British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Liverpool Chads

As an old codger of 77 years I remember Chad as an integral part of my childhood.

He was a very popular cartoon type character consisting of a hairless male head complete with a large nose and a pair of hands peering over a brick wall and commenting on the extreme shortage of essentials to daily life such as cigarettes, beer, and chocolate etc. The caption read 'Wot no beer!' (or other greatly missed essential of daily life.]

Chad appeared officially in newspapers and unofficially in places where we schoolkids could reproduce him with the aid of a piece of chalk provided (unofficially!) by 'Teacher'.

Mr Chad did much to relieve the dark days of World War Two for a multitude of people. You could say he was something of a national pin-up.

Perhaps the use of this character on the Liverpool team colours was linked to the fact that the town docks were the once busy port through which such delights of life no longer flowed.

Edited by Ron Butler

It's probably got it's roots in a choice of Romani words, 'chavi' meaning child, 'chavo' meaning boy and 'chavvy' meaning youth.

Apparently, there's a Geordie slang term, 'charva' meaning a rough child and it's likely that is where it enters our language, but nobody knows for certain.

The first group of people I heard it refer to, were the youth of the Medway towns, mainly Chatham (they were also refered to by some less than complimentary terms involving Gypsies, so there's that Romani influence again); I lived and worked near that area from the late 90s and it was in fairly common usage then, by the mid 2000s it was everywhere.

I also love the way English evolves, although I'm not too impressed with the introduction of text speak into written word, that's not evolution, just laziness.

Hope that helps M8 :wink:

You are correct. A 'charva' in the provence of Geordieland is usually female, used to be adorned in everything Burberry but now predominently in anything pink, large earings and excess jewellery, hair drawn back severely back off the face into a ponytail, never worked, chews all the time, swears like it's normal, smokes heavy and likes a drink and is always on the mobile. :angry:

BTW the bairn that she is pushing is also dressed like her and is in the best pushchair that the benefits office can provide. Thinks Tories are a waste of space. :shock:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Tsunami

.......hair drawn back severely back off the face into a ponytail.....

Known in some parts down south as a "Croydon facelift".

Rob McCaffery.

Known in some parts down south as a "Croydon facelift".

Rob McCaffery.

Yes, I forgot there is nearly always a heavily arched fringe over the forehead to add more style. :shock: The pigtail is held in place with very colourful 'scrunchies' (elasticated rings with cloth around them). :approve:

Had to laugh at Croydon Facelift-think I'll get one myself- a Canadian word that I think is unique to us is "chesterfield" meaning sofa or settee(latter of Indian origin)-so a Canadian chav might say"I m going to watch telly , have a beer and crisps and lie on the chesterfield"!!!!

You are correct. A 'charva' in the provence of Geordieland is usually female, used to be adorned in everything Burbery but now predominently in anything pink, large earings and excess jewellery, hair drawn back severely back off the face into a ponytail, never worked, chews all the time, swears like it's normal, smokes heavy and likes a drink and is always on the mobile. :angry:

BTW the bairn that she is pushing is also dressed like her and is in the best pushchair that the benefits office can provide. Thinks Tories are a waste of space.

Dead right Tsunami - AND - the bairns usually have a Greggs Pasty stuck in their gobs to keep them quiet. Not very successfully I might add. :angry::rolleyes:

Just watch out for their little greasy hands that's all. :shock::angry:

You are correct. A 'charva' in the provence of Geordieland is usually female, used to be adorned in everything Burberry but now predominently in anything pink, large earings and excess jewellery, hair drawn back severely back off the face into a ponytail, never worked, chews all the time, swears like it's normal, smokes heavy and likes a drink and is always on the mobile. :angry:

BTW the bairn that she is pushing is also dressed like her and is in the best pushchair that the benefits office can provide. Thinks Tories are a waste of space. :shock:

I'm glad you can confirm that the word exists, but the implication is that it was around long before the person you describe.

So is there an ancient charva?

Had to laugh at Croydon Facelift-think I'll get one myself- a Canadian word that I think is unique to us is "chesterfield" meaning sofa or settee(latter of Indian origin)-so a Canadian chav might say"I m going to watch telly , have a beer and crisps and lie on the chesterfield"!!!!

Not unique at all, but an interesting change of use; here, a Chesterfield is a very specific type of sofa, deeply buttoned leather with a roll top.

Thanks DK rides again-enjoyed these interesting posts-will buy you a Tim's double double for about a loonie next time you're in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity, where was the Liverpool stadium? Was it in the city or on the outskirts and does anyone know what lead to its demise?

Stanley Stadium was not far from the end of the M62 motorway, pretty close to the city Centre.

The last speedway meeting was in 1960 (they were then known as the Pirates), but greyhounds ran until the end of 1961.

The stadium no longer exists and is now the site of a fruit and veg market.

No reason was given for closure, but eight points from eighteen meetings in their final season tells it's own story.

Taken from Homes of British Speedway

Thanks DK rides again-enjoyed these interesting posts-will buy you a Tim's double double for about a loonie next time you're in Canada!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a very kind offer Bob, but how did you know I like my coffee with extra cream and sugar? :blink:

Well done DK-btw you can get Tim Horton's coffee and donut products from certain Spar stores in UK-drink enough of it and you'll be walking around in t-shirts and shorts during the winters just like us Canucks!!!!!!!!

Except over here, they're probably more like a toonie than a loonie, they definitely know how to charge for a coffee in dear old Blighty!

Is there any known footage of Liverpool Speedway thats come to light? Would love to see some!!