British Speedway Forum

No offence to Czechs & Finns but do we need a new format for the world cup with 6 teams instead of 8?

No offence to Czechs & Finns but do we need a new format for the world cup with 6 teams instead of 8?

Not sure how that would work to be honest but i was thinking about the World pairs they used to run, i think that would be far more competitive. 5-6 countries could probably win that on any given day. I think there was 7 countries in the world pairs final, is that right?

Not sure how that would work to be honest but i was thinking about the World pairs they used to run, i think that would be far more competitive. 5-6 countries could probably win that on any given day. I think there was 7 countries in the world pairs final, is that right?

Maybe two 3 team tournament meetings, could race proper team speedway in pairs then, 6 in a team.

It's not so very long ago that the Russians were down with the Czechs and Finns. Look at them now. The Lagutas and Sayfutdinov, with Tarasenko coming along means that 3-4 years down the line they could be genuine contenders. I think the current system is okay, but the venues are becoming stale. It just seems to be three nations staging events year-on-year, with only two nations seeming to want to host the race-off and final. Britain seemed to want to host 2009, but Leszno was already a done deal, so we're alternating between Vojens and a Polsih track. Doesn't Gorzow have the final next season? When was the last time Sweden hosted an SWC meeting?

I'd look at going back to a single host nation, but that would probably also end up being Denmark and Poland alternating, or even just Poland year-on-year.

Maybe two 3 team tournament meetings, could race proper team speedway in pairs then, 6 in a team.

Would be just eighteen heats and I think BSI Speedway would want to get at least twenty out of a meeting. And to make a meaningful tournament out of it the weaker nations would still have to be involved in the early stages.

ladylcuk, Eskilstuna had a semi-final in 2005. I don't remember if we have had any swc in Sweden since.

I think the reason for that is that Swedish clubs don't want gamble their future by investing allot of money into a SWC round.

Edited by Ghostwalker

A further thought regarding the suggestion of a three team tournament format would be that it would increase the number of teams from eight to nine, since you would really need three meetings and nine teams to get a proper final. There would also be no scope for a race-off, with just the three winners progressing. It would also, at this moment in time, massively favour the Poles, who have a ridiculous depth of talent available.

If we followed that rule, there would be no Belle Vue in the Elite League.

We have not even ridden yet, so give us a break! :shock::lol:

ladylcuk, Eskilstuna had a semi-final in 2005. I don't remember if we have had any swc in Sweden since.

I think the reason for that is that Swedish clubs don't want gamble their future by investing allot of money into a SWC round.

A very fine meeting that was, too, including that superb race between Adams and Gollob (with Smolinski buzzing around) in the final race. I could not recall if Sweden staged on in 2006, but I guess that was also Vojens. I remember one event was at Rybnik in 2006 and the race-off and final were in Reading (then owned by BSI). Since then it has been all Denmark and Poland, with no end in sight.

A very fine meeting that was, too, including that superb race between Adams and Gollob (with Smolinski buzzing around) in the final race. I could not recall if Sweden staged on in 2006, but I guess that was also Vojens. I remember one event was at Rybnik in 2006 and the race-off and final were in Reading (then owned by BSI). Since then it has been all Denmark and Poland, with no end in sight.

i just checked and Målilla had a semi in 2006.

i just checked and Målilla had a semi in 2006.

Now I guess they are satisfied staging a GP. In addition, 2006 would've been projected as possibly Rickardsson's last season (which it was, although he bowed out before the SWC) and since then Sweden haven't been as competitive as before.

Format is just fine, reduce it to 6 teams and soon you will be losing team GB ;)

Like someone mentioned earlier Russia were making up the numbers a few years ago, teams need to ride against the best to improve and sometimes it is the odd point the likes of Finland will steal tomorrow will make all the difference in the meeting.

I enjoy the format and the whole SWC week.

Scrap qualifiers, top 2 seeds to final, other 4 to race-off.

Scrap qualifiers, top 2 seeds to final, other 4 to race-off.

Then you would have a closed shop of the same 6 teams. Keep it as it is. Was only 2 years ago that the Russians qualified to get in the last 8 and then made it through to the race-off.