British Speedway Forum
fullockracingwa

Rob Woffinden Classic 20/10 Pinjar Park, Perth Wa

More great news for Perth speedway fans as Swedish internationals Ricky Anders Kling & Pontus Aspgren have committed to the prestigious Rob Woffinden Classic. This is fast becoming the biggest gathering of international speedway riders at a single event in Australia for years. SMCWA President Mr Andrew Heeps confirmed the news today, we are delighted these two young Swedes can make it to Perth, we've been in talks for a few weeks now and its all fallen into place nicely. What a lineup and what a great boost for Pinjar Park and the SMCWA, its just what the sport in Perth needed and the support we've had for this event has been tremendous, Heeps added.

We set out 12 months ago to make this a very special meeting for Rob and the family, words cant explain what this means to so many people here in Perth. The SMCWA has invested allot of time and energy into making season 2010/11 the turning point for Pinjar Park. (Andrew went on to say).

Visit the Rob Woffinden Classic MiniSite at www.speedwaywa.com.au

Confirmed International Riders -

Ty Proctor, Aust

Steve Johnston, Aust

Tai Woffinden, Eng

Freddie Lindgren, Swed

Simon Stead Eng,

Lugvig Lindgren, Swed

Ricky Kling, Swed

Joe Haines, Eng

Pontus Aspgren, Swed

Plus -

Frank Smart, WA

Daniel Winchester, WA

Brad Muller

Media Liaison

SMCWA

Mod Note: STOP setting up duplicate topics for the same meeting - final request

Dont buy the paper every day meself..but I do usually get Wednesdays as it has Midweek Motorsport, in the middle section which includes a speedway section. Although this weeks failed to mention the WA titles held at Karatha for both solos and sidecars which was pretty lame. Usually its good and mentions the bikes, and it did have a mention of the big meet on the 20th as it should, including visiting riders, and photo of Proctor..although the front of the motoring section was a full page sprintcar photo as it was opening night from memory. :unsure: come the week before the Bigun, that photo will be solos. B) hopefully, as well as some hopefully ads in the sports section and a decent mention in the saturday paper of the event.

Infact if I was in charge the Saturday paper backpage would have a decent size colour ad and the bigger the better, if not as big as possible in the closest page to the back as possible in the sport section. Will they be able to fit them all in though, bloody oath with the new viewing areas and massive turn out could be achieved and I'd guess 5,000 would have little trouble gettin in. With some advertising could it be reached?? wait and see...

edit: and I have to mention this section also had an article and photo of Darcy Ward after he backed up his junior Crown' which was very good. Not many other papers round the country wouldve done that.

A quick reply to dirt.

Ken Brown here - I write the Wednesday Speedway column in The West Australian newspaper.

Thanks for your kind words re bike news.

I do try to give each section some space in the paper.

The WA Solo & Sidecar Championship was not mentioned because I have received no news at all from Karratha about the meeting - even though I was promised to get full report (still waiting for the nomination list that I was promised too).

Pretty annoying I can tell you.

Hope to see a big crowd at Pinjar Park for the Rob Woffinden Classic meeting on the 20th.

Ken Brown

A quick reply to dirt.

Ken Brown here - I write the Wednesday Speedway column in The West Australian newspaper.

Thanks for your kind words re bike news.

I do try to give each section some space in the paper.

The WA Solo & Sidecar Championship was not mentioned because I have received no news at all from Karratha about the meeting - even though I was promised to get full report (still waiting for the nomination list that I was promised too).

Pretty annoying I can tell you.

Hope to see a big crowd at Pinjar Park for the Rob Woffinden Classic meeting on the 20th.

Ken Brown

No worries, Ken, its great to know speedway will be in the paper, and Im happy to buy Wednesday just for that.

Karratha didnt even release details to SMCWA , so I now understand why it wasnt in your section.

I will continue to look out for your section and will happily keep even more of an eye on it.

It is fair and Ive noticed even coverage of all speedway types. Good on you for not forgetting the bikes and doing good promotion for Pinjar Park.

Thanks for letting me know and replying, I presume you must have a soft spot for the bikes and its great keep up the great work.

ps. For anyone interested ;I remember an earlier article this year I think when Frank Smart went back for one meeting in England for a reunion, it had a huge photo and story about the great Frank Smart and his latest challenge.

This is a special event coming up.

When will be this meeting? When will be first meeting of this season in Australia?

When will be this meeting? When will be first meeting of this season in Australia?

20th November 2010.

I think there has been junior races, and a team fixture for the Darren and Sharron Boocock Scholarship tour.

Edited by superguest

This meeting is this Saturday 20th November. Jump on a flight and you could still make it!

Pretty hot days leading into this one and another hot one expected on Saturday. It has only rained one day in the last month and not expecting rain until Sunday arvo when the possibility of storms are expected and on Monday, but should be clear for Saturday, with some watering gonna be needed as its been dry as a desert for days and temp in mid 30s, up to 37 expected but wait and see. Forecasts are not accurate more than 4 days ahead so Ill keep checkin. edit: 37 thur, 38 fri, 36 sat is the current prediction. with little chance of rain till Sunday, when a sprinkle will cool off the visiting poms.

There has been meetings already with 3 official meetings for bikes in WA alone 2 at Pinjar and 1 at Karratha which was WA championships, but results were not released except for placings. Winner Leigh Boujos, 2nd Daniel Winchester.

Edited by dirt

20th November 2010.

I think there has been junior races, and a team fixture for the Darren and Sharron Boocock Scholarship tour.

Gillman was on last week; I'd have mentioned it but was otherwise engaged! From the Gillman website:

:: Solos

Solo Division One Scratch Races (4 laps)

Points: #11 Nigel Sadler 10 (1,3,R,3,3), #4 Robert Branford 8 (2,1,3,F,2), Justin Sedgmen 5 (3,2,FX,N), Brenton Barnfield 5 (R,0,2,2,1), #9 Robert Medson 2 (0,0,1,1,0).

hahhhahah - its time to explode!

The time is coming for a cracking meeting, and I cant do updates I think but could give results shortly after its finished, if no one else has it sorted anyway.

21st CH should be around here so maybe they have it sussed already. :unsure:

Still predicting a late afternoon/evening shower, which if at the right time and amount could be perfect I would guess.

Cooler weather today, with cloud cover, yesterday 39degrees.

Seen them practice on thurs night and it will BE flatout cracking racing with the swedes hopefully getting their machines through customs before tapes fly up tonite and not have to rely on Johnnos spare local bike.:o:lol:

I think it's pretty obvious who the sentimental favorite will be tonight. and I'm not game to make a prediction

edit: Heading off shortly, Crank it on!

weather perfect and overcast no sun to dry the track out, will stay moist and be tip top.

Edited by dirt

In case there was no live updates I better put some results up, before my word gets broken.

Heat results to come but for now:

1st - F. Lindgren

2nd - T. Proctor

3rd - S. Johnston

4th - R. Kling

more to come.

Interesting evening at the small track and no prisioners were spared in a rugged tussle to the bitter end.

My report wont be much good as I didnt take my usual position on the first bend to the Heeps Hill, where you can actually feel like your on the machine, such is the brillant vantage point and track shape.

I do however know what I saw so will still give a wrap up.

Ht. 1. Pontus Aspergren 0, Stead 3, Proctor 2, Qualifier -

comments: Proctor obv should have had a practice on the thurs night instead of watching, but he knows he will respond later.

Ht.2. Winchester 2, Ludvig 3, 2 qualifiers -

comments: dont remember, but Ludvig looked impressive during some of the night and shows balls and a useful style.

Ht.3. R. Kling 1, Qualifier - ,Johnno 3, Fred 2

comments: Johnno made the start and wasnt headed with Lindgren not making an impact on the unfamiliar track! not easy to pass all night mind you.

Ht.4 Smart 1, Tai W. 2, Joe Haines 3

Joe moved before the tapes rose and anticipated it though to sneak out in front and maintained it by solid riding.

Ht.5 Smart 3, Pontus F/ex, Winchest 1,Kling 2

Smart got in front and although Kling had the speed he couldnt get around the cagey veteran on his home soil

Ht.6 Woff 3, Lud 2, - -(qualifiers)

think it was this one where Wuff looked superb running high and low for fun and smooth and ultra fast. looked likely winner at this stage, for overall honours.

Ht.7 Johnno 3,Stead 2

Ht.8 Proctor 3,Haines 1, Fred 2

Ht.9 Johnno 3, Lud 1, Pontus 0, Haines 2

Pontus claiming a hatrick of ducks.

Ht.10 Fred 3, Winch 2, Qualies - -

Ht 11 King 3, Pieman 2,Tai 1

Bad trapping is bad racing and a costly 1 point from Tai when he couldnt afford it all coz bad trapping.

Ht 12 Proctor 3, Smartie 2 - -

Proctor was carving up the track at this point and displaying an amazing amount of power when in a half lock and a classy individual with a future. Rides this track like he owns it.

Ht 13 Fred 3, Tai 2, Pontus 1

Fred obv trapped and couldnt be reigned in.

Ht 14 Smart 2, John 3

easy pickings for johnno, and combined with great starts from his first 3 rides has been on the money with his setup and reactions out of the traps - first bend!

Ht 15 Haines 2,Pieman 3,Winch 1

predictable.

Ht 16 Re run after 1st attempt had no Ludv in it so they decided it must be done right with 3 starters inc Ludv this time round. Proctor won the race btw beating Kling.

Race stopped as proctor was gaining on king and about to overtake him, proctor shakes head at his unluck, as its reran x3.

Proctor 3, King 2, Lud 1

Race of the decade with Proctor getting just rewards this time by snatching it on the line in almost a photo finish if you were slightly blind. Typical grinding gutsy riding from Ty and best pass all night If im not mistaken. typical from Proctor to do that when he could have been spitting chips after twice being unlucky, but no he decides to reel in Kling like a queenfish and gaff him on the line!

Ht 18 King 2 , Haines 3

Kling made a mistake about turn 1 and Haines went by and made him pay.

Ht 17 should be above^ Aspergren completes a mare by overlocking it and doing a 360 pivot when in command in front of 2 locals. Rips his helmet cover and i think goggles also and throws them down in frustration and disgust with himself.

is ex as a local had to drop his bike and rerun for the locals.

Ht 19 Pieman 2, Fred 3,Smart 0,Lud 1

Fred starting to show some balls and ride like he means it, after coasting in a couple of 2nds to start with.Time 41.47 only 10 /100ths of a second slower than the opening heat won by Pieman in 41.37, proving the track holds its speed consistently.

Ht 20 Tai 3, Proct 2, Johnno F/Ex, Winch 1(think)

Tai had command of both runnings with Proctor using the high line to catch Johnno in 1st run and pressure him into submission and buckeled under the pressure being applied through Proctors speed and johnno almost clattered the fence but has the skill to avoid damage and layed it down instead.

Tai did well to gate and win this in hindsight, but it meant nothing as he still had to win the repercharge. Bit stiff there.

Repercharge 4th - 7th.

Little announcement or preperation before this heat just came out of nowhere and were about to start.

Haines was there but did nothing , Stead , Kling and Wuff

race stopped; Woffy was fighting like a terrier after i think getting past one and giving it all to reel in the leader but hit a rut that developed in turn 3-4 area as he was going high and wide and had to eventually bail out as was heading into the wall, just in time it seems he got off and the bike was worse for wear after tumbling down the track after slamming the side of the wall and cartwheeling. Woffy stayed down initially and riders ran over from the pits but he got up and looked a bit worse for wear but most likely just bruised up and a few sore spots. He is a tuff campaigner.

rerun. Stead couldnt catch kling but it wasnt for lack of trying, he really cranked it on and was partly out a control and like a loose cannon in his quest to reighn him in, but just desperation and confidence to ride it like that, but to no avail this time. Good preformance from stead, on one of Woffies bikes.

GRAND.

dunno who chose what gate but from inside: Proctor, Lindgren, Johnno, Kling

Lindgren literally flew from the tapes and got a good jump start with Proctor soon confirming he was the only man to be able to make some ground back.

Proctor gave it a shake but fell a few meters short, but was ready if Fred made a slight mistake even at the end, to pounce and claim what he came for, and finish the job he intended to do. Johnno 3rd from Kling 4th.

Great dispay again from TYron, and Tai was unfortunate not to be straight into final. Fred was able to master the track well enough and make the important start in the final, but not sure he had more pace than Ty or Tai when they found space, they looked awaesome.

Fred managed to get the job done and congratulations to the visitors on a fine display and hard riding.

I just got the feeling fast Freddie didnt like or enjoy the small track overly much compared to tai or ty who seemed happy to ride it and have been quoted as regarding it their favourite track in the past so its not surprising Freddie wasnt instantly in love with the requirements for this track, but as I say he improved and got the job done.

just wish I was in my usual spot, so I could have seen his technique a lot better.

Well done to the Wolves blokes for showing great dedication to the commitment needed for individual encounters over here.

They deserve a lot of credit, hope its only light bruising for Tai, and if they ride a few more meets at this track watch their records jump next year as they will develop 100%

You learn more at this track than big flat out wide open tracks, its just not a lot can ride it well enough to hang in and persist for very long.

Proctor said this track enabled him to go to England, and he will always be happy to give back.

edit: He actually said if it wasnt for this track, he prob wouldnt of made it to England, so is happy to give back.

Ricky Kling deserves mention too and was ultra impressive.

Watch the DVD.

Edited by dirt

Bit harsh on young Pontus there dirtbag me ol' mate, considering the Swedish boys only got the bikes from Customs 4 hours before the meeting and had to put 'em together then run the 180m track with zero practise!

Well Done to all the Riders who took part and Congratulations to Freddie - Championship material!

Edited by BigFatDave

I was just saying he wouldnt of been happy with what happened all night and he was unlucky when managing to fall when looking good more than a few times.

It would have been frustrating for him as he was doing well but its a fine line to setup the bike so as to try and avoid the sudden lockups or pirouettes which seemingly come out of nowhere - in the middle of a turn.

Similar to what Bryce Johnson experienced in the opening night of the season.

The wheels seem to get a sudden amount of extra spin and it may be just throttle control, or bad -timing, or an ill-performing bike set-up which causes inconsistent bursts of power, which cant be handled for some reason.

Never didnt rate his ability or potential! or bag him, he looked great and gave it all.

Simon was riding a Woffinden bike, as was Ludvig all night I believe, and it would be interesting to know what they each were on during the night and watch it all again if it was recorded from what would be the correct angle.

A DVD or youTube of it all will def be coming soon.

and 180m old chap' is a generous measurement with it more like 142.

and the young Swedes both came out twice for practice runs together on the night before the first heat and an ideal time to dial in, practice and set- up or adjust the bike.

Just proves this track is not easy to race - One (Kling) could manage it, and the other (Pontus) couldnt quite do it or get it on the night but they were hard to separate looking from practice and looked just as good to the naked eye.

edit: judging from this performance Proctor will be a GP rider. His professionalism was first rate, and sounded mature when interviewed. He rides small tracks like this better than most in the world and has steady but sure development and improvement each visit to Perth.

If the GPs were on small tracks like this (technical I think is the word)starting tommorrow he would be up with the best of them.

Wolves have a great asset. and he is a genuine tip for top 3 in Ozey Champs, if not better. Looks to have beefed up arms / upper body a bit and is a tantilising prospect, with his head screwed on right. Gonna take some beating in the future. Near future!

Edited by dirt

Congratulations to Freddie Lindgren on a great performance to win the Rob Woffinden memorial meeting! A great meeting seen by a large crowd saw Freddie beat Ty Proctor (2nd), Steve Johnston (3rd) and Ricky Kling(4th). Johnno was the meeting's early pace setter with impressive wins in his first four rides before falling in his fifth ride. A great performance too from Ty Proctor but he couldn't catch the Swede who got better as the meeting went on after two second places in his opening rides. Strong performances too from the spectacular Simon Stead and Tai Woffinden who took a heavy fall in his last ride but thankfully walked away and appeared to be ok. Stead mentioned in an interview that four riders were riding three of Woffy's bikes (Woffinden/Lindgren/Stead and Ludvig Lindgren(?)).

A great night's racing put on by the Speedway Motorcycle Club of WA !

Winners!

cAN i JUST CONCLUDE by saying this meeting was brilliantly set up and put on by the smcwa who deserve all the credit.

This track has potential and is unique re its size and gives visitors a new challenge which should never be taken lightly, and on this occasion the fast freddie lindgren did his part and made it official; this track is no sunday arvo stroll inthe park, it has to be attacked and ridden for what its worth, and Freddie came good and well done to all competitors , a truly great effort from the Wolverhampton riders who must just about start next season as favourites after they showed the tream spirit and closeness they have at wolves by visiting and putting on a master class.