British Speedway Forum
boston five

Future Of The National League

I wouldnt imagine the Promoter at Weymouth is going to say anything different, as he is trying to get rid of the club, and his debts.

I think this might just be true :approve:

I think its clear that Bournemouth will pull out, but Mildenhall, Weymouth & Bristol look more positive than before and I got told at Plymouth that Bodmin have found a new site.

In addition, I have also heard a rumour that the success of Dudley might prompt others to go the same way.

Fingers crossed. :)

That would be brilliant news if there are new tracks/teams to add to the mix, there always seems to be some surprise new addition each year, hope it's not just Bartlett talking it up so he can sell easier. Surely not enough time for Bristol to go ahead by 2011 though, much as i'd love it to be true, if all goes well with the objections 2012 would be a realsitic target?

A brilliant letter in this week's Star about how farmers protect birds (in some cases) just so 'sportsmenm' (sic) can come in the hunting season and shoot them - and how THAT is a legitimate activity in the countryside... :neutral:

No wonder planners and NIMBY's and developers alike all fear Speedway fans, coz when it comes to coming up with brilliant arguments in defence of tracks (new ones or preventing demolition of existing ons) there are some terrific people out there and some superb arguments..

The Big Society to me should include us being allowed to have the sport we love!!! :approve:

As i posted earlier in this Topic,i would not be at all surprised to see an actual increase in NL Teams for 2011, so far there has been only one definate alleged resignation "Bournemouth" i would be 95% sure something will happen at Mildenhall, and i personally would be dissapointed if there was less than a 12 strong NL League for 2011. Other teams may follow Dudleys lead now they have shown an example in running a succesful and PROFITABLE NL Team, under a different name,and not as just a 2nd team under the same name..

I spent 6 months travelling to many meetings with my son and i believe that the league is giving a lot of young kids great experience.

As for problems with the rules, maybe the promoters need to get together and nut out some answers and put them to the bspa.

Wether they would listen is debatable but the future of the sport needs people and promoters like yourself.

I ve given some thought to the problem where if you have more than one rider out for various reasons you cannot use a guest.

At the start of every month the bspa can release a riders average, say 4 and under make them a 1, between 4.1 and 5 make them a 2,and so on up to a 10 point average and if more than one replacement

is required or even for an r/r you can use a rider with the same number as a guest.

This way riders would pick up extra rides and the situation that happened towards the end of the season could be avoided.Also riders that are trying to break into the Premier league but still need the National league to fall back on wont be as big an issue to be replaced when fixtures clash.

Cheers Chopper

Edited by chopper

Yes i agree R.R is useful in some instances,maybe a way round it is,ONLY use a rider as RR whose average over HIS LAST FOUR meetings is comparable to the rider he replaces,this MAY stop stronger replacements being used than the rider they replace, this ruling was taken advantage of in some instances in 2010 and before.

"On Radio WMs' speedway forum last night Nigel Pearson revealed that Bournemouth will not run next season but that Mildenhall are expected to return".

How does he know that? Its a very strong statement.

What, has Tony Dart managed to start his car and get a mobile?!!! Obviously the return of Mildenhall would be great news but recent disappointments suggests this is a case of nothing is signed until it is!

What, has Tony Dart managed to start his car and get a mobile?!!! Obviously the return of Mildenhall would be great news but recent disappointments suggests this is a case of nothing is signed until it is!

Correct Howard!

However the article quoting Dave Coventry in the latest Speedway Star is encouraging, and I agree totally with the comments he makes.

Sadly i dont have a copy of the SS but if anyone does it is, I feel, worth posting on here.

As i posted earlier in this Topic,i would not be at all surprised to see an actual increase in NL Teams for 2011, so far there has been only one definate alleged resignation "Bournemouth" i would be 95% sure something will happen at Mildenhall, and i personally would be dissapointed if there was less than a 12 strong NL League for 2011. Other teams may follow Dudleys lead now they have shown an example in running a succesful and PROFITABLE NL Team, under a different name,and not as just a 2nd team under the same name..

I'd like to think you are correct greyhoundp, but do think you are being rather hopeful here.

From the eleven that started last year it would seem Bournemouth and Weymouth are non starters, Plymouth are applying to go up, Mildenhall are far from definate starters, Newport??,that leaves six and I doubt one or two of them are definate starters (Kings Lynn ?).

As for new clubs, maybe one or two at the most, but personally i'd be surprised if the league is bigger than 8 clubs in 2011. I dont want to be negative here and do hope I am wrong and you are right.

I'd like to think you are correct greyhoundp, but do think you are being rather hopeful here.

From the eleven that started last year it would seem Bournemouth and Weymouth are non starters, Plymouth are applying to go up, Mildenhall are far from definate starters, Newport??,that leaves six and I doubt one or two of them are definate starters (Kings Lynn ?).

As for new clubs, maybe one or two at the most, but personally i'd be surprised if the league is bigger than 8 clubs in 2011. I dont want to be negative here and do hope I am wrong and you are right.

i think you could be right. :(