British Speedway Forum
hullangel

Whats My Line

What point did I miss?

Sorry, I only saw your point about it running from 1951 to 1963 - missed your line about the brief later revivals.

Yes I did miss Reg Lambourne - bit of a handicap being born in 1957.

Rob McCaffery

Edited by rmc

YES - Norbold - you are right. Compulsive viewing - brought a tear to my eye thinking back to the somewhat - in my view - better days of Television.

Thank you for that my friend. :):):)

Those were the days, my friend, sad they had to end - those days when you could guarantee at least two programmes worth watching most evenings.

Those days when soaps were what you washed with.

Ah yes, I remember them well!

Yes I did miss Reg Lambourne - bit of a handicap being born in 1957.

Rob McCaffery

You youngsters! :wink:

I don't know about Reg Lambourne but I remember watching Ray Wilson on it, in the late 60's or early 70's I would say.

That coulda bin it seem to remember the rider was called Ray something, though it was a long time ago....

Hi RonButler-I'm about the same age -apart from What's My Line remember "Take Your Pick" with Michael Miles etc-there should be a forum for 50's TV!! Also as regards WML-Lady Isobel Barnett got had up for shoplifting once and went to court-those toffs!!!! Like you is it my imagination or are the posters decreasing in age-they seem to be getting younger while of course we remain the same age!!!!!!

Bloody Hell -just googled Isobel Barnett and she committed suicide-electrocuted herself-also my internet wanderings took me to a site called UK Game Shows.com which covers every conceivable show and the biographies of panel members. Sorry to have taken the forum off on this tangent but am sure Norbold, Starghost and other more mature members of the forum will be interested.In fact there is a rumour Norbold that you took her out and may have googled her when you were younger!!!! Sorry will confine my future postings to such arcane matters as the World's tallest speedway rider-who WAS that again???????.

Hi RonButler-I'm about the same age -apart from What's My Line remember "Take Your Pick" with Michael Miles etc-there should be a forum for 50's TV!! Also as regards WML-Lady Isobel Barnett got had up for shoplifting once and went to court-those toffs!!!! Like you is it my imagination or are the posters decreasing in age-they seem to be getting younger while of course we remain the same age!!!!!!

Hi Bob Bath,

I've just looked at your profile.

You seem to be rather shy about disclosing your age :wink: According to my birth certificate I shall be 77 exactly four weeks today. Now what does that know, it's only a bit of paper. A bit of paper that's not worth the paper it's written on! :D

I'm aiming to get to 80 and then I'll probaly give my two remaining little grey cells a break and give the youngters chance to become as intellectually superior as I like to think I was when I was a young man. Meantime I'll just sit at my keyboard and play the silly old codger card. :lol:

Regards,

Ron.

Edited by Ron Butler

That coulda bin it seem to remember the rider was called Ray something, though it was a long time ago....

Ray Terry? West Ham junior rider of the 1950s maybe?

Bloody Hell -just googled Isobel Barnett and she committed suicide-electrocuted herself.

Isobel lived locally and I knew she had committed suicide but I couldn't remember how. Very sad really but probably due to the shame of being caught shop lifting. I'm sure she would have been dealt with leniently due to her age so it's such a shame she decided to kill herself.

And while we are on this sad subject another who comes to mind is Ted Moult who was a farmer but also appeared in quiz shows and will also be remembered for being in the advert for double glazing. It's really sad that some people can see no way out of their depression except to commit suicide. :sad:

Edited by Gemini

Ah yes, Ted Moult. The first guest in Countdown's Dictionary Corner....

Yes, quite a few of the regular contestants seem to have reached a sad or suicidal end to life, Gilbert Harding, Lady Isobel Barnett and Ted Moult among them. Isobel Barnett was caught shoplifting, but before the ignominy of a trial killed herself by putting an electric heater in her bath. Ted Moult shot himself with a double-barrelled shotgun when his farm ran into debts and he faced repossession. Harding was intensely lonely and homosexual at a time when it was still illegal, famously exposed by the John Freeman Face to Face interview. he actually died of an asthma attack at 53 on the steps of Broadcasting House, but had been quoted as saying he wanted to die.

Anyone remember Hughie Green and Monica Rose in 'Double your Money'. :blink:

Yes. A great team.

Indeed,the Sky`s the limit for them two :rolleyes::lol: