British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Crewe Speedway Snub

Courtesy of Crewe TV Blogspot :

"The blog has received news from Mark Potts, one of the authors of When They Were Kings - The Crewe Speedway Story about their plans to create a lasting memory of the speedway team that entertained the town between 1969 and 1975. Mark and others have been in talks with Savills (the company that manages the Grand Junction Retail Park off Earle Street) about the erection of a small plaque on the Allied Carpets building which is built on the pits bend of the old Earle Street stadium. The idea is that the constructor of the track, Colin Tucker, would fly over from New Zealand to unveil the plaque in September later this year. But guess what? The hierarchy at Savills have refused the application and, according to Mark, they have stated that they "don't want their building messed around with." As you can imagine, the lads are not happy and won't be leaving it there! They are already looking at an alternative"

"The blog has received news from Mark Potts, one of the authors of When They Were Kings - The Crewe Speedway Story about their plans to create a lasting memory of the speedway team that entertained the town between 1969 and 1975. Mark and others have been in talks with Savills (the company that manages the Grand Junction Retail Park off Earle Street) about the erection of a small plaque on the Allied Carpets building which is built on the pits bend of the old Earle Street stadium. The idea is that the constructor of the track, Colin Tucker, would fly over from New Zealand to unveil the plaque in September later this year. But guess what? The hierarchy at Savills have refused the application and, according to Mark, they have stated that they "don't want their building messed around with." As you can imagine, the lads are not happy and won't be leaving it there! They are already looking at an alternative"

Good luck "Kings", hope you are successfull

"The Mackem"

Edited by scarletrider

This is shocking - This could have been a GREAT opportunity for Allied Carpets/Savills (not be buying any carpets from them in the future) to get some publicity along with the Speedway. What harm can there be in wanting a small Memorial of times past.

Very best of luck 'Kings' Supporters - hope you are successful in your endeavours. :approve:

It's the kind of mean spirited behaviour that makes me despair,what harm would a small plaque do?Good luck to your continuing efforts to commemorate that special place.

It's the kind of mean spirited behaviour that makes me despair,what harm would a small plaque do?Good luck to your continuing efforts to commemorate that special place.

As you say so mean-spirited it almost defies belief... What on earth goes through the minds of people like this. :angry:

Even taking for granted that the person who made this decision has no sense of the importance of local history or community, you might've thought his/her business acumen would tell them, "hmm, this plaque is bound to attract people to come and see it, some might decide to come into the store...". They could even have done a Speedway-related theme to their carpet sales!

What's especially galling about this is the number of trading/industrial parks around the UK built on the sites of former stadiums which call themselves Stadium Park or the like. Adding insult to (considerable...) injury.. :mad:

I hope all Speedway fans nationally boycott Allied's grotty, over-priced, poor quality and badly fitted carpets from now on...

If this is true, its an insult to all who supported Crewe when they ran.

I urge all those speedway fans who remember Crewe Kings and thier team to email Allied immediatley with comments.

Im sick and tired with those who think they are bigger than the common man, those who steal from the common man and those basically who care not for no one but themselves, AGAIN time to stand up I think !

A few years ago a plague was put up in the shopping centre that was built on Rayleigh Speedway. I understand that the plaque has now been removed.

Perhaps the shopping centre managements don't want to be reminded that their estate killed-off somewhere that a lot of people enjoyed?

Either way they've handled the situation appallingly but what do you expect from big business?

Rob McCaffery.

A few years ago a plague was put up in the shopping centre that was built on Rayleigh Speedway. I understand that the plaque has now been removed.

Perhaps the shopping centre managements don't want to be reminded that their estate killed-off somewhere that a lot of people enjoyed?

Either way they've handled the situation appallingly but what do you expect from big business?

Rob McCaffery.

I'm not surprised they got the hump, BOGOF is one thing, but when the 'get one free' is an underarm bubo and impending death, that's something else again.........................

Sorry Rob, I couldn't resist :wink::lol:

Edited by DK Rides Again

I'm not surprised they got the hump, BOGOF is one thing, but when the 'get one free' is an underarm bubo and impending death, that's something else again.........................

Sorry Rob, I couldn't resist :wink::lol:

My only defence was the lateness of the hour - and perhaps it was a subconscious desire to wish a plaque on these shopping centres, er plague? :wink:

Rob McCaffery

Sadly,the mementoes of speedway that were put up at the remembering Harringay day around 10 years ago have also gone missing.About a year ago when in the Sainsbury's that now stands on the Green Lanes site I asked where they were and was told in a completely couldn't care less answer;Oh,they must have been removed when the store had a refit. Thanks for your concern Mr.Sainsbury.

Simple answer, go out under cover of darkness with some spray paints and spray the Kings logo all over the side of Allied Carpets, it what the little street chavs do and they get away with it scott free, so why can't anyone else :lol: In honesty though, good luck to the Kings fans on getting your plaque, a small token which will obviously mean a lot to so many, some people make no sense in not allowing something like this.

Edited by RocketBen1

To be fair, its not Allied Carpets that have stopped us putting the plaque up but Savills, who own the buildings. The current Allied Carpet shop on the old pits bend is currently empty!!! We are now planning a plaque to be erected on the Kings Arms public house at the top of Rainbow Street where officials, supporters and riders of the Kings would mingle after a match. After all, it is highly likely (never proved) that the Kings name was derived from this very watering hole. The current landlord is very keen for this to go ahead and was an old Crewe speedway supporter - so good for him. Thanks for all your positive comments, Mark Potts (co-author of WHEN THEY WERE KINGS)

I'm very glad to hear that the Kings Arms are keen to help.

The housing which occupies the Norwich Firs Stadium area has some roads named after riders I understand.

When the only option on a warm summer evening is to visit a supermarket, a housing estate a carpet warehouse or join the teenage population binge drinking in a Club the planners in this country will realise the mistakes that they have made.

I must say that the book of which Mr Potts was a co-Author is one of the very best ever produced about a Speedway Club and very reasonably priced too.

Malcolm Vasey

I'm very glad to hear that the Kings Arms are keen to help.

The housing which occupies the Norwich Firs Stadium area has some roads named after riders I understand.

When the only option on a warm summer evening is to visit a supermarket, a housing estate a carpet warehouse or join the teenage population binge drinking in a Club the planners in this country will realise the mistakes that they have made.

I must say that the book of which Mr Potts was a co-Author is one of the very best ever produced about a Speedway Club and very reasonably priced too.

Malcolm Vasey

I totally agree about the Book Malcolm - it is an EXCELLENT buy. :approve::approve:

I agree too about the 'Kings Arms' they should be applauded. At least THEY have some sense of History. :approve::approve:

Used to love watching 'Crumpie', John Jackson, Gary Flood and Dai Evans at Sunderland. Happy Memories!!!

Despicable and narrow minded atitude!

Don't they see that if they were in favour of suc a move they would look better in the eyes of the local community and therefore more people will use the store?