British Speedway Forum

Nothing against the Royal Navy, but why are they sponsoring Speedway? It's not as if they are a commercial organisation like most sponsors.

It's likely for recruitment purposes. It's typical lack of joined-up government thinking though - the government says it needs to reduce the size of the armed forces, so they go on a recruitment drive. :rolleyes:

It's likely for recruitment purposes. It's typical lack of joined-up government thinking though - the government says it needs to reduce the size of the armed forces, so they go on a recruitment drive. :rolleyes:

But we've had an election in between. It's the new government who want to reduce the size of the armed forces. It will have been the old lot that signed up to throw away loads of taxpayers money on something so barmy as a recruitment drive at speedway meetings.

Can't see how having "Royal Navy" across the fork covers of the bikes at a GP is going to persuade anybody to enlist - seems a really strange link up to me.

Can't see how having "Royal Navy" across the fork covers of the bikes at a GP is going to persuade anybody to enlist - seems a really strange link up to me.

People on this forum complained that tax payers money was used on the new Wembley stadium.

It's a good job no one watches the Speedway GP, think of the uproar, wasting taxpayers money on dirty motorbikes.

People on this forum complained that tax payers money was used on the new Wembley stadium.

It's a good job no one watches the Speedway GP, think of the uproar, wasting taxpayers money on dirty motorbikes.

yeah but if anyone tries to pull that off tell them that Gotheburgs GP was sponsored byMiljöpartriet (the green party) one year

because they consider Speedway to be a very non polluting sport.

Let's not knock the Royal Navy for their sponsorship of Speedway, they did a good job at Cardiff and Speedway needs all the big name sponsors it can get.

It is, as mentioned earlier, a recruitment excercise and they have had quite a number of enquiries about careers in the Navy, including many from parents asking about prospects and apprenticeships for their children so let's welcome the Forces to our sport.

Let's not knock the Royal Navy for their sponsorship of Speedway, they did a good job at Cardiff and Speedway needs all the big name sponsors it can get.

It is, as mentioned earlier, a recruitment excercise and they have had quite a number of enquiries about careers in the Navy, including many from parents asking about prospects and apprenticeships for their children so let's welcome the Forces to our sport.

I'm not knocking their sponsorship, just questioning it. If there have been enquiries about joining the Navy as a result of their input (Out of interest, how do you know there has?) then all well and good.

I'm not knocking their sponsorship, just questioning it. If there have been enquiries about joining the Navy as a result of their input (Out of interest, how do you know there has?) then all well and good.

It's about raising awareness in small ways. RAF Careers have in the past provided our karting series with sponsorship - which largely amounted to providing a tent with the RAF logo on it, a flag to put up on the flagpole, and few decals for the karts. Karting is watched by a handful of people, but it does still seem to generate interest and I know at least one karter that joined up.

You only have to look at motorsport in the States to see the sponsorship opportunities; Nascar runs vehicles sponsored by the Army, the National guard and the Coastguard while in Top Fuel Tony 'The Sarge' Schumacher and his 'Army of One' have dominated. Every meeting spotlights troops in the crowd or on Pit Lane - great bang for the bucks. If the RN have seen fit to go for the market good on 'em.

That was not ENGALND its WALES, and not a dragon anywhere

Sorry about there being no Dragon .... Wife didn't make it this year !

I know that Red Bull & Monster are here too, but the hoped for tie between Red Bull F1 & Speedway hasn't materialised (aside from Webber visiting Crumpy). I think they missed a trick by not bringing a couple of the 2009 F1 cars (Mclaren, Red Bull Racing) etc over to the Millenium Stadium for the Fanzone Would be a nice tie in, and could have boosted sales for both. (Anyone else fancy watching a F1 car flooring it past the castle?

And just think, they could bring the startline girls from the F1 series too :D

As the British GP was on the same weekend then there was little chance of either happening.

I know that Red Bull & Monster are here too, but the hoped for tie between Red Bull F1 & Speedway hasn't materialised (aside from Webber visiting Crumpy). I think they missed a trick by not bringing a couple of the 2009 F1 cars (Mclaren, Red Bull Racing) etc over to the Millenium Stadium for the Fanzone Would be a nice tie in, and could have boosted sales for both. (Anyone else fancy watching a F1 car flooring it past the castle?

A couple of things, Red Bull would not have any chance of bringing a McLaren to any sort of event. Why would they bring an F1 car to a speedway event, they were showcasing their cars in Northampton to over 300,000 people over that weekend, plus millions around the world via tv. As for running the f1 car past the castle, well Red Bull did that in the week before Silverstone all be it around the houses of Parliament to promote F1.

F1 doesn't need to promote itself, they had no need to be there. on the othe rhand, speedway needs to promote it's self, were there any speedway bikes at Silverstone?

You think that's bad?... Someone in the row behind me spilt their drink, so now I have what looks like cola stains on my new white canvas shoes... Now I have a dilemma... Do I put them in the washing machine and risk shrinkage, look for a cleaning product, or simply throw them away?

Stick em in the washing machine...but scrub them using cold water and washing up liquid first...canvas usually washes ok as ong as its no hoter than 50 degrees

As regards to big sponsorship ive a friend or 3 inside Red Bull and Monster energy (used to work in there pr)and keep badgering about high profile sponsorship other than just a handful of riders..works in MX Motogp and obviously f1(altho that isnt relevant!) so who knows