British Speedway Forum
Dexter

Grand Prix In Australia And New Zealand?

Just a few days ago I saw an interview with someone from BSI or FIM mentioning that 2011 could possibly start with March GP meetings in Australia and New Zealand. Actually, similar stories are heared all around every year or two but I was wondering if you see any chance of getting that pushed through. If so - where would that be held? Sydney? Melbourne? Wellington? Somewhere else?

Just a few days ago I saw an interview with someone from BSI or FIM mentioning that 2011 could possibly start with March GP meetings in Australia and New Zealand. Actually, similar stories are heared all around every year or two but I was wondering if you see any chance of getting that pushed through. If so - where would that be held? Sydney? Melbourne? Wellington? Somewhere else?

wheels are turning

wheels are turning

Wasn't the last Australina-staged GP a financial disaster?

I hear they looked at Newcastle Showgrounds, but surely the current track would be too big?

it will never happen. cannot get the crowds in oz. sky will make sure of that.because they did not get the crowds in sydney. being sky has a lot of say in these gps. :approve:

Sorry I don't agree the last Grand Prix in Australia was fairly well attended it was just in the wrong location.

I think the cost of hire and clean up afterwards crippled the local promoter.

A more humble abode is required but Australia deserves a GP. New Zealand not so sure but it makes logistical sense.

I don't think Sky would worry one little bit about taking a feed from the other side of the world.

Edited by Fingersfin

it will never happen. cannot get the crowds in oz. sky will make sure of that.because they did not get the crowds in sydney. being sky has a lot of say in these gps. :approve:

Both NZ and Oz are too keen on cars - especially sprint cars and midgets - when it comes to speedway. Other forms of car racing dominate the NZ track scene. About 30 tracks there - not one really interested in solo bikes (apart from Rosebank).

If they cannot make profits on Grand Prix's held in Europe they certainly won't be going to Australia or New Zealand or anywhere else out of Europe.

The only way the GP's will be more successful if if they hold them all in Poland.

well I would start saving your pennies and keep some of your annual leave free.

It will come, no doubt about it. I would suggest they should do more than just one GP Down Under. When Poland can have three GPS in a season, so can Australasia.

Maybe one up in the North (Brisbane), one in the South (Melbourne) and one in New Zealand (Auckland) in February/March.

Western Springs in Auckland are interested. Great venue for a Grand Prix.

Just looked at a picture of that. Beautiful place for motorsport.

Just looked at a picture of that. Beautiful place for motorsport.

Isn't Western Springs under some threat because of noise. Or has that been sorted out?

Isn't Western Springs under some threat because of noise. Or has that been sorted out?

Restricted to 12 events a year.