British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

Two Maximums In One Night

In a double header at Birmingham 26-9-1953 Alan Hunt scored two Maximums, 12 from 4 rides as Wembley went down 46-38 and 15 from 5 rides as Coventry got a battering.

Has any other rider achieved this feat? :unsure:

Not that unusual.Steve Lawson and Andy Reid both did it on 17/10/80 against Workington and Middlesbrough.

I think Brian Collins and Mick McKeon did it in 1977 in a double header at Blantyre

Ngel Boocock double haeder 1968 and thnk he followed it up same year with another

Edited by Bee

Pretty sure Peter Collins did too, though I can't remember the year or the meetings. Will check my programmes when I get a chance.

Not that unusual.Steve Lawson and Andy Reid both did it on 17/10/80 against Workington and Middlesbrough.

I think Brian Collins and Mick McKeon did it in 1977 in a double header at Blantyre

Steve Lawson was also unbeaten against Scunny and Middlesbrough in 1981, DW. Collins and Mckeon both missed out against Newport in 1977, but got maximums in the Stoke meeting. I think there were one or two double headers during the 93 and 94 title years, so I am pretty sure one or two Tigers would have remained unbeaten in those. Would have been 18 pointers aswell.

Oh dear ! seems quite a common occurrence, heres me thinking my hero may be the only one.. silly me :lol:

shows how much I can remember of recent times but I can recall the past much easier .. Still Hunt may have been the first to ahieve this feat.. anyone know of any earlier double maximums?

Edited by Nigel

Hans Nielsen did it against Reading and Swindon at Oxford on October 16th 1985 and succesfuuly defended the Golden Helmet twice into the bargain.

Hans also scored two maximums against Reading a few times on the same day, when we used to meet them home and away on bank holidays. On August Bank Holiday 1991, Hans scored an 18-point maximum at Oxford and a 21-point maximum at Reading. 13 wins out of 13 on the same day - I would imagine that could be a record.

All the best

Rob

And here's a bit of a odd stat. Colin Ackroyd scored a double maximum at Oxford in a double header in 1981 - his only two maximums of the season.

All the best

Rob

Barry Briggs (Swindon) on October 9, 1965. 12 point max v Belle Vue. 15 point max v Wolves.

Barry Briggs (Swindon) on August 25, 1967. 12 point max v Edinburgh followed by a 12 point max v Exeter. Nigel Boocock also scored twin maximums for Coventry in a double header against Glasgow and Exeter the week before.

Also in 1965 - Dick Fisher got successive paid maximums for Belle Vue vs Oxford and Edinburgh.

Edited by Grachan

Oh dear ! seems quite a common occurrence, heres me thinking my hero may be the only one.. silly me :lol:

shows how much I can remember of recent times but I can recall the past much easier .. Still Hunt may have been the first to ahieve this feat.. anyone know of any earlier double maximums?

Derek Close of Newcastle scored 12 from four rides agaist Sheffield and against Fleetwood in double header on 9 October 1950.

I may be totally wrong, but I seem to remember Martin Ashby scoring 2 maximums on one night, while guesting for Wimbledon.

1976 I think when the dons were short of a recognised number one due to Tommy Jansson's demise.

I may be totally wrong, but I seem to remember Martin Ashby scoring 2 maximums on one night, while guesting for Wimbledon.

1976 I think when the dons were short of a recognised number one due to Tommy Jansson's demise.

Sorry Slickmick, the 'Dons' did not feature any double headers home or away in '76, except for the London Cup match at Hackney. When Hackney raced against Wimbledon and White City at home in November. The 'Dons' won the cup by beating Hackney 49 - 29 in the first fixture, of the London Cup.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Dec 13 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry Slickmick, the 'Dons' did not feature any double headers home or away in '76, except for the London Cup match at Hackney. When Hackney raced against Wimbledon and White City at home in November.

Not strictly true... The Dons also appeared that year in another double header (though themselves just the once like your example, obviously...) away at White City in August with the Rebels beating Wimbledon 45-33 in the League match, then tripping up 38-40 against King's Lynn in the second match, a KOC tie...

Are you sure that the Hackney meeting you refer to was in November...? :unsure: Seems late and I thought the Warners Holiday Chase at the end of October was the last meeting at the Wick that year..? :unsure:

Are you sure that the Hackney meeting you refer to was in November...? Seems late and I thought the Warners Holiday Chase at the end of October was the last meeting at the Wick that year..?

Speedway in November??? :o You 'avin a larf, Del-Boy??? The season NEVER runs that late...

Sorry, but the double-header at Waterden Rd was staged on November 1, 1976. We beat the Hawks 49-29 in the first match, and then Hackney downed the Rebels 42-36.

The Warners Holiday Chase was held on October 29, with Ole Olsen the winner.

Steve

Edited by chunky