British Speedway Forum
IW08

2010 World Cup Calendar

How disappointing.

In what way is it disappointing, Rigsby? A detailed explantation would be appreciated.

Edited by Ron Butler

I like the sound of that,Kings Lynn is a great race track,Jon and Buster now have one of the most improved venues going and a lot of hard work has gone into the place and the facilities are getting better and better,a great reward for what they've done if you ask me,supporting these ventures is good for Speedway over here :lol:

Shame Vojens gets the 2 meetings again though,shame that one wasn't shared around this year :cry:

Hope our boys get plenty of track time through the season,as i would have thought you go for a track that gives the home team an advantage.But from my limited knowledge more foreign riders have ridden the track than British over the past few years.Australia probably have a few track experts.Or maybe we ain't looking to go straight through to the final :unsure:

Sometimes the allocation of tracks in Gb make me wonder what is going on.A competition that cries out for a "neutral" track gets allocated to a team in that competition.Whereas a competition that needs a track biased towards our riders gets allocated to a "neutral" track :blink:

You do know of course that GB needs that home track to get to the race off!!?? :shock::blink:

Havent seen even pictures from the KL track for a while but I understand it's a stadium, not just a track. That SHOULD be rewarded with a meeting like this.

Woop! I really enjoyed the SWC this year at Peterborough, so hopefully we'll be going to this one :approve:

You do know of course that GB needs that home track to get to the race off!!?? :shock::blink:

Havent seen even pictures from the KL track for a while but I understand it's a stadium, not just a track. That SHOULD be rewarded with a meeting like this.

Of course the race off is assured if Slovenia are also in :wink: But what i am saying is,if the meeting is being held in GB the authorities should do their utmost to use a track where GB have the best chance of going directly through to the Final.Anything else is extremely risky.Using King's Lynn,where none of the current squad ride as a home track is crazy imo.And to further the problems it was the home track of what could be called the weaker link in the Aussie squad i.e Darcy Ward.So now by using this track Australia are boosted and GB weakened in my opinion.Ok it is the home track of the GB manager.He can give the riders a few tips,but it isn't the same as using a track where two or three of the GB guys have ridden extensively over the past couple of years.The race offs will be very tricky for GB and the sport in GB needs a big boost on the international stage at the moment.And in this competition we can't rely on the good old wildcard :neutral:

Remember this from earlier this year??

In order to obtain the rights to stage SWC, Gorzow's Town Hall (City Council) had to comply with 41 conditions put in front of them

by the BSI. Among others, the Town Hall has to provide and pay for several rooms and one apartment in "the best hotel in town" for

the BSI delegation at the time of the event duration, as well as for air tickets, three cars and translators.

BSI will also be given, free of charge, 250 tickets for the best seats on the Main Stand, and 50 further (and more, if required)

tickets at half price

The Town Hall has to "ensure availability ( at no cost to BSI) of four girls to be present at the starting gate", and those girls

"must be accepted in advance (of the event) by BSI. Apart from that the Town has to act according to all reasonable requests from

the BSI..

The most important condition is that Gorzow, for the rights of staging the event has to pay BSI 300 thousand British Pounds.

But that's not the whole cost Gorzow have to bear. There are advertising boards to be bought, security forces to be hired and all

other costs involved in staging such a event.

The list of BSI responsibilities is much shorter, and consists only of two points. The BSI is to supply their own air fence,

decoration box and advertising board used as a background during TV interviews, and clothes for the track staff - if deemed

necessary. They will also supply six blank advertising banners, which Gorzow can sell to interesting companies, on condition that

BSI will approve them.

Other conditions are no less interesting. Gorzow is not to undertake any activity, or voice opinions which might be seen as harmful

to BSI reputation, renown and image. In other words Gorzow has to keep its mouth shut. Also when it comes to disclosing any details

from their agreement, which the local newspaper has just revealed

All in all the whole document consists of 15 pages. When Gorzow's mayor together with Gorzow speedway team chairman recently boasted

about the news of signing the agreement with BSI, they did not reveal any details. The City Councillors were not very happy when

they heard that everything had already been agreed and signed behind their backs. After all any public money which is to be spent

has to be agreed by the whole Council. And councillors learned the details not at the City Council meeting, but from the local

newspaper. The last nail in the coffin - so to speak - happened to be the news that the first 50 thousand GB Pounds ought to be paid

four days after signing this agreement.

Can we believe that the same contract will be in place in sunny Norfolk??

This is a shocking decision for British Speedway, i can't believe how short sighted some people are. In case nobody had noticed British speedway is facing a very uncertain future, with one of the biggest problems being the lack of aspiration most clubs have to ride in the 'top flight. To encourage and reward one such club is a massive kick in the teeth the the public face of Speedway in Britain-The Elite.

Name me one other British club that have improved their facilities to the same degree as King's Lynn. The Stars may well be a Premier League team but their stadium is one of the best, if not the best, in the UK. Of course if you think the FIM and the wider TV viewing public should think Belle Vue is the standard of British Speedway facilities, there's no discussing the matter with you. (No offence meant to BV as I realise they are shackled by their landlords)

Of course the race off is assured if Slovenia are also in :wink: But what i am saying is,if the meeting is being held in GB the authorities should do their utmost to use a track where GB have the best chance of going directly through to the Final.Anything else is extremely risky.Using King's Lynn,where none of the current squad ride as a home track is crazy imo.And to further the problems it was the home track of what could be called the weaker link in the Aussie squad i.e Darcy Ward.So now by using this track Australia are boosted and GB weakened in my opinion.Ok it is the home track of the GB manager.He can give the riders a few tips,but it isn't the same as using a track where two or three of the GB guys have ridden extensively over the past couple of years.The race offs will be very tricky for GB and the sport in GB needs a big boost on the international stage at the moment.And in this competition we can't rely on the good old wildcard :neutral:

I'd suggest that King's Lynn can and will provide Team GB with as much practice time as they and Rob Lyon want. The track is used most days of the week for training schools, practice and testing (ask Jason Crump :wink: ). How many other Uk tracks have that freedom?

I'll hibernate to the sidelines again now :lol:

Name me one other British club that have improved their facilities to the same degree as King's Lynn. The Stars may well be a Premier League team but their stadium is one of the best, if not the best, in the UK. Of course if you think the FIM and the wider TV viewing public should think Belle Vue is the standard of British Speedway facilities, there's no discussing the matter with you. (No offence meant to BV as I realise they are shackled by their landlords)

It has nothing to do with facilities or there improvements, simply a case of clubs like KL choosing the cheaper option of the Premier league, and then being rewarded with hosting a Blue Ribband competition.

All major events and televised matches should be hosted by Elite clubs and if PL sides like KL don't like it they should do the decent and much needed thing for British speedway and step up.

Oh and Rob Lyon gets the job of Team GB manager, does a shocking job, and the following year Kings Lynn get a World Cup round ! coincidence or what ?

Shame no Denmark, but should be a cracking meeting IMO.

Does this mean that Kings Lynn will have to get an air fence or is this not required for the Speedway World Cup? I seem to remember that they lost the Elite League Riders Championship because they would not fit an air fence.

All major events and televised matches should be hosted by Elite clubs and if PL sides like KL don't like it they should do the decent and much needed thing for British speedway and step up.

Why exactly? Because you say so? Are you saying all major event should be held on rubbish tracks simply because they are EL tracks? That, if I may say so, is a very shallow argument and smacks of snobbishness and elitism (pardon the pun).

Would you rather a track move up to EL, with all the extra costs that entails, go bust cos there is not a large enough fan base in it's catchment area and the sport lose an excellent venue?

Sorry you haven't convinced me :rolleyes:

Dear me. We'll be going from a top class spanking new stadium in Gorzow to the dump that is the NA. You couldn't make it up. Yes the Chipmunks have given it a lick of paint in the last couple of years, but its still not good. How they can be given a meeting of this standing with the facilities on offer is a joke. Is the backstraight still condemned? Couple of crappy stands on the home straight and a few sheds on bend four plus some raised terracing on bends 1/2. Forget watching elsewhere as you will be looking at a fence all night. Will they clean the royal box seats for this meeting as last season there was dirt and crap all over them?

Chipmunks must surely have to bring in temp stands, but even so why do they deserve a meeting of this stature. Nothing wrong with the track as long as the Chipmunks don't f*ck it up like they have on a few occasions, but for a club owning the stadium and offering the facilities they will then its poor. Young Jonny looks to have got his feet firmly under the table at the BSPA. SWC meeting and the fours at the NA next season. Nice work if you can get it Jonny.

Sort of sums the sport up in this country and why its not taken seriously when you go to holes like these places for supposed big meetings.

I like the sound of that,Kings Lynn is a great race track

But a sub-standard stadium and facilities for an event of this size..... :rolleyes:

:mad:

After such a successful event at Peterborough last year, I felt sure they would hold it there again this year, and cannot understand why it isn't ! Kings b****y Lynn of all places......grrr ! Watching speedwway crammed into a grandstand only fit for Ronnie Corbett, or through a birdcage....? No thanks. I'll be watching on the telly this time....grrrrrr ! Even Coventry would have been better - at least it has a more central location going for it...... :mad:

and the facilities are getting better and better

Ooooh.....really? Have they stretched as far as getting some soap in the toilets yet I wonder....? :rolleyes::P

I'm loving all this bitterness, Keep it coming folks, keep it coming :approve::lol: