British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Whose Idea Was It To Use Kings Lynn ?!?

Well, Rye House has the international meeting that is the final of Under 21 World Cup.

Can't see anything wrong personally with a PL club having a World Cup round - pity that Kings Lynn is so far from Poole for many of us to attend. :cry:

Kings Lynn from Edinburgh is slightly further, but at least we don't have the M25 I suppose ;) We're leaving at 10am, hopefully be at KL around 4pm in time for some food, diet coke cos I'm driving grrrrr still I have a wee bottle of Bordeaux back at the Travelodge - luxury eh?

And Eastbourne has?

I seem to remember the problem with Wolves was that the straights and bends were too narrow for FIM requirements.

If KL want their fans to see the better riders they should support the EL and not have Rob Lyons fixing this up by the back door.

I notice KL are quite happy for the EL to stage the mind numbingly boring British under-21. If they are not prepared to chip in with the rubbish meetings like that why should they have the jewel in the crown ?

Lynn has staged British U21 and senior British semis over the past couple of years so they have had the 'rubbish' meetings as you put it. From what I have read on here the last two U21 finals have been boring because of the slickness of the track, which may explain why they were 'mind numbingly boring'.

And it wasn't the Lynn fans who clubbed together and lobbied for the SWC, it was Buster who wants meetings like this. Several years ago, before the stadium improvements started, he talked of spending thousands on the run down old place and hosting major events and he has been true to his word. Maybe instead of encouraging mediocrity as one or two have mentioned Buster's success may encourage others with old stadia to improve facilities for their customers and be rewarded similarly?

Even if PL tracks having big meetings does discourage others from 'bettering themselves' by going EL I'm sure there are many other more significant factors ie costs, rider availability through foreign leagues and world championship meetings, disrupted fixture lists, lack of variety etc (and before orion starts I don't think the PL is perfect either). I can't remember a queue of PL tracks wanting to move up before Rye and Lynn were given these big meetings.

And I would also question how much say the BSPA, Rob Lyon or whoever has in the FIM / BSI's choice of venue. Buster was the one who applied for the meeting and was successful. Also were there similar complaints about the geography when it was held at the EoES last year? Lynn is only another half an hour down the road after all.

King Lynn is one of the best RACE tracks in the country (the best IMO) and will be prepared by the man who gave us such a good surface at Peterborough last year and what fab racing that produced.

The number one choice by a country mile.

So picking an EL track would be a much better way to get team GB through to the final eh.... So the entire Aussie team don't ride in the EL?

Kings Lynn has become vastly improved in the last few years with the Chapmans really turning the Norfolk Arena in to a fine stadium. You can see the whole track from every viewing point in the stadium which you can't say about many tracks. The track itself when prepared right and with the best riders in the world on it will really come alive, and i believe it will be a better meeting than last years at Peterborough, a big call i know.

Furthermore i think the brits will have had some practice as a group around kings lynn to nail in some of that important knowledge, looking for the so called home track advantage. And to call for Rob Lyon to fall on his sword?? Obsurd to say the least, the best British manager in British speedway, hence why he has the job.

Monday i think will be a really close meeting with Australia, GB and Sweden all gunning for the first place, and GB will fair a lot better than last year also.

Steve Shovlar please removed your head from your EL Glory filled arse.

AFAIK, Wolverhampton has never been an FIM licensed track, so that rules that out.

Swindon held a round a few years back, and AFAIK they also don't have an FIM licence, perhaps its the fact that air fences are the norm now? As has been stated the guys should be able to ride any track.

Said on Sky sports just now, they are expecting crowds of 8,500, that's a lot of people and lots of cars :o people who are going best get there early lol

Edited by crikeythatsfast

Just for the record here is a supporter of an EL team who is entirely happy with the choice.

I think what Steve is saying (and unusaually I agree with him) is that as we have been given a home qualifier then why do we not make the most of home advantage-holding the tie at KL plays right into the hands of Australia particularly with Darcy Ward possibly being a weak link on a number of EL tracks -he will rattle in double figures Monday night-My personal preference would have been Coventry with only Tai and Lee not having had it as a home track in the past few years (and obviously Richardson is a former Bees rider)nothing about snobbery just wanting to win-whats more with Coventry should a rider have got injured in the weeks preceding the meet Kennett and Barker coould have slotted in as natural replacements-Come on GB and prove me and SS wrong as Kevin Keegan would say -I'd love it really really love it

I think what Steve is saying (and unusaually I agree with him) is that as we have been given a home qualifier then why do we not make the most of home advantage-holding the tie at KL plays right into the hands of Australia particularly with Darcy Ward possibly being a weak link on a number of EL tracks -he will rattle in double figures Monday night-My personal preference would have been Coventry with only Tai and Lee not having had it as a home track in the past few years (and obviously Richardson is a former Bees rider)nothing about snobbery just wanting to win-whats more with Coventry should a rider have got injured in the weeks preceding the meet Kennett and Barker coould have slotted in as natural replacements-Come on GB and prove me and SS wrong as Kevin Keegan would say -I'd love it really really love it

In one of the norfolk papers today Darcy Ward doesn't have Kings Lynn as one of his favourite tracks because he cannot gate there and if he cannot gate on the night hopefully the British riders can shut him out.

I think Kings Lynn could work well for England ... I fancy us to win there ... okay the team has not ridden there often .. but neither has the opposition .. they have on EL tracks. So I am happy with the choice tho I think Sheffield is miles better.

As for 2nd division racing ... well it does nothing for me .. the league is full of EL has beens & serves only as a "training" league for the top clubs for younger talent. I could not watch has-been's, wannabe's, and never will-be's week in week out.

Yes I have been to Brum a few times ... give me the EL anyday. :rolleyes:

I could not watch has-been's, wannabe's, and never will-be's week in week out.

:rolleyes:

I've been to Wolverhampton too .... you can keep your Elite League.

I am more than happy to have this at Lynn great facility's and viewing it makes a refreshing change, and I personally can't wait. Hope for some nice weather now so get your sun hats out and get the 99 cones in yay!!!

The only other venue I would probably like would be Peterborough or Odsal if still open what a track.

Edited by popsicle

Good choice of track. It should produce some great racing.

(Even Rosco couldn't complain about it). :rolleyes: