British Speedway Forum

And not so very long ago that the Americans were finalists, while I think they may have made the race-off in 2006.

Then you would have a closed shop of the same 6 teams. Keep it as it is. Was only 2 years ago that the Russians qualified to get in the last 8 and then made it through to the race-off.

Agreed - it was boring today though, as 1st and 4th were clear. Hopefully it will better tomorrow. At least by the race off there are 4 more equal teams.

No offence to Czechs & Finns but do we need a new format for the world cup with 6 teams instead of 8?

How bout just the top 4 qualify and just have a final? :rolleyes:

It was only a few seasons ago we were saying the Russians were make weight, there not anymore. There a country very much on the up.

It gives us all chance to see riders we dont ordinarily see and how else are they gonna get onto the World stage?

The trouble with the Czech`s is they have been a spent force for 10 years or more. The Drymls may of 1 time been of a decent standard but now there riding on low averages from a mostly reserve position. Its time they started bringing through some of the youngsters - they would have still struggled anyway.

Scrap qualifiers, top 2 seeds to final, other 4 to race-off.

It has some merit i reckon. Gives even 2nd place some security for the following season.

It was only a few seasons ago we were saying the Russians were make weight, there not anymore. There a country very much on the up.

It gives us all chance to see riders we dont ordinarily see and how else are they gonna get onto the World stage?

Exactly. Its a World Cup: denying everyone but a favoured few the chance to take part would be ridiculous. I'd love to see the USA back in the mix, and Russia aren't that far away from a Final. Great crowd yesterday, hopefully the same tonight; I'm just wondering who'll be the first prat to whinge about the track.

I'd love to see the USA back in the mix, and Russia aren't that far away from a Final.

Russia were finalists last season.

Russia were finalists last season.

I know; I was there. Looking at either them or Team GB to make up the final with Oz, Polska and Denmark.

I think the current format is fine, much better then a few years ago when there were 3 qualifiers & then a race off.

Definetly need a change of venue tho. the Poles are strong & keep getting home advantage, that to me just doesn't make sense. Sweden should have a final soon, GB deserve a final & the way Russia are going they will be deserving of a final soon also. To keep alternating between Poland & Vojens is a) unfair & B) a wee bit monotonous...

Tex

I think they should rename it The World 4-Team Tournament - I would like to see larger teams. We and other european nations do not race team speedway based on four men teams and it has always puzzled me why "The World Cup" does!!!

Gorzow host the race-off & final next year, from what I read today morning :rolleyes:

I think the current format is fine, much better then a few years ago when there were 3 qualifiers & then a race off.

Definetly need a change of venue tho. the Poles are strong & keep getting home advantage, that to me just doesn't make sense. Sweden should have a final soon, GB deserve a final & the way Russia are going they will be deserving of a final soon also. To keep alternating between Poland & Vojens is a) unfair & B) a wee bit monotonous...

Tex

It isn't about deserving a Final.It is about which countries have a promoter willing to take the risk of shelling out for the Final.From the way the FIM seem to work you first need to host one of the quali rounds the previous year in all comps before you get the chance to host a Final.Sweden don't even seem to be ready to host one of the earlier rounds and so far Russia haven't either.Same with football.Countries only get the chance if they put in a good offer to host the World Cup Finals

Exactly. Its a World Cup: denying everyone but a favoured few the chance to take part would be ridiculous. I'd love to see the USA back in the mix, and Russia aren't that far away from a Final. Great crowd yesterday, hopefully the same tonight; I'm just wondering who'll be the first prat to whinge about the track.

Exactly, There are make weights in the Football world cup, why should we make it different!

Russia are already a higher seed than Team GB, unfortunately thats just how low we have fallen.

As for the part about the track?

id say about 19.01 ;):rolleyes:

I think they should rename it The World 4-Team Tournament - I would like to see larger teams. We and other european nations do not race team speedway based on four men teams and it has always puzzled me why "The World Cup" does!!!

I totally agree. The only trouble with change is that not many riders know how to team ride so it would still be gate and go by the individuals.

Why they cannot have a six/seven man teams and have say two meetings a night and run it over a seven day period on a knock out basis with a semi final and the final held on a neutral track. I think back in the 70's they ran something similar in the UK and it was sponsored by the Daily Mirror.

If they continue to hold it in Poland as has been suggested for next year, who is going to bother travelling to support other teams. Apathy prevailed yesterday with the three other teams simply accepting that they will be in the play off even before a wheel had been turned.

Lets hope that tonight is a bit more competitive.

I wonder if there is sufficient supporter interest in making this a 2 or 3 day event at one of the indoor stadiums?

Friday to Sunday, two semi finals & a final, tickets available for the whole event. 8 nations involved, most of the worlds top riders and a no rain off guarantee !

I wonder if there is sufficient supporter interest in making this a 2 or 3 day event at one of the indoor stadiums?

Friday to Sunday, two semi finals & a final, tickets available for the whole event. 8 nations involved, most of the worlds top riders and a no rain off guarantee !

Like the thinking!

However id still prefer it to be week long B)

Not sure how that would work to be honest but i was thinking about the World pairs they used to run, i think that would be far more competitive. 5-6 countries could probably win that on any given day. I think there was 7 countries in the world pairs final, is that right?

Yes, but then it would be a pairs competition rather than a proper team competition. Whilst the team riding aspect was better with the pairs format, there is a reasonable four-team format in riders compete as pairs, but that was scrapped after only a couple of editions because each team only rides in every other heat.

A three-team format isn't really very good either, because it's not practical for every rider to meet every other rider unless you run either 12 or 27 heats. The riding order can therefore unduly influence the result in the common, but unbalanced 18-heat 3TTs.

Whilst weak teams in the SWC have always been an issue, the 4TT format is at least balanced and provided three of the teams in each meeting are competitive, it doesn't really matter if one mismatched side is included.