British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Only British Riders From 2011 + Weymouth News.

i dont believe for a second there is not enough british youngsters to fill NL or academy teams. myself being a 19 year old hoping for a shot i rode in 2 academy league teams last year and it was not through lack of interest by riders but by clubs. also if anyone took the time to visit events by scunthorpe, str etc they would see there is a good standard of british youngsters but many frustrated not getting opportunities due to commonwealth riders filling too many places. the NL was suppose to be a development league but brithish riders are struggling to delelope and get league experience due to commonwealth riders. myself and many others i know will 100% back the british rider only league

Come on, Lance, you know how easy it is for these little Englanders to slag off the number of Aussies in the NL, (how many was it? Four!) who are the sole cause of the poms not producing any good riders of course, rather than getting off their backsides and actually DOING something about it!

just to clear up its not "little englanders" slagging off aussies in NL. for starters brit riders are not sat on their backsides doing nothing there are alot of riders making alot of effort trying!! myself started riding 18months or so ago and have really struggled due to lack of schemes to help us not lack off effort! i work 15 hour shift to just try and pay for a few minutes of track time a week coz its so difficult in england.we have a good standard of amateur league over here but getting experiences and opportunites is very tough because there are alot of foreigners not just aussies taking up too many places in our leagues. i agree they should be allowed to ride over here but there should be a limit and a minimum amount of brits in each team! also some training schemes wouldn't go a miss! i think people should be more considerate before slaggin british riders down there are alot making big sacrifices to get around hoping for a chance!!

We keep hearing about all the British youngsters that are kept out of a NL place by the Aussies and older riders.

Surely, if these riders were serious about getting a National League team place, they would be riding in the second half at NL tracks, trying to

impress and ger a team slot. That is what riders used to do in the past.

Only a few years ago at Rye House, there were regularly 8 or more riders in the second half. This season we are lucky to see 3 riders. Newport and Buxton have also recently stated that they struggle to get riders for the second half.

By placing even more restricitons on who can ride at NL level ( ie only 1 rider over 25 per team, as some have suggested), will result in a much weaker product, and drive away even more fans.

When Adam and me have been to amateur meetings we have talk to the young English riders. Most say they would ride for nothing, all they wanted was to get there travelling expenses. Then when the club thought they were ready to sort out payment of £10 a point, all of which would go done in a contract. There are schools out there run by riders/ex riders but when they wont to charge £100 to £200 a school it is getting to high. As when u take in the travelling as well u r looking in paying out £200 to £300 a school.

just to clear up its not "little englanders" slagging off aussies in NL. for starters brit riders are not sat on their backsides doing nothing there are alot of riders making alot of effort trying!! myself started riding 18months or so ago and have really struggled due to lack of schemes to help us not lack off effort! i work 15 hour shift to just try and pay for a few minutes of track time a week coz its so difficult in england.we have a good standard of amateur league over here but getting experiences and opportunites is very tough because there are alot of foreigners not just aussies taking up too many places in our leagues. i agree they should be allowed to ride over here but there should be a limit and a minimum amount of brits in each team! also some training schemes wouldn't go a miss! i think people should be more considerate before slaggin british riders down there are alot making big sacrifices to get around hoping for a chance!!

Adam, none of us are slagging off British Riders here mate, its the powers-that-be that need to get behind people like you; the Promoters, the Sponsors and the Hierarchy need to do more to assist those that deserve a chance. Can't see how having less than 5% Aussies in the NL is holding Brits back: there's a darn sight more 30+ Riders doing that. As for the PL and the EL - surely the public are entitled to get what they pay for, not understrength teams or an outmoded quota system.

Edited by BigFatDave

We keep hearing about all the British youngsters that are kept out of a NL place by the Aussies and older riders.

Surely, if these riders were serious about getting a National League team place, they would be riding in the second half at NL tracks, trying to

impress and ger a team slot. That is what riders used to do in the past.

Only a few years ago at Rye House, there were regularly 8 or more riders in the second half. This season we are lucky to see 3 riders. Newport and Buxton have also recently stated that they struggle to get riders for the second half.

By placing even more restricitons on who can ride at NL level ( ie only 1 rider over 25 per team, as some have suggested), will result in a much weaker product, and drive away even more fans.

Hi shippy22, we have travelled all over thee country from Basingstoke for 2nd halfs and will keep going. But one problem is some meetings run over and dont get the time on the track. u spend out alot of money to do so, when u could spend it on a training/amateur days. We wrote to every promotor asking if they had a 2nd half place to let us know. Replies 0

i dont believe for a second there is not enough british youngsters to fill NL or academy teams. myself being a 19 year old hoping for a shot i rode in 2 academy league teams last year and it was not through lack of interest by riders but by clubs. also if anyone took the time to visit events by scunthorpe, str etc they would see there is a good standard of british youngsters but many frustrated not getting opportunities due to commonwealth riders filling too many places. the NL was suppose to be a development league but brithish riders are struggling to delelope and get league experience due to commonwealth riders. myself and many others i know will 100% back the british rider only league

I certainly don't want to knock your efforts but in my view its an absolute myth that Commonwealth riders prevent British youngsters getting into NL sides.

For a start, there are a handful - about 8 - and they are of a much higher standard than those who would be looking for a team place as first season novices, so the team positions they are taking is completely different.

I went to an STR meeting at Scunny last year and the best rider on view was Rob Hollingworth and, with respect to him, he is in his 50's. I am wholly unaware of a significant number of young British riders who are of the necessary standard to compete at an NL level, and that's a view shared by Jayne Moss (on here) and at least 3 other NL team managers or ex team managers that I have spoken to.

I try to do my bit to support the U15 championship - I sponsor Adam Kirby and saw the meetings at Northside, Buxton & Plymouth - and have absolutely no wish to have British riders excluded in favour of any foreigners.

I am not convinced, however, that a total ban is in the interests of the NL and that means it is not in the interests of the development of our riders of the future.

Adam, none of us are slagging off British Riders here mate, its the powers-that-be that need to get behind people like you; the Promoters, the Sponsors and the Hierarchy need to do more to assist those that deserve a chance. Can't see how having less than 5% Aussies in the NL is holding Brits back: there's a darn sight more 30+ Riders doing that. As for the PL and the EL - surely the public are entitled to get what they pay for, not understrength teams or an outmoded quota system.

There is simple answer to all of this, NDL 1 rider over 25 to help the youngsters out, 1 comm, 3 under 25 English and 2 under 18's

i agree EL and PL deserve the best quality only and foreign riders earn the right to race if they are good enough but if the NL was more a development for british riders there would be more competition from them to get in the PL and EL

I certainly don't want to knock your efforts but in my view its an absolute myth that Commonwealth riders prevent British youngsters getting into NL sides.

For a start, there are a handful - about 8 - and they are of a much higher standard than those who would be looking for a team place as first season novices, so the team positions they are taking is completely different.

I went to an STR meeting at Scunny last year and the best rider on view was Rob Hollingworth and, with respect to him, he is in his 50's. I am wholly unaware of a significant number of young British riders who are of the necessary standard to compete at an NL level, and that's a view shared by Jayne Moss (on here) and at least 3 other NL team managers or ex team managers that I have spoken to.

I try to do my bit to support the U15 championship - I sponsor Adam Kirby and saw the meetings at Northside, Buxton & Plymouth - and have absolutely no wish to have British riders excluded in favour of any foreigners.

I am not convinced, however, that a total ban is in the interests of the NL and that means it is not in the interests of the development of our riders of the future.

standard of racing is NDL level in which a lot of riders in meetings like Scunny our, that is what the league was called and is called by alot of the BSPA.

Hi shippy22, we have travelled all over thee country from Basingstoke for 2nd halfs and will keep going. But one problem is some meetings run over and dont get the time on the track. u spend out alot of money to do so, when u could spend it on a training/amateur days. We wrote to every promotor asking if they had a 2nd half place to let us know. Replies 0

I applaud the effort you are putting in... There was a disagreement on here recently when a youngster complained against his second half ride being canned. The response "It was canned because a genuine replacement for XXXX was given the track time, why would we allow this slot for just a wobbler anyway" sadly, I think the response pretty much sums up what you are up against before you turn a wheel. I personally think every track should pay into a pool and support free track time and bikes for any under 18's interested in Speedway.

Speaking as someone who watches these youngsters at Scunny I see where they are coming from.......Unfortunately their cries for help will go by un-noticed by the majority of people. There has certainly been no shortage of kids to my reckoning. its just a question of how long they persevere befor giving in.......I hope with all my heart for these kids that the NL is made into a proper developement league, so that our own british kids can progress to the standard of the commomwealth younsters when they come over and can compare with them in competing for league places. We need this league to be for first timers as they have to start somewhere.

Just to give an alternative viewpoint, and I am all for giving the youngesters a chance, thats what I spend my time working on.

BUT

If you make it a proper development league you need to think about the following:

1) Will the BSPA reduce their costs to the promoters of the clubs running at this level. The standalone clubs need to run a business and BSPA fees, referee fees etc would need to be looked at. Also points money would need to be standadised/controlled.

2) Will stadium owners reduce their fees for a development league.

3) Will engine tuners and other manufacturors reduce their fees for development riders, as points money will need to drop and therefore the riders income as well.

In the current economic climate clubs need to be run as business' and you need to know that you would have a solid fanbase who would come and watch your product every week.

I to follow the Under 15s as well as amatuer meetings at Scunthorpe and Iwade and they do not get decent enough crowds to run at this level when the entrance is free so you have to have a mix and have a product that people will pay their hard earned cash to watch.

Im not being negative just giving out some facts that would need to be taken into account before any major decisions were made.

This is the age old "third tier" problem that we have faced for 10 years or so. Clubs running second/junior teams in the NDL cannot be run the same way as standalone clubs. There has always been a fundamental issue between both, one runs for development the other as a business.

The issue with young british riders is just the latest in a long line of issues that need to be addressed by the BSPA at this level.

Finally I hope someone takes a chance on Adam Kirby (and Brendan Freemantle) next year in the NDL as the top 2 Under 15s this season.

There's no simple answer, but something needs to be done.

Nikko

Nikko, We've been here befor on other threads......I know from those that you do a lot for youngsters, I do nothing but cheer them on as a fan, but I do feel sorry for our kids and It must be heart breaking for them when they keep banging their heads against a brick wall. As for all the promoting business and the BSPA.....well what can you say? They tend to be a breed that will only do their own thing!.....We just have to hope that between them they will come up with answers soon.

Edited by June

Just to give an alternative viewpoint, and I am all for giving the youngesters a chance, thats what I spend my time working on.

BUT

If you make it a proper development league you need to think about the following:

1) Will the BSPA reduce their costs to the promoters of the clubs running at this level. The standalone clubs need to run a business and BSPA fees, referee fees etc would need to be looked at. Also points money would need to be standadised/controlled.

2) Will stadium owners reduce their fees for a development league.

3) Will engine tuners and other manufacturors reduce their fees for development riders, as points money will need to drop and therefore the riders income as well.

In the current economic climate clubs need to be run as business' and you need to know that you would have a solid fanbase who would come and watch your product every week.

I to follow the Under 15s as well as amatuer meetings at Scunthorpe and Iwade and they do not get decent enough crowds to run at this level when the entrance is free so you have to have a mix and have a product that people will pay their hard earned cash to watch.

Im not being negative just giving out some facts that would need to be taken into account before any major decisions were made.

This is the age old "third tier" problem that we have faced for 10 years or so. Clubs running second/junior teams in the NDL cannot be run the same way as standalone clubs. There has always been a fundamental issue between both, one runs for development the other as a business.

The issue with young british riders is just the latest in a long line of issues that need to be addressed by the BSPA at this level.

Finally I hope someone takes a chance on Adam Kirby (and Brendan Freemantle) next year in the NDL as the top 2 Under 15s this season.

There's no simple answer, but something needs to be done.

Nikko

Nikko

I am not having ago because I do understand about the costs for the club. On your 3rd point the engine costs is the same for all, so we still pay for engine tunning and service out of r own pockets, so it is no expenes to the club. So if we did sign for a club and got paid it would help us. Plus as I said early there is alot of youngster that would only want travelling money.