British Speedway Forum
Snyper1010

World Champions That Never Were

1937 should have been Cordy Milne-more consistent than Jack or Wilbur!!!!!!!!!!

Who's gonna decide 1937 then?? :lol:

All the best

Rob

Sunderland won the F.A. Cup in 1937 Rob. :wink::wink:

Thanx for reminding me. :blink::lol:

QUOTE (BOBBATH @ Sep 4 2009, 07:23 PM)

1937 should have been Cordy Milne-more consistent than Jack or Wilbur!!!!!!!!!!

Jack was top of the averages in 1937 with an 11+ average. he was by far the best rider that year.

I'd go for 1. Jack Milne 2. Bluey Wilkinson 3. Lionel Van Praag.

League averages that year:

1. Jack Milne 11.09

2. Lionel Van Praag 10.53

3. Eric Langton 10.18

4. Bluey Wilkinson 10.13

5. Bill Kitchen 9.88

6. Jack Parker 9.81

7. Joe Abbott 9.49

8. Cordy Milne 9.38

Edited by norbold

Jack was top of the averages in 1927 with an 11+ average. he was by far the best rider that year.

I'd go for 1. Jack Milne 2. Bluey Wilkinson 3. Lionel Van Praag.

League averages that year:

1. Jack Milne 11.09

2. Lionel Van Praag 10.53

3. Eric Langton 10.18

4. Bluey Wilkinson 10.13

5. Bill Kitchen 9.88

6. Jack Parker 9.81

7. Joe Abbott 9.49

8. Cordy Milne 9.38

Norbold, how long was Bluey Wilkinson out injured in 1937? He missed the World Final that year through injury. Surely he would've struggled to finish second in the GP series had he had to miss more than one round?

I agree with Jack Milne being 1937 GP champion though - it was definitely "his" year. Top bonus point scorer, 15-point max at Wembley, top of the averages - who could have stopped him?

All the best

Rob

I retract my comments for 1937-Jack it is,I guess we are all agreed on Bluey for 1938-so what about 1949-don't think it should have been Tommy-how about Jack Parker??

Norbold, how long was Bluey Wilkinson out injured in 1937? He missed the World Final that year through injury. Surely he would've struggled to finish second in the GP series had he had to miss more than one round?

Yes, but if he'd have been riding in the GP that year, he would have missed the meeting in which he got injured, so he'd have been ok. :rolleyes:

so what about 1949-don't think it should have been Tommy-how about Jack Parker??

I think we should start at 1946. Otherwise we're in danger of doing Vic Duggan yet another injustice!

I retract my comments for 1937-Jack it is,I guess we are all agreed on Bluey for 1938-so what about 1949-don't think it should have been Tommy-how about Jack Parker??

Yes, I would go along with Jack Parker, who had a fabulous season in 1949.

Stenner's World Rankings were:

1. Jack Parker

2. Aub Lawson

3. Tommy Price

4. Vic Duggan

5. Wilbur Lamoreux

6. Graham Warren

A word for Vic Duggan would won have definitely won a GP series in 1947 or 1948. Duggan crashed out halfway through the 1949 season, then his brother was killed during the 1949-1950 winter and he was never the same again.

1950 = Graham Warren. Agree or diasgree?

All the best

Rob

I think we should start at 1946. Otherwise we're in danger of doing Vic Duggan yet another injustice!

Well 1947 and 1948 are definitely Vic Duggan.

What about 1946 though? Jack Parker?

And what about 1939 - surely any GP series would have been eight elevenths through before the interruption of Mr. A. Hitler and therefore a result could have been called?

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I agree with Warren for 1950, agree also with 46,47,48 suggestions-wot about 49 tho??

1939, Cordy Milne I would think. His average that year was an incredible 11.29. He was top of the bonus points chart for the World Final and hot favourite to win.

I'll go along with the general opinion for 1946-50, though I think Eric Langton would have run Jack Parker close in 1946. I also think Ron Johnson would have been in with a good chance.

Ok, so we have:

1936 - Eric Langton

1937 - Jack Milne

1938 - Bluey Wilkinson

1939 - Cordy Milne

1946 - Jack Parker

1947 - Vic Duggan

1948 - Vic Duggan

1949 - Jack Parker

1950 - Graham Warren

Anyone disagree with the above?

We now enter the Jack Young era - how many GP titles would have he won? Jim Stenner has him down as the best rider in the world in 1951, 1952 & 1953, would he have held on in 1954 & 1955, or would the new young brigade, headed by Ronnie Moore have caught him up at the some point?

All the best

Rob

Yes, I would go along with Jack Parker, who had a fabulous season in 1949.

Stenner's World Rankings were:

1. Jack Parker

2. Aub Lawson

3. Tommy Price

4. Vic Duggan

5. Wilbur Lamoreux

6. Graham Warren

A word for Vic Duggan would won have definitely won a GP series in 1947 or 1948. Duggan crashed out halfway through the 1949 season, then his brother was killed during the 1949-1950 winter and he was never the same again.

1950 = Graham Warren. Agree or diasgree?

All the best

Rob

I think Parker gets it for 49

Top averages (Jackson & Vass) were:

1 Duggan 10.65

2 Warren 10.23

3 J Parker 10.13

4 Lammy 9.65

5 Lawson 9.57

Top pointscorers (Morrish):

1 J Parker 393

2 Warren 376

3 Lawson 374

4 Oliver 363

5 Gilbert 357

6 Price 348

Duggan missed 11 matches due to injury in July which would have lost him a couiple of GP rounds leaving Parker's experience to edge out youthful Warren.

I'm, comfortable with the consensus that is emerging around:

1936 Eric Langton

1937 Jack Milne

1938 Bluey Wilkinson

1939 Cordy Milne

1946 Jack Parker

1947 Vic Duggan

1948 Vic Duggan

1949 Jack Parker

1950 Graham Warren

- let the debate continue

Yes, I disagree. 1936 - Bluey Wilkinson.

OK, we need a few more people's opinions on 1936. Would it have been Eric Langton or Bluey Wilkinson?

My argument for Langton is that, with the bonus points system, there was a kind of GP series already taking place, albeit one with a large bias to the final round at Wembley. Langton went into Wembley with 13 bonus points, Wilkinson had 10 - which means Langton would have outscored Wilkinson heavily in the qualifiers.

So had there been a full-blown 11-round GP series in 1936, I think Langton would have been the rider with the consistency to take it.

And we have gone along with the top bonus point scorer being the champion in 1937, 1938 & 1939.

Norbold, what's the argument for Wilkinson?

We'll then see what other people think.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Yes, I disagree. 1936 - Bluey Wilkinson.

I think Bluey Wilkinson was the best rider* in 1936, BUT the view that most of the participants in this debate have taken is that by topping the bonus point scorers going into the World Final Eric Langton has made his case. And Wilkinson was only 6th in the list of bonus point scorers going into the final.

* edit: actually looking at the 1936 averages I think that a stronger case can be made for Frank Charles

Edited by arnieg