British Speedway Forum

Nearly time for one of the more eagerly anticipated meetings of the season when we find out three of the qualifiers for the 2011 SGP series. Last season's qualifiers from Coventry were Magnus Zetterstrom, Chris Holder and Jaroslaw Hampel, two of whom currently find themselves in the top eight, while the third (Zetterstrom) has had his moments.

The contenders this season, as far as I can tell are as follows:

Tomasz Gapinski (POL)

Grigory Waguta (RUS)

Andrey Karpov (UKR)

Janusz Kolodziej (POL)

Artem Waguta (RUS)

Roman Povazhny (RUS)

Chris Harris (GBR)

Fredrik Lindgren (SWE)

Leon Madsen (DEN)

Niels-Kristian Iversen (DEN)

Simon Stead (GBR)

Antonio Lindback (SWE)

Thomas H Jonasson (SWE)

Magnus Zetterstrom (SWE)

Grzegorz Walasek (POL)

Sebastian Ulamek (POL)

Fingers will be no doubt crossed in the offices of BSI hoping that the result gives them more scope when it comes to the nomination process later in the season. A Polish qualifier would be a spanner in the works, while a couple of Poles would be a bit of a disaster for BSI, since the three Poles already in the series are more or less assured of places in the top eight. Ideally for BSI the top three in Vojens will be free of Poles. However, all of the Poles will go into the meeting in the knowledge that they have to qualify if they want a place in the GPs. That's a powerful motivation.

In an ideal world for BSI a Briton, a Dane and a Swede will emerge from Vojens, but how likely is that? Iversen qualified the last time the final was staged at Vojens and the recent SWC showed he still knows how to get around Ole Olsen's track to good effect. Chris Harris also showed to good effect in the SWC final, although Simon Stead was rather abject and the same can be said about Sweden's (and Wolverhampton's) big hope Fredrik Lindgren. Antonio Lindback, on the other hand, showed some good promise in Vojens, but he's likely to find himself on the wrong end of a tapes exclusion at some stage or another. Jonasson was good value in the GP at Malilla and is likely to put himself about a bit. I don't tend to think Jonasson is as good as some people, but after last night it's possible he could be the surprise qualifier. That could also present a problem for BSI, especially if Lindgren and Andreas Jonsson find themselves outside of the top eight after Bydgoszcz.

I wouldn't totally discount one of the Wagutas getting amongst the qualifiers.

It should be a fascinating meeting.

Edited by ladyluck

Not sure about Sky broadcasting this event but it will be shown live on Polish Canal+ which means the live stream will be somewhere online as well :)

Not sure about Sky broadcasting this event but it will be shown live on Polish Canal+ which means the live stream will be somewhere online as well :)

that is great news!

ive never understood why one of the most important meetings of the year isnt televised

Nearly time for one of the more eagerly anticipated meetings of the season when we find out three of the qualifiers for the 2011 SGP series. Last season's qualifiers from Coventry were Magnus Zetterstrom, Chris Holder and Jaroslaw Hampel, two of whom currently find themselves in the top eight, while the third (Zetterstrom) has had his moments.

The contenders this season, as far as I can tell are as follows:

Tomasz Gapinski (POL)

Grigory Waguta (RUS)

Andrey Karpov (UKR)

Janusz Kolodziej (POL)

Artem Waguta (RUS)

Adrian Miedzinski (POL)

Chris Harris (GBR)

Fredrik Lindgren (SWE)

Leon Madsen (DEN)

Niels-Kristian Iversen (DEN)

Simon Stead (GBR)

Antonio Lindback (SWE)

Thomas H Jonasson (SWE)

Magnus Zetterstrom (SWE)

Grzegorz Walasek (POL)

Sebastian Ulamek (POL)

Fingers will be no doubt crossed in the offices of BSI hoping that the result gives them more scope when it comes to the nomination process later in the season. A Polish qualifier would be a spanner in the works, while a couple of Poles would be a bit of a disaster for BSI, since the three Poles already in the series are more or less assured of places in the top eight. Ideally for BSI the top three in Vojens will be free of Poles. However, all of the Poles will go into the meeting in the knowledge that they have to qualify if they want a place in the GPs. That's a powerful motivation.

In an ideal world for BSI a Briton, a Dane and a Swede will emerge from Vojens, but how likely is that? Iversen qualified the last time the final was staged at Vojens and the recent SWC showed he still knows how to get around Ole Olsen's track to good effect. Chris Harris also showed to good effect in the SWC final, although Simon Stead was rather abject and the same can be said about Sweden's (and Wolverhampton's) big hope Fredrik Lindgren. Antonio Lindback, on the other hand, showed some good promise in Vojens, but he's likely to find himself on the wrong end of a tapes exclusion at some stage or another. Jonasson was good value in the GP at Malilla and is likely to put himself about a bit. I don't tend to think Jonasson is as good as some people, but after last night it's possible he could be the surprise qualifier. That could also present a problem for BSI, especially if Lindgren and Andreas Jonsson find themselves outside of the top eight after Bydgoszcz.

I wouldn't totally discount one of the Wagutas getting amongst the qualifiers.

It should be a fascinating meeting.

i think it will be a top three of

1. c. harris

2. f. lingren

3. g. laguta...............not waguta. lol!

You can certainly laugh, but I have noticed that the Polish portals generally have the "L" that starts the surname with a dash across it, which is the Polish equivalent of the English "W", here, for example:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2010/08/15/australijska-niespodzianka-relacja-z-2-finalu-imsj-w-daugavp/

Under such circumstances it is entirely possible that we should pronounce Laguta as Waguta, since their names are transliterated from the original Cyrillic.

Edited by ladyluck

Its always hard to predict a race like this but i hope for a Swedish clean sweep (1-3) on the other hand Kolodziej would probably be a good

addition to the GP series when you look at his performance in the leagues this season.

i think it will be a top three of

1. c. harris

2. f. lingren

You can certainly laugh, but I have noticed that the Polish portals generally have the "L" that starts the surname with a dash across it, which is the Polish equivalent of the English "W", here, for example:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2010/08/15/australijska-niespodzianka-relacja-z-2-finalu-imsj-w-daugavp/

Under such circumstances it is entirely possible that we should pronounce Laguta as Waguta, since their names are transliterated from the original Cyrillic.

Game, set and match to Ladyluck. So, Waguta it is then. Fancy that.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/polish.htm

Game, set and match to Ladyluck. So, Waguta it is then. Fancy that.

http://www.omniglot....ting/polish.htm

The things is Grachan, its not a polish name but a russian name.

"Григорий Лагута" and if you translate with this http://www.omniglot.com/writing/russian.htm you will get Grigorij Laguta

so judging by that tractors i right.

Back to the list of qualifiers, I thought Povazhny had qualified?

he is listed in the official FIM start list:

http://www.fim-live....s_Challenge.pdf

Not my lucky day, what with one thing or another. Should really have checked, rather than trying to list the riders from memory. However, returning to riders names and that "L" with the dash, it's somewhat interesting that the FIM see fit to place the double dots in the Swedish names but can't be bothered with the "dashed L" in Kolodziej's name.

Not my lucky day, what with one thing or another. Should really have checked, rather than trying to list the riders from memory. However, returning to riders names and that "L" with the dash, it's somewhat interesting that the FIM see fit to place the double dots in the Swedish names but can't be bothered with the "dashed L" in Kolodziej's name.

You have a strange definition of interesting....