British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

New Teams For Nl

Hopefully there'll be some new teams in the NL to make up for the likes of Bournemouth closing along with others and Plymouths proposed move into the PL but I'm not holding my breath!

Bournemouth was run under the Poole promotion which is very possibly the best supported track in Britain. If they can't make NL racing viable then it doesn't give much hope for others?

As for for new standalones, well if any were intending to open for next year we'd of probably heard about it now. The (possible/probable?)reopening of Mildenhall is all we'll get in this area I suspect?

The likes of Norwich Great Yamouth, Iwade, Bristol, Exeter, Cornwall, Long Eaton, Boston, Ellesmere Port, Crewe, one in Scotland, Sunderland, Milton Keynes/Northampton, Hull, Wimbledon, Swansea and probably others could support 3rd tier racing and maybe higher but the chances of any of these and other surfacing in time for next season would be extremely low!

Edited by 25yearfan

Whilst I am on the subject; I am surprised no one else picked up on my point of JOINT promotions with there Landlords at <Greyhound race Tracks> Speedway on the whole has far larger attendances than Greyhound nights, and for a reduction in rent joint promotions could be offered by both parties, as i feel Greyhound racing would have far more to gain from this in attendance figures than Speedway, but the real benefit would be in reduced rental for Speedway promotions.

I guess your comment about Speedway having bigger crowds than greyhounds must be based on Monmore Green in which case I bow to your superior knowledge on that venue... Am doubtful though that this is the case everywhere: Belle Vue, Perry Barr, Brough Park..: higher crowds for Speedway...?

My experience of Dog Racing these days is at Romford (which of course doesn't double up as a Speedway track) but the crowds at Romford on Fridays & Saturdays (yes, two consecutive nights...) are hugely bigger than anyone could seriously dream of should Speedway return to that Essex town..

Parsloes, I used to be kennelhand for a greyhound trainer and visited Doncaster, Coventry, Belle Vue, Perry Barr, Swindon, Monmore, Wimbledon, Sheffield,and more recently Poole and except for the prime Friday/Saturday nights i can assure you greyhound racing in the UK is struggling, go along in mid week and barely 150 will be at most tracks,daytime meetings on the BAGS it will be 1 man and his dog there, then its safe to assume Speedway will also struggle during mid week, its also usually £6 to attend a greyhound race meeting as opposed to £10+ at most speedway meetings.

But my main point is surely its time put on meetings ie weekends for the NL which is on the whole far more easy to attend than midweek meetings, that is what i fail to understand with promoters they are reluctant to move with the times, if they are unsure,then put on a trial Saturday/Sunday afternoon meeting and see what the response to that is, nothing ventured nothing gained. :wink: One of the best supported nights i ever visited at a greyhound meeting was on a summers SUNDAY evening at Sheffield, when they put on a charity night, every race was sponsored by a local business, and 50% of the gate takings were given to a local Charity, and a raffle was taken amongst the crowd altogether a figure in excess of 4 figures was raised, but also it raised the profile of greyhound racing locally.

Its just a small idea that could be used for a speedway Benefit meeting once per year, all local Radio stations and some TV stations will happily give free publicity for such an event, and local newspapers, maybe local businesses will not only sponsor a race, but also sponsor a rider for the evenings racing, again alll good publicity for all sides concerned, but does Speedway involve itself in this sort of thing, i am afraid to say they do not, except for collections for The Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund.

Edited by greyhoundp

But my main point is surely its time put on meetings ie weekends for the NL which is on the whole far more easy to attend than midweek meetings, that is what i fail to understand with promoters they are reluctant to move with the times, if they are unsure,then put on a trial Saturday/Sunday afternoon meeting and see what the response to that is, nothing ventured nothing gained. :wink:

I agree with you that Saturday afternoon is the largely untried time slot... works well enuff for Football obviously, so why not (in the Football cloe-season...) try it for Speedway too..

I guess your comment about Speedway having bigger crowds than greyhounds must be based on Monmore Green in which case I bow to your superior knowledge on that venue... Am doubtful though that this is the case everywhere: Belle Vue, Perry Barr, Brough Park..: higher crowds for Speedway...?

I would doubt that about Perry Barr, they had to scrap Thursday night greyhounds because of poor crowds and this year the Stadium Manager was made redundant by the GRA, yes you heard me right the Stadium Manager!! :shock:. The stadium is run by I believe a more regional manager now.

Well all I can say is that Romford dog track must be bucking the trend then!

One needs also to remember that dog racing is nearly always on several nights a week...

No wonder crowds are down on less popular nights like Thursday...

As for Perry Barr losing its manager, just three words needed to describe such a tendency to jettison key operational staff..: Greyhound Racing Association...!!!

At Plough Lane shortly before the Speedway was shown the door they sacked the Stadium Electrician and one thing a dog track needs (especially one with antiquated wiring...!) is a sparks!!

Well all I can say is that Romford dog track must be bucking the trend then!

One needs also to remember that dog racing is nearly always on several nights a week...

No wonder crowds are down on less popular nights like Thursday...

As for Perry Barr losing its manager, just three words needed to describe such a tendency to jettison key operational staff..: Greyhound Racing Association...!!!

At Plough Lane shortly before the Speedway was shown the door they sacked the Stadium Electrician and one thing a dog track needs (especially one with antiquated wiring...!) is a sparks!!

And may I ask who owns the GRA - a Venture Capitalist group whose sole interest is promoting greyhound racing. I think not. There is some very valuable real estate in those stadiums which will eventually all go the same way and that is into housing. That is when they will get their money back and in the meantime they just let them run down into delapidated facilities which any self respecting council will not object to a housing estate being built to get rid of the eyesore. Call me cynical but the only people venture capitalists look after is themselves.

My experience of Dog Racing these days is at Romford (which of course doesn't double up as a Speedway track) but the crowds at Romford on Fridays & Saturdays (yes, two consecutive nights...) are hugely bigger than anyone could seriously dream of should Speedway return to that Essex town..

when romford last staged speedway it pulled in really big crowds, sometimes bigger than top flight neighbours west ham. if by some miracle the bombers were to return, i'm sure it would be a success all over again.

And may I ask who owns the GRA - a Venture Capitalist group whose sole interest is promoting greyhound racing. I think not. There is some very valuable real estate in those stadiums which will eventually all go the same way and that is into housing. That is when they will get their money back and in the meantime they just let them run down into delapidated facilities which any self respecting council will not object to a housing estate being built to get rid of the eyesore. Call me cynical but the only people venture capitalists look after is themselves.

when romford last staged speedway it pulled in really big crowds, sometimes bigger than top flight neighbours west ham. if by some miracle the bombers were to return, i'm sure it would be a success all over again.

Two absolutely spot-on postings..

This is EXACTLLY what the "venture capitalist" owners of the GRA intend for themselves and for the stadia they own.. What's so tragic having sat last evening with real people who love Oxford Speedway and Oxford Stadium so much and knowing so well as I do, people who lived and breathed the Dons and Wimbledon Speedway is the fact that people's lives are made so much the worse by the cynical, uncaring and sheer selfish greed of such "venture capitalists".

THIS is what we should also be out on the streets rioting about!!

And yes, sadly Romford closed literally just before I attended my first Speedway meeting and in any case as an Orpington lad then I'd have had no idea where Romford was!; but I go to Romford almost ever day of my life now and I fully believe that if the Bombers could be reborn in a town where leisure and entertain,ment is so important it could indeed be a huge success again...

Two absolutely spot-on postings..

This is EXACTLLY what the "venture capitalist" owners of the GRA intend for themselves and for the stadia they own.. What's so tragic having sat last evening with real people who love Oxford Speedway and Oxford Stadium so much and knowing so well as I do, people who lived and breathed the Dons and Wimbledon Speedway is the fact that people's lives are made so much the worse by the cynical, uncaring and sheer selfish greed of such "venture capitalists".

THIS is what we should also be out on the streets rioting about!!

And yes, sadly Romford closed literally just before I attended my first Speedway meeting and in any case as an Orpington lad then I'd have had no idea where Romford was!; but I go to Romford almost ever day of my life now and I fully believe that if the Bombers could be reborn in a town where leisure and entertain,ment is so important it could indeed be a huge success again...

Romford was a place I didn't mention in my list in this thread but that place supported speedway in huge numbers before and I'm sure if someone could get the sport introduced to the very smart dog track then that place would enjoy big crowds!

It would be nice to have a leisure firm buy the GRA with the intention of maintaining the stadiums cause we'd have Oxford and Wimbledon back in speedway!

Romford was a place I didn't mention in my list in this thread but that place supported speedway in huge numbers before and I'm sure if someone could get the sport introduced to the very smart dog track then that place would enjoy big crowds!

Most speedway was far better supported during that period so there is no guarantee that it would be now. Alas, the return of speedway returning to Brooklands, I suspect, is slightly less than zero after the protests made which closed it down in the first place following the 1971 season.

Speedway will never return to Romfords Brookland stadium because it was knocked down in the late 0's and now has housing on the site!

Romford Dog track could fit a speedway track inside though like you said they' be guarantees that it would be supported by sufficient numbers, though I'd give it a better chance than many!

Romford Dog track could fit a speedway track inside though like you said they' be guarantees that it would be supported by sufficient numbers, though I'd give it a better chance than many!

But would take a miracle to get Speedway approved at the London Rd. track - as this is literally surrounded by homes. Indeed I know of no dog track so completely surrounded by houses..: why it's virtually in people's back gardens!!! :rolleyes:

Well,well i never expected Stoke Potters to be entered into the NL, yes i could have forseen them entering a team under the banner of Crewe Kings, but dropping down from the PL that i never imagined.

Cant see that Leicester will be ready for the PL, this year, but the NL is a different proposition altogether, also things seem to have gone a little silent on Sittingbourne for the PL, would the NL be an option for them in there 1st season..?