British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahLapworth

Tamworth Saxons

Today we are pleased to announce the "official" launch of the Tamworth Saxons

As many of you are all aware the lid came off our new project a year early this month when we assembled a team under the Tamworth name to race at Weymouth which we won. Since then the interest we have recieved about this new project has been encouraging to say the least.

The plan is now to run a few 2nd half challenges towards the end of this year and then begin the serious business next year of doing full meetings against national league teams. This is very early days and we need to get together a good fan base before we even consider entering a team in the national league, that will probably be our aim for 2012/13. With regards to entering a team in the league we need to test the water first and then the idea would be to track share and raise the profile of the sport in Tamworth. There are at least 3 possible sites for speedway in Tamworth but we will keep the details under our belt for the time being.

We have been doing Team Viking for 2 years now but this is probably the biggest project we have taken on and we appreciate all your support in bringing the Tamworth name back to life. We are doing a Team Viking tour from the 23/9 to 3/10 but we are not sure yet if this will be the last tour before we put our time into the Tamworth project.

Thanks for your support and UP THE SAXONS!!!

Excellent news! Good luck to you & Kelvin for this, Sarah...

Anything I can do to help out just ask!!

THREE potential sites in the Tamworth area..: that's impressive and bodes well.. One site - things can go wrong (and usually do..): three sites make life a bit easier...

Well done Kelvin and Sarah and I wish you the very best of luck and ultimate success in your project.

After putting eight seasons into a similar project with Boston I know many of the difficulties that you could face but I believe that you have the strength of character to succeed.

I hope that the local council at Tamworth are more receptive than the disgraceful lip servants that the bad burghers of Boston are who claim to be "For Local Sport". Only when they don't have to do anything to help it.

Good Luck once again.

Malcolm Vasey

I hope that the local council at Tamworth are more receptive than the disgraceful lip servants that the bad burghers of Boston are who claim to be "For Local Sport". Only when they don't have to do anything to help it.

Malcolm Vasey

If I were you Malcolm, I'd organise a local protest against Boston Disrict Council by throwing all their tea into the harbour... It's worked before!!!! :wink::D

If I were you Malcolm, I'd organise a local protest against Boston Disrict Council by throwing all their tea into the harbour... It's worked before!!!! :wink::D

As I recall Derek you have considerable knowledge of that event maybe even first hand knowledge?

Malcolm Vasey

As I recall Derek you have considerable knowledge of that event maybe even first hand knowledge?

Malcolm Vasey

You should have got Steve Evans and his infamous brown envelopes involved MV :wink:

I really would like to wish you all the luck in the world with getting the Tamworth Saxons back on track. As a Brummies fan and a fan of Midlands Speedway its always great to see new tracks open. There really seems to be a feel good factor about the sport in these parts with the huge success of the Heathens, the return of the Leicester Lions for the 2011 season and full planning for the Brummies in a bulit up area.

You say theres 3 sites in Tamworth suitable for speedway, even if you come up with opposition just dont give up. We had alot of rocky times trying to secure the Brummies and it will be worth it if you come up successful.

Good Luck!!

This is fantastic news... another opportunity to spread the gospel to the West Midlands that Speedway is the best sport around. What better for our own local teams that a local track is there to help bring on and nurture young men to help fill those elusive reserve berths with local riders. I hope the council see this as a fantastic opportunity to help youngsters train to earn a living and in turn help the local teams attendances by possibly having a local rider to cheer on. Hopefully one day we will see you in a Premier League capacity bringing fans together for a fantastic local Derby. Best of luck.... most of all keep fighting, Speedway and Planning is not an easy hurdle.

Edited by Deano

Its been a bit quiet on the Tamworth front for a couple of months but here is a quick update on whats happening....

I have been in preliminary talks with people within the sport about forming a Midlands amateur/junior league to start next year. The idea would be to run this as a 2nd half league to follow on from the main meetings. We are looking at 4-5 riders per team over 6-7 heats. I'm not going to mention who I have been talking to about this just yet but the feedback has been promising. If this league can happen the Tamworth will be one of the starters. It would be good if some likeminded supporters could put teams together to represent other defunct names of the past like Long Eaton, Milton Keynes and Crewe. If you are interested then please IM me your details. Of cause nothing is plain sailing and anyone doing this would have to find a promoter willing to allow you to use their track for the 2nd half.

I am planning on an official media launch of the Tamworth Saxons to place in march 2011 possibly in the grounds of Tamworth castle where all the local newspapers and radio will be invited. Our race jackets will be sponsored by Racegear raceware from Leicestershire (please check them out on their facebook site).

Finally the first rider to commit to the Saxons is Lee Geary from Hincley, Leicestershire. Lee has also been a permanent part of the Team Viking set up and will take on the role of captain for the Saxons ... or should that be cheiftain? :)

watch this space for more details as they come

Edited by SarahLapworth

Its been a bit quiet on the Tamworth front for a couple of months but here is a quick update on whats happening....

I have been in preliminary talks with people within the sport about forming a Midlands amateur/junior league to start next year. The idea would be to run this as a 2nd half league to follow on from the main meetings. We are looking at 4-5 riders per team over 6-7 heats. I'm not going to mention who I have been talking to about this just yet but the feedback has been promising. If this league can happen the Tamworth will be one of the starters. It would be good if some likeminded supporters could put teams together to represent other defunct names of the past like Long Eaton, Milton Keynes and Crewe. If you are interested then please IM me your details. Of cause nothing is plain sailing and anyone doing this would have to find a promoter willing to allow you to use their track for the 2nd half.

I am planning on an official media launch of the Tamworth Saxons to place in march 2011 possibly in the grounds of Tamworth castle where all the local newspapers and radio will be invited. Our race jackets will be sponsored by Racegear raceware from Leicestershire (please check them out on their facebook site).

Finally the first rider to commit to the Saxons is Lee Geary from Hincley, Leicestershire. Lee has also been a permanent part of the Team Viking set up and will take on the role of captain for the Saxons ... or should that be cheiftain? :)

watch this space for more details as they come

Sarah,

This looks like somebody is thinking "outside of the box". Great idea and I wish you well in the venture and hopefully Tamworth will get its own track back in some form or another in the not too distant future.

With Long Eaton making an announcement and Leicester definitely opening next year, it looks like the Midlands is where it is at!!

Keep up the good work.

Martin Widman

I hope Sarah and Kelvin dont mind me posting against their great news about the 2nd half league, and more details will be in the Amateur section but I can also confirm that another new amateur team has been setup for 2011 - The Nikko Racing Ninjas. Hopefully we will be able to join the new league.

Full details on the Ninjas 2011 section at www.nikkoracing.co.uk (link in the signature)including our new Racejackets.

Regards

Nikko