British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bruno

Gary Peterson Memorial Trophy 03/08

anyone any info on the line up or format for this meeting.will there be any riders from garys era there as guests?

3rd August @ Monmore

A young line-up for this meeting including: Darcy Ward, Tai Woffinden, Ty Proctor, Nicolai Klindt, Lee Complin, Kenni Larsen, Lewis Bridger, Andrew Tully, Richard Sweetman, Danny King, Ludvig Lindgren, Rene Bach, Linus Sundstrom... plus an extra 3 yet to be named.

Should be an interesting meeting with riders from a number of different clubs.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tai won this one, but of course there's alot of PL talent there including Darcy, Richard and Kenni :approve:

Meeting will be 16 riders, decided over 20 heats.

There is also a special offer with adults aged 21 and under getting in for the concession price of £10

Edited by NicWolves

3rd August @ Monmore

A young line-up for this meeting including: Darcy Ward, Tai Woffinden, Ty Proctor, Nicolai Klindt, Lee Complin, Kenni Larsen, Lewis Bridger, Andrew Tully, Richard Sweetman, Danny King, Ludvig Lindgren, Rene Bach, Linus Sundstrom... plus an extra 3 yet to be named.

Should be an interesting meeting with riders from a number of different clubs.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tai won this one, but of course there's alot of PL talent there including Darcy, Richard and Kenni :approve:

Meeting will be 16 riders, decided over 20 heats.

There is also a special offer with adults aged 21 and under getting in for the concession price of £10

Above riders,plus Lambert,Eklof and Lawson.

I new Gary very well,we both rode for Nelson,and along with Maury Burt he spent alot of time at my house.on a sunday they often came for tea,and insisted my wife Dianne cooked them New Zealand lamb.I have many good memories of Gary we traveled to lots of meetings together and had some good laughs.But once at the track it was racing heads on,he was always focused.I lost touch with him after i retired and he moved up full time to the first divison.GARY had a very unlucky family his sister and one of her chidren where killed in a car crash,after dropping Gary at the airport on his way over to England.It was very sad that he to never got the chance to live a longer life,but i will always have only good memories of Gary .

Jack Lee

Edited by rider slider

I remember being at the BLRC at Hyde Road the night after Gary died at Wolverhampton on the Friday (I'm sure the old grey cells are working OK)........very sombre occasion.

Hope you have a good meeting in memory of an excellent rider.

RIP Gary.

I am far too young to have seen Gary race, but I have read about it on this website...

Gary Peterson

I have also heard about that night from my Dad, who was there when this happened.

It was extremely sad, and brought the realisation of just how dangerous this sport can be.

R.I.P Gary :(

Just wanted to ask about the lineup posted on the Wolves site aswell...

It says "Woffinden-Proctor- Klindt- Complin- Lawson- Bridger- Bach- King- Sweetman- Lambert- Tully-Eklof- Larsen- Ward- Lawson- Sundstrom"

Lawson is named twice (Richard and William?) But Ludvig is missing from the new list, is this a typo or are the two lawsons invited? :unsure:

I remeber seeing Gary ride for Wolves at Plough Lane.Still have his autograph......good to see him still being remembered with a good looking line-up

RIP Gary

I am far too young to have seen Gary race, but I have read about it on this website...

Gary Peterson

I was standing opposite the third bend, my favourite place, and witnessed Alan Graham pass on Gary's inside coming out of the pits turn to lead into the third bend. Not to be outdone, Gary took a wide line attempting to pass on the outside of the bends, but for some reason which we didn't know at the time, he failed to turn and accelerated towards a robust light column which had no guard and thus no protection for the riders. I'll never forget the noise Gary's bike made on impact. It was similar to steel sheets falling off a roof.

"Afterwards it was suggested that Alan Graham had clipped his wheel, but from the vantage point both myself and dozens of other spectators were enjoying, no such contact was observed.

I remember the night well and Gary did try to pass on the outside and caught the back of Alan Grahame's bike. For a split second, his bike stopped, twisted towards the fence and shot off at full speed. On hitting the fence, Gary was thrown over the fence into the lighting stand.

I have many great memories of speedway since 1971, but this has to be one of the worst I have witnessed in all those years.

A great line up full of potential riders and hopefully a good crowd too.

I new Gary very well,we both rode for Nelson,and along with Maury Burt he spent alot of time at my house.on a sunday they often came for tea,and insisted my wife Dianne cooked them New Zealand lamb.I have many good memories of Gary we traveled to lots of meetings together and had some good laughs.But once at the track it was racing heads on,he was always focused.I lost touch with him after i retired and he moved up full time to the first divison.GARY had a very unlucky family his sister and one of her chidren where killed in a car crash,after dropping Gary at the airport on his way over to England.It was very sad that he to never got the chance to live a longer life,but i will always have only good memories of Gary .

Jack Lee

very nice to read your memories jack. i remember seeing gary ride at the london tracks when i was a kid. i must say well done to your buxton boys for putting on a good show on the island on tuesday, i thought it was a very good meeting.

I believe Joe Haines is a meeting reserve on Monday.

Well he was quick in practice after Mondays meeting, but the previous week it was thought it may be a bit too soon.

Having said that, at reserve he may not get a ride, but if he did, he could beat a fair few of the line up and really shake things up in just a few heats.

I think it is too soon for Joe to ride as part of the line-up in the meeting, as does Joe most likely.

He looked good on Monday but shouldn't rush a return.

Having him at reserve means he may be able to have a few rides but isn't pushed into riding too many heats.

I think if Joe wasn't injured he would be the first one asked, but it looks like definite steps to full fitness after watching him Monday :)

I was quite surprised to see Darcy in the line-up, thought he to was injured and hasn't rode for Kings Lynn for a while :unsure:

is this a typo or are the two lawsons invited? :unsure:

It's Richard (son of Steve) and William. For NicWolves, the last I noticed, Darcy Ward was due to make his comeback tomorrow at Newport but I haven't checked in the last few days.

It's Richard (son of Steve) and William. For NicWolves, the last I noticed, Darcy Ward was due to make his comeback tomorrow at Newport but I haven't checked in the last few days.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Darcy is confirmed, so must be coming back soon- may be using the open as extra practice. Always good to watch, enjoyed watching him in the under-21 at Rye House, glad he's agreed to take part :approve: