British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DEEG

Sunday Times Piece On British Gp

Nice to see a good write up in the Sunday Times today about last night's superb British GP...it has raised a question though...it described the crowd as a disappointing 32,000 yet the BSPA website says it was a record crowd of 44,150.

I must admit watching last night I didn't think the numbers was as high as I've seen before,but difficult to tell when you're watching on TV. So purely out of personal interest, not to make an issue out of it, I wondered if anyone who was lucky enough to go could shed any light on how many people were actually there...however many it was they had a great night and the atmosphere sounded fantastic!!

I have been going to Cardiff for 4 years now and I would have thought thet yesterday's attendance was the least I have seen -- but then again I never counted! :D

Don't they claim a record attendance every year?

Anyway,someone has obviously done some research.So here are the figures

GP attendances

and an article on the dubiousness of announced figures

GP attendances???

Edited by iris123

Ah, but you were seeing double... :lol:;)

and then a few more for good measure ;)

I was there and also thought it wasn't as many as last year. The friend I go with agreed. There were alot more dick heads tho. The fighting between bends 1 and 2 (in the stands, not on the track) was a disgrace. The safety of the paying crowd was woefully put at risk. Atmosphere, until the riot started, was as good as it always is.

Not alot of talk about Davey Watt. Had a good chance last night, pity.

Nice to see a good write up in the Sunday Times today about last night's superb British GP...it has raised a question though...it described the crowd as a disappointing 32,000 yet the BSPA website says it was a record crowd of 44,150.

I must admit watching last night I didn't think the numbers was as high as I've seen before,but difficult to tell when you're watching on TV. So purely out of personal interest, not to make an issue out of it, I wondered if anyone who was lucky enough to go could shed any light on how many people were actually there...however many it was they had a great night and the atmosphere sounded fantastic!!

I must admit I thought the crowd was up on recent years, the main stand was packed all 3 tiers as was the stand behind the first bend. The differance for me I thought there were far more fans in the upper tier down the back straight

Crowd was down on other years no way a record, if you looked carefully, they were lots of blocks in the bottom tier on the bends that were completely empty which had not been sold, also top tier on home straight was empty. We were on top tier on third bend row 16 and the first 14 rows in front of us were completely empty like the tickets had been reserved till some people realised and moved into them at the start. On sky they just focus on middle tier on back straight where they give the free flags out which is full.

I was there and also thought it wasn't as many as last year. The friend I go with agreed. There were alot more dick heads tho. The fighting between bends 1 and 2 (in the stands, not on the track) was a disgrace. The safety of the paying crowd was woefully put at risk. Atmosphere, until the riot started, was as good as it always is.

Not alot of talk about Davey Watt. Had a good chance last night, pity.

We were bang in the middle of the trouble zone, my brother got punched in the face by a Polish fan. It all seemed to start from the Poles ignoring the stewards requests to move out of the aisles and remain in their seats.

down on previous years even the town seemed quieter to me

Personally I find it hard to believe the attendance was 32,000 that seems a very low figure. So weve lost 10,000 fans in a year, like with most Newspapers I reckon its a load of bull. I was in the lower tier of the home straight and all three tiers on backstraight were quite full. Obviously there were pockets of empty seats around but I really do find it hard to believe that we are 10,000 fans down thats far too many to believe.

Lets face it, how are meant to believe a newspaper that doesnt normally give a damm about speedway, they are just trying to do us down as usual. :mad:

Edited by Brummie Kev

Don't they claim a record attendance every year?

Anyway,someone has obviously done some research.So here are the figures

GP attendances

and an article on the dubiousness of announced figures

GP attendances???

Most football clubs announce the attendance as the amount of tickets sold not the amount of people actually there , to me the attendance looked much the same as pervious years

Personally I find it hard to believe the attendance was 32,000 that seems a very low figure. So weve lost 10,000 fans in a year, like with most Newspapers I reckon its a load of bull. I was in the lower tier of the home straight and all three tiers on backstraight were quite full. Obviously there were pockets of empty seats around but I really do find it hard to believe that we are 10,000 fans down thats far too many to believe.

Lets face it, how are meant to believe a newspaper that doesnt normally give a damm about speedway, they are just trying to do us down as usual. :mad:

You couldn't see the top tier on home straight though that was empty, watch it on sky, also at the start of the heats when the lineup comes up look at all the empty blocks.

I don't think it was 10,000 down, I'd say about 38000-40,000.

Before and after the event i always create a 'Google News' Favourite on my Desk Top. Whilst more reports will gradually filter through over the coming days, there is a remarkable downturn in the number of results returned.

Anyway, of those there now, the Telegraph reports a 'record' crowd of 41,150 and an Australian site quotes 41,000.

Best so far is the Herald Sun in Australia which quotes an attendance of MORE than 44,000!