British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Whose Idea Was It To Use Kings Lynn ?!?

I used Poole as a third choice. Monmore would be fine. An EL club in the centre of the country where British riders should do well. Not some PL track, regardless of how tidy it now is.

Hopefully the manager will do the right thing and fall on his sward in a couple of weeks time if TeamGB fail to make the final. It's on his neck in his own back yard. No excuses.

Kings Lynn or any PL club shouldn't get a sniff of holding a prestigeous international meeting in the UK. EL only and rightly so. The riders race in the EL, not PL. IF PL fans want to watch top riders, go to an EL track!

What a load of cobblers. As long as the track holding such a meeting has the requisite facilities then it doesn't matter whether its Elite or Premier. King's Lynn have spent money on improving their stadium in recent years and deserve to hold events like this. Similar story to Rye House who have done likewise and applied for the Under 21 events.

As for Rob Lyon, give the guy a break. He might have a background in the PL but at least he is used to success. Can't really argue with his choices for Mondays meeting.

As for Rob Lyon, give the guy a break. He might have a background in the PL but at least he is used to success. Can't really argue with his choices for Mondays meeting.

TeamGB will get my full support, even against the three Poole Aussies. And I agree that the team picked is the right team, unlike last year.

I just believe that an event like this should have been held on an EL track where the TeamGB riders ply their trade, not a PL track that offers no advantage to the British team, but a healthy one to the Aussies.

What a load of cobblers. As long as the track holding such a meeting has the requisite facilities then it doesn't matter whether its Elite or Premier.

Yes it does ....speedway biggest problem in the Uk is that there is no reward for going forward or being a El club ...having a Pl team stage this event and having a Pl team manager being in charge let again gives no reason for teams to move up .

Who can blame Kl for staying where they are on anyone for that matter .

Obviously in a perfect world then all clubs would be striving to perform in the top section. But the world that modern day Speedway finds itself is far from perfect.

The demands of the GP's and leagues overseas means that the Elite is a midweek league and as our clubs are run as independent businesses you can't blame them staying in a League which more suits their needs. Much higher costs in the Elite, but certainly no guarantee of much bigger crowds.

Obviously in a perfect world then all clubs would be striving to perform in the top section.

Not when thing like this are happening ...thats the whole point .

Kings Lynn or any PL club shouldn't get a sniff of holding a prestigeous international meeting in the UK. EL only and rightly so. The riders race in the EL, not PL. IF PL fans want to watch top riders, go to an EL track!

KL is still an FIM track so ger over youself :blink:

EL snobbery at it's best!

I used Poole as a third choice. Monmore would be fine. An EL club in the centre of the country where British riders should do well. Not some PL track, regardless of how tidy it now is.

Hopefully the manager will do the right thing and fall on his sward in a couple of weeks time if TeamGB fail to make the final. It's on his neck in his own back yard. No excuses.

Well, Rye House has the international meeting that is the final of Under 21 World Cup.

Can't see anything wrong personally with a PL club having a World Cup round - pity that Kings Lynn is so far from Poole for many of us to attend. :cry:

TeamGB will get my full support, even against the three Poole Aussies. And I agree that the team picked is the right team, unlike last year.

I just believe that an event like this should have been held on an EL track where the TeamGB riders ply their trade, not a PL track that offers no advantage to the British team, but a healthy one to the Aussies.

The GB team have practiced on the track quite frequently. That was how Roynon suffered his injury wasn't it? All of the TeamGB riders (or most of them )have plyed there trade in the PL before. Does it matter what track they ride on they are suppposed to be the worlds best. The teamGb riders don't ply their trade in the EL they ply there trade all over the continent Sweden, Denmark, Poland etc.It was probably also chosen for their facilities as well. Most riders would say they ike riding at the Norfolk Arena and i guarantee most Aussies would say that it is one of their favourite race tracks becuase in my opinion i believe the aussies are better racers than us brits.

Edited by horse17

Don't you just love Mr Shovlar.

Not.

EL snobbery! PL track, team manager from a PL track.. a bit too close to slumming it in our inferior league? Unbelievable.

Agree with some of the points on here, especially the one about PL clubs getting big events, they should always be given to the top EL teams, they are there for a reason. Would you ever see big football matches being hosted at a 2nd tier team like Scunthorpe, for instance? The point about a PL manager doesn't really stand as he may just be seen as the best man for the job, although he wasn't that last year.

Agree with some of the points on here, especially the one about PL clubs getting big events, they should always be given to the top EL teams, they are there for a reason. Would you ever see big football matches being hosted at a 2nd tier team like Scunthorpe, for instance? The point about a PL manager doesn't really stand as he may just be seen as the best man for the job, although he wasn't that last year.

Maybe in football you wouldn't see some big match going to a lower league but that's probably because they don't have stadia up to it.

But KL have a track and stadium of FIM requirements so what's the problem. They are far better set up than some EL tracks I have been to.

Yes it does ....speedway biggest problem in the Uk is that there is no reward for going forward or being a El club ...having a Pl team stage this event and having a Pl team manager being in charge let again gives no reason for teams to move up .

Who can blame Kl for staying where they are on anyone for that matter .

That is a very good point but is not the point Shovvy was making. I don't think there is a lot in the argument that it should be on a track that gives advantage to British riders becuase at most tracks it would be so marginal as to make no difference. However I do agree with orions point that the big meetings should be a prize event for the Elite League. No disrespect to KL fans but many of them are going to get a top-notch meeting on their doorstep at a location that will be very difficult for many EL fans to get to on a week night, but KL as club will benefit with loads of local publicity that the EL clubs will miss out on.

If KL want their fans to see the better riders they should support the EL and not have Rob Lyons fixing this up by the back door.

I notice KL are quite happy for the EL to stage the mind numbingly boring British under-21. If they are not prepared to chip in with the rubbish meetings like that why should they have the jewel in the crown ?

I thought the Centre Green Sward at KL had been concreted over?

but KL as club will benefit with loads of local publicity that the EL clubs will miss out on

I did hear the meeting advertised on KLFM if that's what u mean, haven't seen an ad on the BBC though ;)

Our promotion gains through IMG hiring the stadium, which of course the EL clubs miss out on tis true.

Nothing to do with us fans which league our stadium owners/promoters choose to run their team in is it!!