British Speedway Forum
REBELS77

Once Your Team Has Closed Down

I have never understood why Arena Essex did not Capitalise on their position as the only Elite Track near London, there were many Hackney and Wimbledon supporters they could have captured! There is a station (Chafford Hundred) nearby, if the pits gate turnstiles are open it is a 15 minute walk, if not (as usual) then it is a 30-45 min. walk. They could have run a bus service from the station.
Didn't they used to run a bus from Upminster Station?

Didn't they used to run a bus from Upminster Station?

the bus service was too unreliable. in the end very few people used it. :angry:

When Oxford Cowley closed it took me a while before i started wondering off each week to find my fix of speedway.

I now go to Cardiff each year and when i have the spare cash i go up to Coventry, So far 6 times this year and 3 trips to Wolves.

This month i will go to Coventry on the 08/08/2014 and then to Swindon on the 28/08/2014.

A few Reading fans go to Swindon especially when Zagar rode. With no love lost between Oxford-Swindon couldn't imagine any Ox fans cheering for Swindon!

When New Cross closed in 63 we went to Ackney West Am and Wimbledon, all more or less the same distance from Peckham, but followed the Dons more as they were the only club south of the river.

If Swindon closed would only go to Cardiff. Nearest tracks would be Cov and Poole, about 70 miles away!

Edited by keef van cross

Strangely enough Keef, the only person I know who is willing to 'go to the speedway' these days was initially a Reading fan, then an Oxford fan and now lives in one of the surrounding Swindon villages and supports the Robins..

Can't be the same though can it..

Strangely enough Keef, the only person I know who is willing to 'go to the speedway' these days was initially a Reading fan, then an Oxford fan and now lives in one of the surrounding Swindon villages and supports the Robins..

Can't be the same though can it..

I am sure he supported Newport and Bristol as well , both had Crumpy!! god how could you be a supporter at Cowley what a s...hole.

Used to support the Cheetahs as I was growing up.. was handy only living a 10 minute walk from Cowley Stadium. Stuck by after the demise of the Elite League side and the (albeit short) rebranded Conference League side which lasted a season.. but things were never really right there for a few years. A massive loss to the sport, some great memories there as a kid.

Now live in Bedfordshire and go and see Rye House whenever I can, but it isn't the same.. particularly in their current form, feels as though it's Oxford all over again haha!

Would be good to see Milton Keynes back in a new home over here though...

I am sure he supported Newport and Bristol as well , both had Crumpy!! god how could you be a supporter at Cowley what a s...hole.

Is The Shabbey any better...hope they get that new stadium next year. Shows the demise of this once great sport when they used to average 4-5000 in the 60s/70s/early 80s with the likes of Reading, Oxford, Bristol, Newport nearby, and now struggle to get 1500!

As an old West Ham follower I was devastated after Lokeren and not long after, the closure of Custom House. I could not bring myself to support Hackney so I limited myself to big meetings, Tests, World Championships etc. until 1985. Until the British GP this year I had not attended a meeting in 30 years but had West Ham never closed, I'm sure I would have remained an avid follower. I know technically Lakeside/Arena Essex are the Hammers, but after Custom House and McKinlay, Harrfeldt, Hunter, Simmons, Knutsson et al (yes i know, not all at the same time), Purfleet did not appeal.

During the 60's/70's I attended meetings at West Ham, Hackney, Wimbledon, White City, Harringay and Wembley...now all gone. A couple of days ago a poster said we are a minority sport amongst minority sports. When I think of how many teams London once boasted I have to agree.

• Like 2

I am still lost in the wilderness and find it virtually impossible to attend matches these days :sad:

Not a track within about an hour away and with racing on a week night, there is no chance of getting anywhere.

I still hope this MK thing will get off the ground but I still think there is next to no chance of it happening :cry:

Coventry Bees my team - they are not gone yet - but the candle is burning very low. So Sad. I doubt I could give wholehearted allegience to another team as we go back a looooong way. 50 years.

Hi to all fans of defunct tracks. My website may just help you with your speedway withdrawal symptoms have a look at www.defunctspeedway.co.uk I think you will like the website your team will be covered in my A-Z

Edited by dantodan
  • Like 1

I must admit to being a speedway nut, started in 1973 at coventry went a couple of times and then went to Ladbrookes stadium to watch birmingham in 1974 and that was it hooked. Very depressed in 1983 when they closed down, but at least we had the Wheels to go to and a team to watch, not the great stadium we had at Perry barr but we had a team and then the news came that we wouldent run in 1986.

This was the days of saturday night speedway and used to alternate between Coventry and Cradley and saw some great meetings, Cradley was a dump with one of the best tracks and saw some fantastic meeting there. Slowly started to lose a bit of interest, lots of rumours of the Brummies coming back but it didnt happen.

Had a couple of seasons where I just went to all the big meeting and the world final, no matter where it was, but slowly started to get interested again, not supporting anybody but always gave a former Brummies rider a wave and cheer if they were riding where we went, couldent support anybody esle it just didnt seem right some how, Shaun Mcconnell was the last Brummie rider and we used to go to Brighton just to cheer him on, good days.

I do feel losing your team gives you a better idea of the riders and some of the decisons in the meeting as you look at it from a different view, while the supporters around are shouting its not fair you stand there thinking that was the right call from the ref.

Then we had the great news it was it was coming back in 2007, never thought it would happen but it did had some good seasons until the middle of 2014 and we closed again, but hopefully it will come back if the rumors are true(come on Tony).

Watched the closing of too many tracks over the years some great stadiums with good tracks but never give up hope, one day you might walk through a gate and realise the track in front of you is yours and your back supporting the team you love.

• Like 2

I must admit to being a speedway nut, started in 1973 at coventry went a couple of times and then went to Ladbrookes stadium to watch birmingham in 1974 and that was it hooked. Very depressed in 1983 when they closed down, but at least we had the Wheels to go to and a team to watch, not the great stadium we had at Perry barr but we had a team and then the news came that we wouldent run in 1986.

This was the days of saturday night speedway and used to alternate between Coventry and Cradley and saw some great meetings, Cradley was a dump with one of the best tracks and saw some fantastic meeting there. Slowly started to lose a bit of interest, lots of rumours of the Brummies coming back but it didnt happen.

Had a couple of seasons where I just went to all the big meeting and the world final, no matter where it was, but slowly started to get interested again, not supporting anybody but always gave a former Brummies rider a wave and cheer if they were riding where we went, couldent support anybody esle it just didnt seem right some how, Shaun Mcconnell was the last Brummie rider and we used to go to Brighton just to cheer him on, good days.

I do feel losing your team gives you a better idea of the riders and some of the decisons in the meeting as you look at it from a different view, while the supporters around are shouting its not fair you stand there thinking that was the right call from the ref.

Then we had the great news it was it was coming back in 2007, never thought it would happen but it did had some good seasons until the middle of 2014 and we closed again, but hopefully it will come back if the rumors are true(come on Tony).

Watched the closing of too many tracks over the years some great stadiums with good tracks but never give up hope, one day you might walk through a gate and realise the track in front of you is yours and your back supporting the team you love.

Well said. :t:

I'm still waiting for Sunderland FORTY years on. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Have never supported another team since my beloved Exeter closed

I only watched speedway on tv and the odd visit to Cardiff, until last season, I went to Lakeside and Kent

Obviously a better standard of rider at Lakeside, but Kent does have a family feel to it, and my kids like to cheer for a side, so why not the home side

Not many former Exeter riders still riding, Mark Lemon's still about maybe one or two others

I do however love the sport of speedway,i really hope Kent don't go the same way Exeter did