British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Which Brit Should Get A Wild Card?

....and how many Welshmen attend?, if you cant be sensible or contribute seriously to a debate why bother?

I'm not aware of the numbers!

You state that because Poland, Sweden and Denmark stage the GPs then riders from those countries should be included. Then you mention an Englishman, I was merely saying that England doesn't stage a GP. It was said as a tongue in cheek comment! :P

For what it's worth, I think nationality is totally irrelevant, it should be the top 15 riders in the world who compete in the GPs and the wildcard representing the country the GP is held in. In the case of Cardiff, it should be a BRITISH rider :wink:

Many speedway fans support the rider(s) from their club, or they have favourite riders that they like to see doing well. Of course we Brits want to see our countrymen competing in the GP competition but if they are not up to the mark then they don't deserve to take a place from a rider who should be there on ability, not nationality.

Like others have said, the fans will still flock to Cardiff irrelevant of whether a British rider has a top 15 place or not.

I don't think any of the Brits are 100% top 8 material.

Scott has pretty much ruled himself out, if he's offered a place I would be surprised if he accepted it. Chris has had one good performance all year, in the last GP- he said it was because there was no pressure on him, if he's picked again surely the pressure's back on? :unsure: Eddie isn't quite there, Lewis isn't scoring consistently across all continents and IMO Tai needs another year.

Tai is riding fantastically in his leagues, but another year could see him 100% ready for that level of racing- throwing him in at the deep end too early could have negative effects.

That leaves Lee, I don't know how interested he is in doing the GPs. He doesn't seem that bothered, and as some have said he's 'been there, done that.'

I don't see why a Brit has to have a wildcard into the series, why not simply nominate a Brit in Cardiff?

It would make no difference to me personally, I support the rider more than the nationality and would rather see Freddie get a wildcard than Bomber.

There would be a British rider in it - as the Wild Card for the hosting nation.

Yes, I realised that, but not one with a chance of winning the Grand Prix. What I'm getting at is that I don't think that not having a full GP British rider at Cardiff would make any difference to the gate. I don't think not having a British rider would make any real difference to the interest in the Grand Prix series as a whole. After all, it's not as though British riders have any chance of winning the GP at the moment. Does anyone here watch the Grand Prix on television or go to see them live just because Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris are in them?

Edited by norbold

Fully agree with Norbold.

Anyway Crumpy, Leigh and Noddy are just Brits with funny accents. :wink:

Fully agree with Norbold.

Anyway Crumpy, Leigh and Noddy are just Brits with funny accents. :wink:

I believe Tony Millard did once mention in passing that Crumpy was born in Bristol....

Well after today's Under 21 WF there can no longer be any doubt what the answer to this question posed in this thread MUST be. It HAS to be Tai who was so unlucky not to win the world crown and in which case he'd be in, in 2010 anyhow.

A SGP next year containing Sayfutdinov, Holder, now Ward and also Woffinden..? Blimey, this would transform it IMHO.. :approve:

If we go instead for Scotty we may as well all pack up and go home... :rolleyes:

There will be others who will possibly need a pick to get in, and they aren't British, yet I hear no noises about that, and one of those is the current champion, so for those who disagree with the wildcard process, that blows the arguement out of the water.

No it does not. There simply isn't an argument about giving a 3 times champion a wildcard if needed.

And even if he were not an ex-champ, it's not as though there are any better Danish options

The case for Tai is far less clear cut.

Well after today's Under 21 WF there can no longer be any doubt what the answer to this question posed in this thread MUST be. It HAS to be Tai who was so unlucky not to win the world crown and in which case he'd be in, in 2010 anyhow.

A SGP next year containing Sayfutdinov, Holder, now Ward and also Woffinden..? Blimey, this would transform it IMHO.. :approve:

If we go instead for Scotty we may as well all pack up and go home... :rolleyes:

ward and woffiden would indeed transfor the gp's the first riders to be excluded for being lapped pserhaps?

ward and woffiden would indeed transfor the gp's the first riders to be excluded for being lapped pserhaps?

Hmm, and I wonder if you might have posted this same comment about Sayfutdinov a year ago..?! :angry:

If the likes of Nicholls who is a million miles away from being world class can inhabit this series for so long without being lapped I don't think there's too much to concern you..

BTW, your posting is almost certainly the most stupid in the history of the BSF...: well done!! :rolleyes:

I'm not aware of the numbers!

You state that because Poland, Sweden and Denmark stage the GPs then riders from those countries should be included.

I didnt say that , did you read my post at all?

Try reading it and you will see that I didnt say 'should be included', in fact I offered no opinion, quite the opposite

My opinion for what it's worth is that they should give Tai the only brit wildcard as he's shown he can mix it at the top level in all 3 major leagues and will only improve, and he's a bit narky so should increase the entertainment value!

Richardson has had a good season but so have many other non brits, plenty of whom haven't had the numerous chances he has had in the series. Hope he can keep it up and qualify by right in the future.

Harris will probably be first reserve anyhow if Lindgren is picked or finishes top 8, this will probably mean 3-4 grand prix's covering injuries for him to make his case for 2011.

Hope Adams is going to retire to free up another place, he shouldn't carry on if no longer at the top or his heart not 100% in it.

Holder and Hampel make the series stronger, god knows what will happen with Zorro, but at least he's shown he can win on the big occasions and did qualify by right, so good luck to him.

Yes, I realised that, but not one with a chance of winning the Grand Prix. What I'm getting at is that I don't think that not having a full GP British rider at Cardiff would make any difference to the gate. I don't think not having a British rider would make any real difference to the interest in the Grand Prix series as a whole. After all, it's not as though British riders have any chance of winning the GP at the moment. Does anyone here watch the Grand Prix on television or go to see them live just because Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris are in them?

Actually, yes. I went to Latvia this year but wouldn't have if there were no brits to support. The event loses appeal for me. Also, a lot of people are puitting Woffinden forward but isn't he a reserve in the foreign leagues?

Edited by SPEEDY69

You went all the way to Latvia to see Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris. Fair play to you, mate.

Actually, yes. I went to Latvia this year but wouldn't have if there were no brits to support. The event loses appeal for me. Also, a lot of people are puitting Woffinden forward but isn't he a reserve in the foreign leagues?

The reserve berths are not taken by the lowest averages riders like in the UK but by under 21's. He has done so well for both Vargarna and Czestochowa(SP) that they almost always use him for the maxmium number of rides as he beats the worlds top riders each week. You obviously never watch the live feeds.

Anyone out there know when the wildcards are chosen? I imagine it's after the final GP, but how soon after?