British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

Upcoming Aussie Season Dates

How on earth can Summers be a reserve behind Bugeja and Newman etc?...Aussie speedway need to get there house in gear as it appears to be a face fits first scenario at the moment

As has been previously noted Aaron didn't nominate for the series, preferring to pick up some work to help finance his upcoming European Season. I don't know how you can make that "face fits first scenario" comment about that.

Another grand night's speedway at Gillman saw Chris Holder recover from a bone-crunching shunt into the fence from Kozza Smith to post an all-the-way win in OzChamps round two. Once again Australia's premier track delivered loads of exciting racing along with a few thrills & spills; plenty of dicing between Messrs Ward, Schlein. Watt. Holder, Woodward; Gathercole and Doyle, who have established themselves as the top riders in the tournament so far.

Taylor Poole had a nasty off and although not too badly damaged was withdrawn from the meeting as a precaution, gifting us the cameo of Spud Summers with a win and a second from first reserve, while Robert Medson took the other reserve ride on offer scoring one point. Taylor was stiff and sore this morning but father Mick reckons he'll be OK for the next round at Broken Hill on Austraya Day.

Jason Doyle had a not so lucky evening, collecting the fence twice in almost the same spot coming out of turn 4 after scoring 6 from his first three: he seemed to pick up massive extra drive and went headlong into the fence. Nothing wrong with the track, but Gillman's 4th turn has claimed a few riders in the past and I can't see that changing in a hurry. He was taken to hospital as a precaution although everything seemed to be working OK when he was in the ambulance, but better safe than sorry, eh? Scuttlebutt is that he has a separated shoulder but is hopeful of riding at the Hill. Get Well Real Soon Mate!

Darcy continued his one-man war against machinery by Chernobling a couple more donks: I think that's SIX he's up to at the mo. Despite his impressive if destructive track record Sedgy ended up lending him a bike for the final but I think he might soon be running out of mates with spare motors. Once again the Dual World Under 21 Champ did it hard on his way through to the final, having to work flat out to get through a ripper B Main to qualify for the A Final. He and Rory swapped the lead on several occasions over the first two laps before the Queenslander pulled away from the Territorian, wih Ty pipping Cory for third. Cory couldn't continue his good form from the first round but both he,Ty and Rory are all there or thereabouts and keeping everyone honest - there are very few easy heats in this comp so far.

Chris and Davey continued their strong form while Cam turned his on its head with a dominant performance during the heats and 4th in the final, which was a very hard-fought affair with no beg pardons; Darcy blasting his way past Davey and chasing Chris all the way to the chequered flag.

Sweets, Sedgy and Sam were all good value again and you sense they're on the verge of something big in the not-too distant future; Kozza was up and down (and across and almost into the fence; luckily for him Chris was outside him on the backstraight or HE'd have ended up in the fence for sure!) Chris was limping (and grumbling!) in the pits afterwards but he was OK at Sidewinders this evening for the Australian Under 16s Pairs Championship (won by NSW with li'l bro Jack unbeaten for the evening - report to follow) and showed no harmfull effects of what was a rather scary-lookin off.

Kyle Newman looked a bit unsettled but I reckon he can be forgiven, having just completed a marathon drive from North Queensland complete with a few diversions to avoid the Flooding; driving 3000-odd Kilometers AND having to put up with Gavin Elmes' Parade of Puns would take it out of anyone I reckon. Well Done to Gavin and Steve Koppe for getting him here, and big wraps to Gav for making sure he's got the right helmet cover on. Worrying to hear that there's an undercurrent against Kyle taking part, but with Barnie breaking his arm there was no other replacement available who was willing to undertake the travel involved, not to mention the expense. I've always been of the opinion that it's the More The Merrier as far as our little comp. goes; certainly we've benefited from having guests of the calibre of Scotty Nicholls and Freddie Lindgren gracing the field. Arlo & Mitch are still the strongest riders in the field, having to hold the rest of the Riders' Table up - neither of them are quitters but alas they are outclassed.

A few rivalries are starting to grow in the comp but at the end of the day it's all mates again; another magnificent advert for Australian Speedway.

See you at Broken Hill - where worryingly Lunchy will not be available to do the Updates and the onerous duties could fall on a hastily-assembled Coalition of the Bewildered as Spiderweb, Scotland 1314 and my good self attempt to balance the pursuit of happiness and inebriation with actually doing something useful for a change - I'll have another stubby and think about it. Make that two.

Edited by BigFatDave

Results of the Under 16s pairs;

NSW 23 1st Ben Cook 5 Jack Holder 18, after a run-off.

Vic 23 2nd Jack Fallon 9 Max Fricke 14

Wa 22 3rd Cameron Heeps 16 Blake Russell 6

SA 1 4th Arthur Sissis 17 Seth Hickey 2

QLD 1 =5th 14 Brandy Coglan 2 retired Zaine Kennedy 12

QLD 2 =5th 14 Matty Day 6 Tyson Snow 8

SA 2 7th 11 Jake Mitchell 7 Dakota Ballantyne 4

Young Brandy Coglan (I think he's 10 or 11) suffered a suspected broken arm and was taken to hospital, leaving Zaine to battle on strongly as a one-man-band. QUEENSLANDER! Get Well Real Soon Brandy!

Shame Ty Proctor can't get a good result in the Aussie Champs. Hes so entertaining here in Britian. Wheres the next round?

Shame Ty Proctor can't get a good result in the Aussie Champs. Hes so entertaining here in Britian. Wheres the next round?

Broken Hill,NSW,superguest.

Broken Hill,NSW,superguest.

Broken Hill is beyond the Black Stump, out the back of beyond just before you get to the Never Never. It's just down the road from Silverton, where they filmed

Not much has changed. Next time I'm over I'll tell you an interesting story about Silverton, featuring my ol' Dingo Tiger, a 40-foot Refrigerated Semi Trailer full of beer and 200 Trips.

Kyle Newman looked a bit unsettled but I reckon he can be forgiven, having just completed a marathon drive from North Queensland complete with a few diversions to avoid the Flooding; driving 3000-odd Kilometers AND having to put up with Gavin Elmes' Parade of Puns would take it out of anyone I reckon. Well Done to Gavin and Steve Koppe for getting him here, and big wraps to Gav for making sure he's got the right helmet cover on. Worrying to hear that there's an undercurrent against Kyle taking part, but with Barnie breaking his arm there was no other replacement available who was willing to undertake the travel involved, not to mention the expense. I've always been of the opinion that it's the More The Merrier as far as our little comp. goes; certainly we've benefited from having guests of the calibre of Scotty Nicholls and Freddie Lindgren gracing the field. Arlo & Mitch are still the strongest riders in the field, having to hold the rest of the Riders' Table up - neither of them are quitters but alas they are outclassed.

I understand from Kyle that there was absolutely nothing against him personally.The riders felt that it was an Aussie Championship,and rightly,imo,questioned why he was in.ALL the riders made sure he knew it was nothing personal against him at all.

The answer was simple.The authorities wanted someone to commit to all 3 of the remaining rounds.For their own reasons,for which I dont know,no one came forward.Kyle came forward.Hence his inclusion.He was pleased with his efforts although of course he would have liked to do better.

Once again thanks to everyone in Aus for their continued reports from the meetings etc.Its very much appreciated here in the UK.

Once again thanks to everyone in Aus for their continued reports from the meetings etc.Its very much appreciated here in the UK.

Speedway's all about sharing, Bob, and we're rapt that people are interested in our goings-on. I think a lot of folks have trouble with the concept of just how huge this place is - Kyle driving for two or three days just to get to a meeting is a case in point. Personally I'd love to see Marcus's tour run through the Southern States or even double meetings in each centre - say friday night a mini-test match then saturday Ozchamps but then I'm a bit of a tragic! MA are polling the riders for their views on the series - too long too many tracks etc - so I'd say we'll be just looking at three maybe four next season Kurri Kurri, Mildura and Gillman are nailed on - but we'll see how Broken Hill goes first! This Updating Lark could be interesting, there's a coupla bars at the track and Country Boys love to party!.

Edited by BigFatDave

Dirts take: Ward was majestic recovering from an early stack (in practice) to dominate before mechanical gremlins slowed his momentum.

He was looking quicker than all in one blistering race, but the equipment didnt hold up. Maybe he is too quick for the engines who knows, but he didnt wind down the throttle as anyone would know it is simply not part of his repitere.

Proctor showed glimpses of class as he undoubtably has, but Holder was the professional that he is and all credit to him for overcoming a front flip nasty looking spill with kozza, who caught him from 4th! in the 4th or so round of heats.

Doyley is guts personified and all the best for him..

this dvd will be well worth a look as with double kurri.

Ward is my tip for round 3 and the dvd will be outstanding.

mmmmm go #Ward

Seems like its been a great few days, BFD :D

Have to agree that its great to see so many seniors supporting the meets. :approve:

Seems like its been a great few days, BFD :D

Have to agree that its great to see so many seniors supporting the meets. :approve:

It's been a bit of a blur as usual, Shirl! I was attacked by a six-foot Cockroach with a bad attitude last week - doctors told me there was a nasty bug going round - so the three days of enforced Alcohol Withdrawal while at the Junior meetings (DRY!!) obviously contributed to my general well-being. No fun being crook when everyone wants to party so I forced myself to digest a few aids to personal well-being in order not to miss out, which along with the Bulk Strength Bug Zappers the quacks gave me contributed to a general sense of floating above the clouds - pretty much par for the course in other words.

Gillman was a chance to get back on it in a large way in the company of many like-minded serial substance abusers, and I more than made up for it, so much so that Sunday Morning was cancelled.

Couldn't agree more with your second point; the kids were walking tall among their heroes and the Seniors were cheering the youngsters on. Chris and Darcy both did interviews during Friday's meeting; Darcy is starting to follow Chris as a polished public performer which can only help his developement as a future GP Rider; I think the FIM Award has focussed him on just how far he can go in the sport if he keeps working on all aspects. Chris also presented the juniors with their Race Jackets on Sunday Night for the pairs; giving us all a laugh when he threw brother Jack his colours rather than just hand them over.

Jack Holder is definitely a goer - unbeaten in the pairs event; he even lowered the colours of Arthur Sissis in a memorable dice - try as he might Arthur couldn't quite get his nose in front over four hard-fought laps. Others to impress and jot down in your notebook include WA's Cameron Heeps; Victoria's Max Fricke and Queensland's Zaine Kennedy: you'll hear these names again for sure.

Sidewinders is a custom-built venue for Juniors - crowds were good with the peak of over 250 or so on Friday night filling the back straight - and it's a crying shame that there's no equivalent in the UK. This is the nursery where virtually all South Oz & Victorian riders have honed their craft, with riders from the rest of the country making the long trek over for the big occasions; it's a great little track. I'll be back again for sure: whoever programmed the Under 16's for the same week as Gillman OzChamps deserves to take a bow.

Who are the reserves at Broken Hill ??

Your intrepid reporter accompanied by the Coalition of the Bewildered will attempt to find out. Having stocked the fridge and esky we are going outside prospecting - we may be some time!

I can see that updating the Broken Hill meeting, may well be an experience! Never mind, all good fun and keeps the old brain working....and the old ego being stoked by continued requests for a photo of me in my (hot) pink nightie with monkies on :o:D

I can see that updating the Broken Hill meeting, may well be an experience! Never mind, all good fun and keeps the old brain working....and the old ego being stoked by continued requests for a photo of me in my (hot) pink nightie with monkies on :o:D

It's Hot, Damned Hot! We have to keep our fluid levels up at all times.