British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidba

Number Of Speedway Tracks In The World!

And what about the training mini tracks..? There's a number very active in the UK..: certainly at Scunny, at Iwade and I 'm fairly certain at Arlington...

These are seperate tracks in their own right.. :neutral:

Now there WAS some sort of training track facility at Burton-on-Trent until recently. It got almost zero publicity when it was there - and I wonder if it's still there but still largely off the radar..? :unsure:

This website gives details:

http://www.burtonmotox.com/viewpage.php?page_id=19

:neutral:

USA=14-Batavia,Action park,Marion County,Canton,Wauseon,Costa Mesa,Industry,San Bernardino,Victorville,Perris Raceway,Ridgecrest,Auburn,Vallejo,Osweg(I'm sure i got some of these mixed up?)

Batavia hasn't hosted a race this year and there are no plans to either. Oswego is actually Owego and it is called Champion Speedway. Vallejo hasn't hosted a race yet, but they should be starting this month. There were also races held at Perris Auto Speedway (a different facility than Perris Raceway) and in Fort Mojave, Arizona.

According to my count (assuming Vallejo runs a race), the number should be 15.

NZ has 24 speedway tracks, I'd say 12 of them run bikes or sidecars

Italy=6-Lonigo,Teranzano,Serego,Verona,Cialtroni,Giavera Del Montello

In Italy only 3 tracks are still open

Lonigo, Terenzano and Giavera del Montello

there's also a practice track at Potenza Picena

In Italy only 3 tracks are still open

Lonigo, Terenzano and Giavera del Montello

there's also a practice track at Potenza Picena

Jeez thats a big cut in tracks!

i must say i'm suprised we have more tracks here than any other country. :)

... and given that most of our tracks stage considerably more meetings than many tracks in other countries quite a chunk of World Speedway takes place in the UK!

... and given that most of our tracks stage considerably more meetings than many tracks in other countries quite a chunk of World Speedway takes place in the UK!

It shouldn't be forgotten though that lots of tracks stage meetins that won't be reported in the Speedway Star.In Denmark there are many meetings in the Danish 1 + 2 div as well as the "Old Boys" league and a few 80cc and 50cc leagues.This coming week Vojens will stage the 80cc World Championships which will consist of 6 meetings and maybe an international challene on top of that

Edited by iris123

Acording to the officiel Danish Speedway Calendar, there are meetings at 20 tracks in Denmark in 2010.

The tracks are:

Brovst Speedway Center

50cc – 80cc – 500cc and 500cc Old Boys

Elling (Silkeborg)

50cc and 500cc Old Boys

Fjelsted Speedway Center

Fladbro (Randers)

80cc – 500cc and 500cc Old Boys

Gandrup

80cc and 500cc

Glumsø

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Grindsted

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Holstebro Speedway Stadion

Holsted Speedway Center

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Korskro (Esbjerg)

Korsløkke (Odense)

80cc

Munkebo

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Outrup Speedway Center

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Skærbæk

50cc and 80cc

Slangerup Speedway Center

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Uhre (Herning)

50cc – 80cc and 500cc

Vejlby (Fredericia)

50cc and 80cc

Vissenbjerg/Bred

50cc and 80cc

Vojens Speedway Center

80cc and 500cc

PARKEN (Copenhagen)

SGP

I trust that there is no fiddling of the figures going on? By that i mean surely we are not counting Grass Tracks towards the total. It may be worth having a closer look at the German, Dutch and other countries. Also, i personally, would not include a track if it only stages Long Track racing.

If, with a little more time, we are able to establish a firmer list, it would only be right to categorize tracks to differentiate between a training track and one that stages bona fide meetings for paying spectators, be that in a league competition or a single annual meeting.

On the subject of training tracks, i feel 80cc ones should be kept in a separate section. Possibly, even if, people pay entrance to watch the meetings??? - not too sure on that, leave it to others opinions to establish.

Interesting thread and hope (i'll try) people can find a little time to make it accurate.

Edited by manchesterpaul

The Dutch and German tracks that are listed in post #1 are all proper speedway tracks. But the most only stage 1 or 2 meetings per year.

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

The Dutch and German tracks that are listed in post #1 are all proper speedway tracks. But the most only stage 1 or 2 meetings per year.

Exactly.There is no fiddling going on.Speedway tracks were wanted and speedway tracks are listed.Some enues host Longtrack and Speedway or grasstrack and speedway,but they are held on separate tracks not the same one B).Some are totally separate ie the Teterow speedway stadium and the grasstrack or Ludwigslust Longtrack and the speedway track.Others i.e Herxheim have the speedway track inside the Longtrack.So the list as it stands is accurate

Does one count temporary tracks in stadiums, indoor speedway tracks, or multi-purpose 'speedway' tracks such as you get in Australia and New Zealand? Do you count Hackney twice if you visited it as the 'London Stadium'? :blink:

Anyway, my count would be 53 'pure' speedway tracks in Britain (only counting Hackney once), Poland, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, Australia, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia and the USA. Sadly 17 of these are now defunct.

To this you can add 3 stadium tracks (Cardiff, Munich and Gothenburg), 2 indoor speedway tracks (London Arena and Manchester G-MEX), 2 ice racing tracks (Assen and Utrecht). I suppose you could also include Telford as well, but that's neither ice racing nor speedway.

There's also a handful of longtracks and grasstracks as well, but in the case of grasstracks I'd only count them if they were in a proper stadium. I've been to plenty of grasstrack meetings held in various fields, but I'm not sure you can describe them as tracks as such. :rolleyes:

David's list is only CURRENT Speedway tracks!! So you wouldn't be counting Hackney even once!! :rolleyes:

Though, as I sit here but a half-mile away from the magnificent looking new Olympic Stadium positioned in the same part of Stratford-le-Bow as the former Hackney Wick Stadium, who knows we may soon be able to list that as an occasional current British Speedway venue!! :neutral:

David's list is only CURRENT Speedway tracks!! So you wouldn't be counting Hackney even once!!

Yes, but at what point do you consider a track defunct? ;) Some tracks are still physically there (e.g. Oxford), but haven't staged a meeting in a while. Others only irregularly stage speedway, and speedway may not even be the main function of the track. :blink: