British Speedway Forum

That isn't fair though, because the teams in the group of 4 have to ride in 3 races to qualify for the Semi Finals and then the teams in the Group of 3 only have to ride 2 races - How's that fair?

In the 1988 British Open, there was two groups of four and one of three. The team from the group of three (Oxford) won the competition. So that blows your theory out of the water, sunshine. :wink::lol:

But how about this one then? 14 teams each (not grouped together) get 3 rides each - 21 races. Top four through to the semis. Total = 24 races.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

In the 1988 British Open, there was two groups of four and one of three. The team from the group of three (Oxford) won the competition. So that blows your theory out of the water, sunshine. :wink::lol:

No it doesn't at all - as it still gives a team a chance of qualifying and winning the event by taking 4 rides.

The more rides a team takes to win it over, shows they are more worthy of winning as it shows they are better over a larger scale.

But how about this one then? 14 teams each (not grouped together) get 3 rides each - 21 races. Top four through to the semis. Total = 24 races.

No - because then one team might face the top three sides and another team could face the three worst sides.

There is currently no perfect solution, but the one that is in use at present is IMO the 'best fit' and closest to perfect solution you will get.

I normally agree with what you say and I do so again today. Question is could the meeting be run with all 14 teams? Seems to me that you may have more supporters there to watch with 14 teams supporters instead of 10. I enjoy this type of comp but loses a little when my team isn't in. Straight to Cardiff for me....if Stoke had been in....then a few hours on the beach.

It was run with more Teams than that in the National League in the 70's/80's, all teams were represented .I attended one at Halifax big crowd,plenty profit for Speedway,an opportunity missed IMO.

How is that a farce? Every team had a chance to qualify, and 10 teams did. The other 4 who failed to qualify only have themselves to blame as everyone started on a level playing field.

:rolleyes: Typical from you.

:rolleyes: Typical from you.

Go on, please expand?

Or are you another of those who when someone disagrees with you, instead of debating an idea you just choose to come out with a comment like that?

Go on, please expand?

Or are you another of those who when someone disagrees with you, instead of debating an idea you just choose to come out with a comment like that?

I was not complaining on who qualified or not . I was just pointing out the chance for BSPA to run a full event and maybe make a decent profit given the timing and location of the event :rolleyes:

Edited by Fromafar

I was not complaining on who qualified or not . I was just pointing out the chance for BSPA to run a full event and maybe make a decent profit given the timing and location of the event :rolleyes:

Read the posts after, it isn't possible when using a decent format.

No - because then one team might face the top three sides and another team could face the three worst sides.

And how's that any different from this year, when one group is noticeably stronger than the other?

There are ways are fitting 14 teams in Best Pairs, with a format that is (reasonably) fair to all.

You use the format I have already stated (14 teams, no groups, 3 rides each) and then seed it depending on qualifying average, so that each team gets one ride against a top team, one against a middle team and one against a bottom team.

All the best

Rob

And how's that any different from this year, when one group is noticeably stronger than the other?

Because there are more teams in a group, meaning there is a chance of it evening out and if you make a cock up in your opening ride, there is still a chance to correct that after.

I have already said the current system isn't perfect, but it is IMO the best system on offer.

Bearing in mind Somerset have a curfuw I believe and i'm not 100% sure if they have any restrictions on when they start a meeting, I'm sure Najjer could help me out here. I assume that if there is a curfuw in place that is a 10pm cut off time in place.

It would be a big push but in future, why not start at 7pm, with the parade at say 6.45, fans go to speedway to watch speedway, not a pointless presentation beforehand imo. All 14 teams are involved with two groups of seven. The usual race each other once scenario is played out, however the team who tops group A will face the winners of group B in a single final race, no pointless semi-finals, if you don't win your group after your 6 heats thats it. This would mean 31 heats in 3 hours, 9 more than at present. This would mean heats would be run fast and furious, with just under 6 minutes to run each heat. All dependant on the Somerset curfuw of course.

As Najjer says, there is no perfect way to run the meeting at present which is a shame.

Read the posts after, it isn't possible when using a decent format.

In your opinion as always!! :rolleyes:

In your opinion as always!! :rolleyes:

Don't be silly. It's in accordance to rule 1099.34.000011.2 don't ya know :lol:

Bearing in mind Somerset have a curfuw I believe and i'm not 100% sure if they have any restrictions on when they start a meeting, I'm sure Najjer could help me out here. I assume that if there is a curfuw in place that is a 10pm cut off time in place.

It would be a big push but in future, why not start at 7pm, with the parade at say 6.45, fans go to speedway to watch speedway, not a pointless presentation beforehand imo. All 14 teams are involved with two groups of seven. The usual race each other once scenario is played out, however the team who tops group A will face the winners of group B in a single final race, no pointless semi-finals, if you don't win your group after your 6 heats thats it. This would mean 31 heats in 3 hours, 9 more than at present. This would mean heats would be run fast and furious, with just under 6 minutes to run each heat. All dependant on the Somerset curfuw of course.

As Najjer says, there is no perfect way to run the meeting at present which is a shame.

RocketBen, two groups of seven with each pair in six qualifying riders would be two groups of 21 heats, plus a final, a total of 43 races. That's too many.

You ideally want a maximum of somewhere around 25 races.

All the best

Rob

Don't be silly. It's in accordance to rule 1099.34.000011.2 don't ya know :lol:

:D:D sorry I forgot to look.

Edited by Fromafar

If Najjer says it must be true which is a shame :D:wink: