British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Sack The Statto At Sky Sports

I'm so glad i made my own spreadsheet for my computer that after each race instantly updates a meetings standings and in the case of the SGP the series standings.

It's nearly always a farce when it comes to them working out the impending semi-final qualifiers. They often get the permutatons so wrong. At least i'm safe in the knowledge of always being aware of what is at stake for each rider in the final round of races.

Tonight was just plain comical. Ad nauseum they repeatedly said Gollob and Hampel were level at the the top of the series standings.......Nooooo they weren't! Too be honest one didn't even need a spreadsheet to work out the points of the riders, they went through the workings and still got it wrong! Who on earth does their simple mathematical tasks? It is not rocket science.

And did you know that until Hampel won a GP this season Golob was the only ever Polish GP winner? Yet Holta was Polish in all his races tonight, obviously he wasn't the day he won a GP in Sweden.

And Millards knowledge of F1 is worse than his knowledge of speedway.

Yes. Not following in total detail I assumed the Gollob/Hampel information to be correct only to discover Gollob was only one point ahead at the end.

And, while we're at it, what about those Poles showing a photo finish of the end of lap 3 on one of the races.

And, while we're at it, what about those Poles showing a photo finish of the end of lap 3 on one of the races.

Yes I noticed that, they showed it few times, was hoping referee wasn't using that to make his decision!

And whilst we are at it, is Mark Webber, Keith Huwen's love child or something, how many times did he keep going on and on and on about him being there, and chartering a plane to support Jason zzzzzzzzzzzz

Can't you lot just sit back, have a cuppa, and enjoy yourselves? It was good entertainment tonight.

lol

And whilst we are at it, is Mark Webber, Keith Huwen's love child or something, how many times did he keep going on and on and on about him being there, and chartering a plane to support Jason

Spose it's seen as summat special at SKY for an F1 driver to lower themselves to watch a simple speedway meeting .............. especially given he had to fly his own plane there! Now let's see if Jason gets a mention when he's seen in Mark's pit at one of the F1 races :) I bet Jason could make a better fist of Mark's job than vice versa, but look who earns most dosh ........... I know which sport I'd rather watch as a spectator though and fan of my local club :)

I'm so glad i made my own spreadsheet for my computer that after each race instantly updates a meetings standings and in the case of the SGP the series standings.

It's nearly always a farce when it comes to them working out the impending semi-final qualifiers. They often get the permutatons so wrong. At least i'm safe in the knowledge of always being aware of what is at stake for each rider in the final round of races.

Tonight was just plain comical. Ad nauseum they repeatedly said Gollob and Hampel were level at the the top of the series standings.......Nooooo they weren't! Too be honest one didn't even need a spreadsheet to work out the points of the riders, they went through the workings and still got it wrong! Who on earth does their simple mathematical tasks? It is not rocket science.

congratulations

Can't you lot just sit back, have a cuppa, and enjoy yourselves? It was good entertainment tonight.

I enjoyed every second of it. I was the one who ages ago started a thread predicting that this season's series would be one of best ever.

It's just that i suggest to many non speedway fans to watch the SGP (and on the whole even the normal weekly speedway has been very good on Sky this year) but they get very confused when the commentators repeatedly make a statement only to (usually without apology or admission) totally turn it on it's head. Many scratched heads ensue.

congratulations

Well chuffed and bursting with pride lol

I enjoyed every second of it. I was the one who ages ago started a thread predicting that this season's series would be one of best ever.

It's just that i suggest to many non speedway fans to watch the SGP (and on the whole even the normal weekly speedway has been very good on Sky this year) but they get very confused when the commentators repeatedly make a statement only to (usually without apology or admission) totally turn it on it's head. Many scratched heads ensue.

If they've got any sense, they'll learn to see it for what it is, a show, an entertainment.

Speedway never started as a sport, it was a spectacle, an opportunist businessman's way of attracting a paying audience, and nothing much has changed; it didn't stand government scrutiny as a sport in the fifties, when it became subject to entertainment tax, and it doesn't stand scrutiny today.

If, for example, it started to properly enforce it's regulations (and didn't change them when it felt like it) it might start to be taken seriously; as things are, one of speedway's biggest problems is that nobody really knows what it is, an entertainment masquerading as a sport, or a sport that's trying too hard to be entertaining (although I think most sensible people would say it's much nearer the former than the latter).

I think the Sky viewing figures Vs the live attendances show, very clearly, that things like overly zealous presenters and stats that leave you guessing, just add to the pantomime nature of it all.

So I say, keep the dodgy stattos and shouty commentators, at this point, it's the best chance speedway has of surviving.

Yes it's an irritation,but a very minor one.

After all don't most televised sports suffer similarly?

For example we have continually had commentators and pundits asserting that England are a world class football team with a realistic chance of winning the world cup :wink: :wink:

Everything the commentators say on the broadcasts the average fan knows about all the riders so it becomes very tedious when it is repeatedly mentioned. I'd rather hear things that aren't common knowledge, its always good to get the riders aspect on the racing/mehcanical side.

How about giving us a fans zone option for an alternative?

When Sky pull the plug on Speedway what will you lot have to moan about then.