British Speedway Forum
RobMcCaffery

Jimmy Gooch

I was in Essex over the weekend on family business and to my surprise found a story about former Hackney Hawk Jimmy Gooch in the Maldon Standard. Unfortunately there's no on-line version so I can't give a link but here's the gist of the story:

"Daredevil Goochie 'appreciates life' " (by Adam Cornell)

" A former speedway star is still racing around, jumping from planes and helping his community - despite turning 82 this year. Jimmy "Goochie" Gooch cycles 20 miles a day from his home in Bradwell to get supplies for all his elderly neighbours and to keep himself "upright" - having been told more than 30 years ago he would never walk again. Last year he completed a charity parachute jump to raise money for the Essex Air Ambulance - with another now planned for this year..."

It's obviously a 'local human interest' piece rather than news but it goes on to mention that Jimmy's life included 'the Army, circus, international speedway, foster children, microlights, scuba diving, paragliding, boat building and a host of other adventures'.

He goes on to pay tribute to his wife of 50 years, Everil and the piece then tells how he joined the Royal Army Service Corps and became the British Army of the Rhine Combined Services speedway champion in 1949 before going on to sign for Wembley Lions 60 years ago before eventually reaching the World Speedway final in 1965. The piece also claims that he was once temporarily sacked for knocking out team mate Ove Fundin.

Since retiring from Hackney in 1970, just before reaching 42 he began work as a maintenance engineer at a local caravan park where he built a landing strip for a microlight.

In 1973 he reportedly broke both ankles in a paragliding accident and was told he would never walk again but recovered to cycle more than 200,000 miles since. He's also built a 47 foot yacht that he sails on the River Blackwater and uses for diving expeditions.

Well, it's good to hear one of our former heroes having a full life after the sport. I hope this was of interest.

Rob McCaffery.

Thanks for that, Rob. It's certainly good to know Jimmy is still living life to the full.

When I started going to speedway in 1960 at New Cross, Jimmy became my first hero.

Good to hear he`s still going,I vaguely remember him riding for the Wasps when I was a lot younger than I am now.

I remember Jimmy making his debut in the sport at Wembley. He wrote a weekly column entitled Diary of a Novice in the Speedway Gazette (I think it was the Gazette)

I remember Jimmy making his debut in the sport at Wembley. He wrote a weekly column entitled Diary of a Novice in the Speedway Gazette (I think it was the Gazette)

There was an extensive article on Jimmy Gooch in a recent edition of 'Classic Speedway.' I am sure back numbers are available for those interested. Just click on the advert top right of this page to contact them.

There was an extensive article on Jimmy Gooch in a recent edition of 'Classic Speedway.' I am sure back numbers are available for those interested. Just click on the advert top right of this page to contact them.

Spot on, Speedguy.

Yes, I had the pleasure of interviewing Jimmy at his home just under a year ago, when he talked about virtually everything (and more) Rob mentioned in his first post. Good to see that the local press have recognised Jimmy's many talents, too, but it again goes to show just what so many on this forum are missing by not subscribing to or buying Classic Speedway magazine!

Jimmy sent us a video recording of his charity parachute jump last September - remarkable stuff from an amazing man. We ran an appeal for our readers to support his charity leap but, sadly, very few bothered to respond.

His humble reaction to our feature on him was very touching.

Top man, Jimmy.

Having read the piece in my 'Classic Speedway' and now this, it just goes to show what Characters some of these Speedway Riders (ex or present) are. What with Jimmy here and 'Briggo's' Ride - these 'Old Timers' are putting some of us younger folks to shame. More strength to their collective elbows - they are a great example of showing that you can do lot's of things despite being an elder statesman. :approve::approve::approve:

Great post -thanks Rob-I recall Jim as one of the heat leaders of the great Oxford team of 1964- I well remember him coming to race at Newport in 1965 and he and Ron How were unstoppable.Great when he joined the Wasps in, I think, 1967-a great favourite at Somerton Park. The story about him and Ove is true. A tough but fair guy and very personable.I also recall well his only World Final in 1965-I was there-it was the year Bjorn Knuttson won it-the only time he did as it happens.

It's interesting to see that I wasn't the only one to see this piece - a letter in this week's Speedway Star refers and shows a clip of the article including picture.

Rob McCaffery

i remember seeing jimmy ride for hackney during my first proper season of going to speedway in 1970. what i mean by proper is going to tracks other than my home circuit at plough lane. :approve: