British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ross

Ole Olsen Youtube Clip

Hope you enjoy

Edited by Ross

A reminder of how good the ITV coverage of Speedway was in the 70s and 80s.

That was a really nice tribute to a great racer. Funny really, he was a champion back when all of the top fellas rode speedway, grasstrack & longtrack, and Ole was equally adept on them all. He was as tough as they come, and nobody can argue that. :approve:

Brings back memories, the 81 World Final at Wembley and the World Team Cup Final at Olching in the same year, both of which I was fortunate enough to attend.

Also Ole's farewell at Coventry in 1983 and a crowd of 20,000!!! I remember parking about a mile away from the track and the queues to get in stretched back to the main road.

Olsen was certainly one heck of a rider and regularly made mincemeat of the Hull team at the Boulevard, where he was definately an attraction, until we signed Mauger. Ivan did great for us but I always wondered what would have happened if Ole had joined Hull in 1976 (as initially insisted by good ol' Rider Control) and how the Hull Vikings would have faired....

Whats more shocking is that it is nearly 26 years since this meeting. :blink:

I feel old now

That’s a terrific tribute to Ole, who was a brilliant rider in his day.

He made an enormous contribution to speedway, especially in home land. Without him Danish speedway might not exist.

Ole would never have ridden for Hull in 1976, as he said at the time. If he was not riding for Coventry that year, he would not ride in the British League.

I went to that meeting and have the footage on a video tape somewhere. Haven't watched the Youtube, but guess it's the same footage. Does it have the bit with Ole and the young Danish kids? Wondered if any of them a recogniseable. Always thought one of them looked like it could be Brian Karger.

Ole's refusal to go where he was allocated was, I believe, influential in the demise of Rider Control. He refused to ride for Oxford in 1975 too insisting he wanted to go to Coventry after being allocated to the Rebels.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Sep 15 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That’s a terrific tribute to Ole, who was a brilliant rider in his day.

He made an enormous contribution to speedway, especially in home land. Without him Danish speedway might not exist.

Think you are going a bit too far to suggest that.Ole was as everyone has said a terrific rider.Great to watch around Plough Lane and i was at Wembley in 75.But there were a few top class danish riders before Ole came on the scene and no doubt there would have been a few come along if Ole hadn't had the success he did.But his contribution to Speedway in Denmark is never the less imense.He was always one of my favourite away riders in his colourful leathers.........but to me he is more a Wolves rider.All my pics of him are in his Wolves bodycolours,i think

Think you are going a bit too far to suggest that.Ole was as everyone has said a terrific rider.Great to watch around Plough Lane and i was at Wembley in 75.But there were a few top class danish riders before Ole came on the scene and no doubt there would have been a few come along if Ole hadn't had the success he did.But his contribution to Speedway in Denmark is never the less imense.He was always one of my favourite away riders in his colourful leathers.........but to me he is more a Wolves rider.All my pics of him are in his Wolves bodycolours,i think
Iris, His results speak for themselves. He was a terrific rider, whether people liked him or not. He slipped from 1980 onwards, but during his peak he was really good. Just listen to Ivans words in the video. Coming from him that is good enough for me. Very rarely do I disagree with you but this time I have to. Ole was the real deal in my opinion.

Iris, His results speak for themselves. He was a terrific rider, whether people liked him or not. He slipped from 1980 onwards, but during his peak he was really good. Just listen to Ivans words in the video. Coming from him that is good enough for me. Very rarely do I disagree with you but this time I have to. Ole was the real deal in my opinion.

I agree with all that has been said about Ole...apart from the statement that speedway in Denmark might not exist without him.I am fairly sure it would,just not anywhere near the level of success it has had since Ole made it to the top. :unsure: That is all i was saying .............

I agree with all that has been said about Ole...apart from the statement that speedway in Denmark might not exist without him.I am fairly sure it would,just not anywhere near the level of success it has had since Ole made it to the top. :unsure: That is all i was saying .............

Fair play.. Sorry.. :wink: