British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Tomasz Gollob World Champion 2010

Congratulations to Tomasz Gollob, after so many years of entertaining us and some times frustrating us, I am so pleased to see him take the title that he richly deserves.

Hopefully he won't retire too soon, the SGP series would be left with a vast hole to fill ! I just hope that when he does retire some enterprising promoter(s) will bring him over to the UK for a farewell tour, I would kinda like to watch him blasting around Berwick lol

It makes you wonder how many more titles Tomasz could have won if Ole had departed earlier. It cant be coincidence that as soon as there's some dirt on the tracks, Tomasz walks away with the title.

An utterly worthy and deserving Champion.A genius on a bike and a magnificent entertainer. Thank goodness he did not join the list of the "nearly" men.

Regards. Alan.

To my mind it was the plane crash that woke Gollob up - made him realise the 'god given talent' he had

It was the fact that the plane crash woke him up to what he could have done over the years, as opposed to what he did.

Personally, I think the Gollob renaissance started with his 2008 win in Krsko, which I think was before the crash. He went on to win twice more in 2008. Three wins in 2009 and now - so far - four wins in 2010.

My congratulations to Tomasz Gollob on his richly deserved world title and I hope that there might be a couple more to come.

I fail to see how anyone who loves our sport can claim to be "not a fan" of Tomasz Gollob. For me he epitomises everything a great speedway rider should be. Controversial at times and breathtakingly amazing at others. As much as I like Nicki, Tomek is simply the number 1 entertainer in World speedway at the moment and boy are we gonna miss him when he's gone.

When Tony Rickardsson was in the SKY studio during the Cardiff GP it was evident that even he was in awe of what Tomasz Gollob does on a speedway bike, that says it all for me.

Gollob is simply a speedway genius, no less.

It is absolutely fantastic that his abilities and effort have finally been rewarded with a world individual title.

The young up and coming Polish riders I've no doubt has been influenced by the great man as well, this may be Tomasz's greatest legacy to world speedway.

When Tony Rickardsson was in the SKY studio during the Cardiff GP it was evident that even he was in awe of what Tomasz Gollob does on a speedway bike, that says it all for me.

I recall an interview with Greg Hancock ahead of one of the Bydgoszcz GPs when he said something along the lines of all the riders liking to watch Gollob strutting his stuff around the Polonia circuit. I think there is universal admiration among the riders for Gollob's ability on a speedway bike.

Congratulations Tomasz Gollob. I am also one of those who don't like the guy too much but it is nice to see that someone achieved after 22 years of trying...

It makes you wonder how many more titles Tomasz could have won if Ole had departed earlier. It cant be coincidence that as soon as there's some dirt on the tracks, Tomasz walks away with the title.

Purleeeze! Ole did all he could to try and win Tomasz a title between 99 and about 03 before realising he was wasting his time.

I remember being in Prague in 2007 and seeing Gollob roll around in practice completly disinterested. The next day in the GP he scored 00010. I think he hit rock bottom that day as after than he seemed to find himself again and come good the rest of the season.

For years I disliked Gollob but at the same time, had to watch him, you knew he was going to do something stupid, either ride into someone stupid or make a pass that defied every law of physics stupid. In recent years he has grown on me.

A deserved World Title.

Also, Congrats to Leigh Adams on now becoming the greatest rider never to be World Champion.

Also, Congrats to Leigh Adams on now becoming the greatest rider never to be World Champion.

Of the Grand Prix era. Not of all-time.

All the best

Rob

Anyway, to add my tuppence about Gollob, I'm glad to see him finally win the championship, as he's such a exciting rider to watch. I remember being blown away when I saw him live at Bydgoszcz, the TV coverage doesn't quite do it justice just how amazing Gollob is around there.

To me, though, the injury he caused to King Emil takes the shine off just a little bit. That was such a dangerous reckless move and Gollob was highly lucky that he didn't join Emil on the sidelines for the rest of the season.

And Gollob is very much a one-time champion. He's made the most of his opportunity this year, but had either Crump or Sayfutdinov been fit for the whole season, they'd have beaten him, as 2011 will demonstrate.

All the best

Rob

And the long road to the world championship started with this point, courtesy of an engine failure for Apator's Wojciech Żabiałowicz (easily copied and pasted, harder spoken, I'd say), for Bydgoszcz against Torun way back in 1988:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2011/05/08/zobacz-jak-tomasz-gollob-zdobyl-swoj-pierwszy-ligowy-punkt-w/

Edited by ladyluck

And the long road to the world championship started with this point, courtesy of an engine failure for Apator's Wojciech Żabiałowicz (easily copied and pasted, harder spoken, I'd say), for Bydgoszcz against Torun way back in 1988:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2011/05/08/zobacz-jak-tomasz-gollob-zdobyl-swoj-pierwszy-ligowy-punkt-w/

well it took him long enough

well it took him long enough

Again, it had to be said that any rider who has never been so fortunate would be more than happy to wait 20 years or so to become world champion.

I remember Erik Gundetsen saying in 1984, "not many people are lucky enough to become world speedway champion but I'm one of them."