British Speedway Forum

The penultimate Grand Prix of the 2010 season is just a week away and it could very easily be the meeting that sees the coronation of Poland's second world champion, leaving the final round in Gollob's home town of Bydgoszcz as a massive night of celebration. All it needs is for Tomasz Gollob to recover sufficiently from his "suspected food poisoning" and for Gollob to score six points more than nearest rival Jason Crump. Last year at Terenzano Gollob scored nineteen points more than the Australian.

However, with linger memories of 1999, Gollob isn't counting his chickens just yet. There is a major difference between 1999 and 2010. That difference has a name: Tony Rickardsson. Rickardsson never conceded that all was lost in 1999, while, after Gollob's wondershow in Vojens, Crump has more or less given up. Crump is a great rider, that's certain, but Rickardsson was an exceptional rider.

So, the title race could be decided, but it's unlikely that the all important final places in the top eight will be decided and that's where much of the interest will be on Saturday. The fight for top eight places is always fascinating and always goes to the final Grand Prix.

The rider currently sitting in eighth place in the standings is "plucky Brit" Chris Harris (being in the top eight isn't so important, if you're a plucky Brit, as Harris proves time and again), but a poor showing in Vojens has allowed the chasing pack to make inroads on his lead. Harris put in a good shift at Terenzano last season, but so did his nearest rivals Hans Andersen (Andersen scored mega-points as runner-up to Tomasz Gollob) and Andreas Jonsson. Andersen and Jonsson can't really be sure of nominations given the probably make-up of the top eight and the result of the GP Challenge Final, so they ought to be going all out in Terenzano. That could give them the edge over the plucky Brit. I'd be very surprised to see Harris in the top eight when the curtain falls on the final GP.

As for the rest, I would expect to see three-time champion Nicki Pedersen trying to build on his encouraging display in Vojens; Magnus Zetterstrom continuing to enjoy the experience of a GP season and Tai Woffinden trying to avoid embarrassing himself too much.

The "wild card", you ask? Well, it's Mattia Carpanese, so there's no chance of him avoiding embarrassment, but he could easily dish out embarrassment to one or two of the GP regulars.

Should be a good GP with a fair few riders finding form over the weekend: AJ, Hancock, Holta, Holder, Hampel, Crumpy, Bjerre, Zetterstrom, Woffinden and Andersen all had good returns while Lindgren and Harris were below par.

Will Tomasz get the half-dozen or so points he needs to secure his well-deserved Championship? Only time will tell, but you'd have to be game to bet against him.

Good to see someone's started a thread about watching this GP on the Internet, etc - should spare this thread from pages of Red Button-related posts.

Should be a good GP with a fair few riders finding form over the weekend: AJ.... had good returns

Don't let Mateusz, or probably any Bydgoszcz fan, hear you saying that... ;)

He's too busy down at the Scarf Factory!

Too late! But seriously - AJ doesn't deserve to ride in SGP next year and I hope he won't finish in top 8 this year. Kolodziej is the man to be there next year.

He's too busy down at the Scarf Factory!

LOL

Edited by Mateusz

i couldnt see the Gp on sky for saturday night. does that mean its back onto the red button again.?

Will Tomasz get the half-dozen or so points he needs to secure his well-deserved Championship? Only time will tell, but you'd have to be game to bet against him.

My math isn't great, but with 48pts available to the winner of the last 2 SGPs, I think that Tomasz needs 6pts 'more' than Jason and 5pts 'more' than Jarek to win the 2010 Solo Speedway World Championship and not just 6pts.

A long way to go yet.....

Edited by macca56

My math isn't great, but with 48pts available to the winner of the last 2 SGPs, I think that Tomasz needs 6pts 'more' than Jason and 5pts 'more' than Jarek to win the 2010 Solo Speedway World Championship and not just 6pts.

I think we can disregard Hampel. To be honest, since Crump seems to have conceded, I can't see anyone but Gollob taking the crown.

Anybody aware of practise times on Friday, and it it open to the public ?

The draw takes place at 13.00 local and practice starts at 15.00. I don't know if it is open to the public but the Press office is open from 12.00 to 15.30

Looking at weather, looks like could be a repeat of Croatia, looks like it will pour down all day on Saturday.

Looking at weather, looks like could be a repeat of Croatia, looks like it will pour down all day on Saturday.

Saturday and Sunday from what I can see !

Saturday and Sunday from what I can see !

Some forecasts have up to and including Tuesday!

In the absence of track covers can they not hire a group of fat opera singers to lay down on it for a day or two?

Edited by manchesterpaul