybe????

Did he have one last year???? He couldve grown out of it????

In all fairness he must have earnt some £ this season in the GPs so why didnt he get a suit out of that - I would if I was representing my country, although a free one would be nice.

Or is it because the suit maker didnt get it done in time???

Also putting logos onto an already made up suit is very difficult - wen a suit is being made its made up of several pieces which have the logos and design put on them and then sewn to make a complete suit.

When I was with the USA team the guys borrowed each others suits from the year before because the funding was really really tight.

Edited by snapper-racing.co.uk

Budget cuts maybe????

In all fairness he must have earnt some £ this season in the GPs so why didnt he get a suit out of that - I would if I was representing my country, although a free one would be nice.

When I was with the USA team the guys borrowed each others suits from the year before because the funding was really really tight.

Come on, you are just making it up as you go along........before you were trying to tell us something as if it was 'fact'.....when it just sounded like bull....now you are proving it was bull :lol:

Budget cuts maybe????

Lots of question marks there. You seemed to have raised more questions than you answered in that post. :unsure:

You have misread the rule.

The "Team colors" refers to the race jackets....

its the same in the Grand Prix, in that they have to try and wear their Race Jacket at all times.

It is not to say that you have to all have the same styled race suit.

To create a national team identification and feeling, all members of a team, including the riders, must use and incorporate their national colours into uniforms, racing suits, etc

if you ask me it says that they have to have both the flag on the chest and national colours inspired kevlars.

Edited by Ghostwalker