British Speedway Forum
RPNY

U21 World Team Cup - British Team Selection

Apologies if this has already been talked about on here, but will the British team consist of Bridger Woffy etc even tho they are likely to be in the snr World Cup squad too? With it being on home soil this yr would be good to have a strong team.

Hmm, not sure if this is the only thread for this subject (surprising that no-one commented on it...! :shock: ) - but I'm hardly helping, coz mine is just a fairly random question! :blink::oops:

Does anyone know what time the Practice for this on the Saturday is..? :unsure: Advertised on the SGB site as a public-allowed event...

Thanx.

Bu88er it...: bloody work meeting that morning!! Grr!!! icon_evil.gif

Uncle Len will probably be charging a score to get in anyway!

The team selected shows how bad Junior speedway is in this country. As far as I can tell there are only 9 under 21's in the PL, With just 2 in the EL.

Tai Woffinden

Lewis Bridger

Kyle Newman

Kyle Hughes

Joe Haines

Paul Starke

Jerran Hart

Josh Auty

Kyle Howarth

Steven Worrall

Simon Lambert

Compare that to Poland, and you can see why were struggling so badly. More Brits needed for sure.

Edited by superguest

The team selected shows how bad Junior speedway is in this country. As far as I can tell there are only 9 under 21's in the PL, With just 2 in the EL.

Tai Woffinden

Lewis Bridger

Kyle Newman

Kyle Hughes

Joe Haines

Paul Starke

Jerran Hart

Josh Auty

Kyle Howarth

Steven Worrall

Simon Lambert

Compare that to Poland, and you can see why were struggling so badly. More Brits needed for sure.

If that is correct it is bordering on a disgrace.I wouldn't mind guessing that one or two other countries have more U21 riders in the country.Tai is a product of Oz speedway and apart from him none of those riders look to be heading for an international career of any note.Sad state of affairs :unsure:

MICHAEL LEE will be at Rye House for the WTC U-21 Final to sign copies of our new book, Back From The Brink (£16).

I believe turnstiles open at around 12.00pm on Sunday, September 5, with racing scheduled to start at 2.00pm.

Perhaps Mike should be appointed British Youth Coach, overseeing the development of the next generation of British youngsters. Based on previous comments on this thread, it certainly looks like we could do with someone qualified like him to help set the kids on their way and to monitor their progress.

Edited by tmc

Nice idea to talk about appointing a GB youth coach and Mike Lee would certainly have a part to play. Trouble is, who pays for such a set up?

A few years ago Peter Oakes took on the role of developing young Brits (can't remember his actual job title) and seemed to be doing a good job of supporting the youngsters and helping their development. If I remember he walked away from the post muttering about lack of support from the authorities (maybe someone else can give more detail), but I got the impression that there just doesn't seem the will to provide the necessary finance.

Nice idea to talk about appointing a GB youth coach and Mike Lee would certainly have a part to play. Trouble is, who pays for such a set up?

A few years ago Peter Oakes took on the role of developing young Brits (can't remember his actual job title) and seemed to be doing a good job of supporting the youngsters and helping their development. If I remember he walked away from the post muttering about lack of support from the authorities (maybe someone else can give more detail), but I got the impression that there just doesn't seem the will to provide the necessary finance.

I thought that Graham Reeve had taken over the Youth coach role.

I thought that Graham Reeve had taken over the Youth coach role.

With all due respect to the undoubted efforts of both Peter Oakes and Graham Reeve, neither (to my knopwledge) has ever ridden a speedway bike competitively, so they can hardly be described as 'coaches'. What it needs is for experienced ex-British riders - the likes of Mike Lee, Simmo, Kelvin Tatum, ideally one working with youngsters in each of the main regions of the country - to teach riding techniques and all the do's and don'ts from a very young age. I'm talking aged 8/9 upwards - not 15, by which time they should have already learned all the basic skills.

Uncle Len will probably be charging a score to get in anyway!

Well he is charging a score for the meeting itself and considering that is the same cost as the "Elite" (yeh right) Pairs the night before the cost is about right, but the fact of his charging a fiver for the practice is disgraceful. I normally stick up for him in most things but charging anything at all is pathetic. On this he should hang his head in shame. I sincerely hope nobody turns up to pay the fiver